Rocks with bad intentions

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-08-2015, 10:35 AM
RE: Rocks with bad intentions
From now on, whenever I use the word purple, I mean it as a synonym for dumbass.

Tomasia is purple in the face. Tomaisa is purple.

Once again, it is irrelevant how you use it when what you are doing is comparing it to how others use it or words like "fluke" or "accident." Your use of the word is incorrect and a dishonest manipulation of what others have said.

Another example of your dishonesty.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-08-2015, 10:42 AM
(13-08-2015 10:33 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "i'm using the word "unintentional" "incorrectly

Unconventionally? Sure. Incorrect? No.

If it were incorrect, than common synonymous would also be incorrect. As well as all the definition that don't imply consciousness, that are defined along the same way accidents, and flukes are.
13-08-2015, 10:46 AM
(13-08-2015 10:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 10:33 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "i'm using the word "unintentional" "incorrectly

Unconventionally? Sure. Incorrect? No.

If it were incorrect, than common synonymous would also be incorrect. As well as all the definition that don't imply consciousness, that are defined along the same way accidents, and flukes are.

"Incorrect?" Yes, when you ignore what others meant by the words "fluke" or "accident" and use language that misinterprets what they meant.

And you have been told explicitly what was meant and that it has nothing to do with intent. Making your use of words related to intent, a wholly dishonest discussion.

You can't even stand to admit that this is what you're doing.

Called out on bullshit, double down on bullshit. Just like a typical theist. Facepalm

-Rick
13-08-2015, 10:51 AM
(13-08-2015 10:35 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  From now on, whenever I use the word purple, I mean it as a synonym for dumbass.

Once again, it is irrelevant how you use it when what you are doing is comparing it to how others use it or words like "fluke" or "accident." Your use of the word is incorrect and a dishonest manipulation of what others have said.

Manipulation would require equivocating. You seem to imagine if I believed the results of the D20 dice rolls was a fluke, this would mean something different than if Rocketsurgeon would mean by "fluke"?

Why don't you tell me what I mean by it?
13-08-2015, 10:58 AM
(13-08-2015 10:51 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 10:35 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  From now on, whenever I use the word purple, I mean it as a synonym for dumbass.

Manipulation would require equivocating. You seem to imagine if I believed the results of the D20 dice rolls was a fluke, this would mean something different than if Rocketsurgeon would mean by "fluke"?

Unintentional which implies the capacity for intent is possible but didn't exist for this occurrence.

Called out on bullshit, double down on bullshit.

-Rick
13-08-2015, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2015 11:26 AM by Tomasia.)
(13-08-2015 10:58 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Unintentional which implies the capacity for intent is possible but didn't exist for this occurrence.

Called out on bullshit, double down on bullshit.

Now, if it wasn't a fluke, what would that imply? Would it imply intent?
13-08-2015, 11:40 AM
(13-08-2015 09:04 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Poor ol' Tomasia. Guy's just a got a raging case of cosmic narcissism, that's all.

Statistics defy our incompetent human "intuition".

What does this incompetent human intuition suggest?
13-08-2015, 11:48 AM
(13-08-2015 10:51 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Since when does "maipulation require equivocating" ?

Oh My. Such big words for someone who can't even write a sentence in English.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
13-08-2015, 11:48 AM
(13-08-2015 09:20 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 08:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  A better term would be "non-intentional". "Unintentional" has the connotation of being capable of being intentional.
It would be similar to the difference between "uninterested" and "disinterested".

I'm not trying to express the absence of something, but the opposite of something.

What's the opposite of a fluke, the opposite of an accident?

Purposeful.

Quote:If one were to claim the D20 die that rolled 20s straight was a fluke, I'm claiming the opposite. Pitting one positive claim against an opposing positive claim. In this regard an un- would be more appropriate than a non-.

I wouldn't use the word "fluke" unless the outcome was fortuitous. Otherwise, the more appropriate term is "low-probability event".

Quote:Instead of unintentional vs intentional, it could just as well be fluke vs intentional, but I've already expressed numerous times already, that I'm using the term unintentional as synonymous with the words accident, and fluke.

There you go with 'fluke" again. Your word choices are, as has been pointed out, biased.

Quote:Non-intentional might be a term more favorable for those who want to express an absence of belief. But I'm not trying to express an absence of belief, with the word unintentional.

No, non-intentional is more appropriate for those who wish to express an absence of intention.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-08-2015, 11:50 AM
(13-08-2015 09:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 09:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  That is a false dichotomy. A third possibility is that the universe simply could be no other way.

Which would be the equivalent of two people arguing as to whether the die that rolled 20s a hundred times in a row, was a fluke, or intentional (weighted dice, etc..), and a third person (third possibility) who wants to point out that "they just did".

Of course the third option, is not an alternative to the two possibilities, but is just stating a fact, that the other two likely already acknowledge. It's not really a third possibility at all. It's sort of like if I were arguing with my wife as to whether we misplaced our wedding rings, or if the gardener stole it, and her brother imagining that he's offering up a third possibility, by telling us our rings are missing

It is nothing like that. It is possible that the laws of physics can be no other way than they are, including the presence of mass-energy. That is not the same as either of the horns of your (false) dilemma.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user