Rocks with bad intentions

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-08-2015, 05:17 PM
(13-08-2015 05:12 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 05:09 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  A person can have intent and design it for a purpose. The object has no intent. You're a fucking idiot.

If you think a watch doesn't have an intrinsic purpose, I'm sorry to break it to you, but you're the idiot.

If you design something to serve a purpose, that purpose becomes intrinsic to the designed object.

It can be designed by a conscious entity for an intended purpose by the designer or the actor using it. The watch has no capacity for intention or unintention. It doesn't intentionally tell time correctly. It doesn't unintentionally tell time incorrectly. A human could intentionally or unintentionally make it tell time correctly or incorrectly.

You. Fucking. Moron.

Keep doubling down on your bullshit AND your stupidity.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-08-2015, 05:18 PM
(13-08-2015 05:17 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 05:13 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Facepalm

No, no; hear him out!

1. Some objects are deliberately created by humans.
2. Therefore, conclude assert all objects to be deliberately created.
2a. The universe exists.
2b. The universe was not deliberately created by humans.
3. Therefore, conclude assert that the universe was deliberately created by some non-human agent.
5. That agent was unknowable my incredibly specific imaginary friend.
6. ???
7. Profit!!

Brady is disappoint.
[Image: 31dbed031fcab428b6714c3e7c81fc9f.jpg]

-Rick
13-08-2015, 05:24 PM
RE: Rocks with bad intentions
(10-08-2015 09:11 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Given some of the more recent attempts on the forum by theists to ascribe intentionality to the universe (including examples that require conscious actors), I submit the following example.

Rock falls off cliff and kills man unintentionally. World stunned that rock was able to tell world it wasn't intentional.

Is there any scenario where a rock (no conscious actor involved, including pushing the rock as that would mean the rock pusher killed them using the rock) kills a man intentionally?
Destiny. Everything happens for a reason. Imo. Thanks.
13-08-2015, 05:28 PM
(13-08-2015 05:24 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 09:11 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Given some of the more recent attempts on the forum by theists to ascribe intentionality to the universe (including examples that require conscious actors), I submit the following example.

Rock falls off cliff and kills man unintentionally. World stunned that rock was able to tell world it wasn't intentional.

Is there any scenario where a rock (no conscious actor involved, including pushing the rock as that would mean the rock pusher killed them using the rock) kills a man intentionally?

Unintentionally.

-Rick
13-08-2015, 05:29 PM
(13-08-2015 05:14 PM)cjlr Wrote:  we've already established that unlikely events can't possibly happen on their own - their must be an underlying, intrinsic purpose suffusing them…

Who said unlikely events can’t happen on their own? The dice that rolled 20s, a hundred times straight could just as well been a standard dice, rolled just like every other dice is rolled, it could happened. We’d call it a fluke, but it could happen.

Quote:(incidentally, has anyone made clear to you that the specific sequence of dice rolls 20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20 has precisely the same odds of occurring as the specific sequence 4-3-1-19-14-8-6-18-3?)

No, but thank you for stating the obvious.

Quote:I wasn't really kidding about the cosmic narcissism; let the rest of us now gawp at yet another religiously tinged overdiagnosis of agenticity. And yet if I told you I was forced to conclude that flesh-eating Reptiloid aliens controlled all human affairs because that was the only way I could see for the big picture to make sense, would you be inclined to listen?

I might listen, just for kicks, but I’d wonder even if I agreed with you that something was intentional, why would that lead me to believe that Repitiloid aliens controlled it? I might agree with my buddy standing next to me that the die that rolled 20s, a hundred times straight was very likely weighted, but he’ll likely lose me when he starts to claim that the Illuminati was behind it.
13-08-2015, 05:30 PM
The depths of your ignorance know no limits.

-Rick
13-08-2015, 05:31 PM
(13-08-2015 05:24 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  

Another country heard from. Facepalm
13-08-2015, 05:32 PM
(13-08-2015 05:31 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 05:24 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Destiny. Everything happens for a reason. Imo. Thanks.

Another country heard from. Facepalm

Everything happens internationally.

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
13-08-2015, 05:33 PM
(13-08-2015 05:29 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 05:14 PM)cjlr Wrote:  we've already established that unlikely events can't possibly happen on their own - their must be an underlying, intrinsic purpose suffusing them…

Who said unlikely events can’t happen on their own? The dice that rolled 20s, a hundred times straight could just as well been a standard dice, rolled just like every other dice is rolled, it could happened. We’d call it a fluke, but it could happen.

What I left heavily implied but unstated is that merely observing a single "unlikely" event does not allow us to conclude anything about it.

Quote:(incidentally, has anyone made clear to you that the specific sequence of dice rolls 20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20 has precisely the same odds of occurring as the specific sequence 4-3-1-19-14-8-6-18-3?)

No, but thank you for stating the obvious.

Indeed. You seemed to be unaware. My apologies for pointing out the obvious, if you do in fact understand basic statistics. Your posts do not reflect that understanding.

Quote:I wasn't really kidding about the cosmic narcissism; let the rest of us now gawp at yet another religiously tinged overdiagnosis of agenticity. And yet if I told you I was forced to conclude that flesh-eating Reptiloid aliens controlled all human affairs because that was the only way I could see for the big picture to make sense, would you be inclined to listen?

I might listen, just for kicks, but I’d wonder even if I agreed with you that something was intentional, why would that lead me to believe that Repitiloid aliens controlled it? I might agree with my buddy standing next to me that the die that rolled 20s, a hundred times straight was very likely weighted, but he’ll likely lose me when he starts to claim that the Illuminati was behind it.

Illuminati did it?
NAH BRO THATS CRAZY TALK.

God did it?
RIGHT ON BRO INNIT OBVIOUS?

Uh... huh. You do that.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
13-08-2015, 05:37 PM
(13-08-2015 05:17 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It can be designed by a conscious entity for an intended purpose by the designer or the actor using it. The watch has no capacity for intention or unintention. It doesn't intentionally tell time correctly. It doesn't unintentionally tell time incorrectly. A human could intentionally or unintentionally make it tell time correctly or incorrectly.

You. Fucking. Moron.

Keep doubling down on your bullshit AND your stupidity.

This shouldn't require an extensive amount of brain power on your part to figure out where you've gone wrong.

A watch is designed by its designer to tell time. The purpose of telling time is intrinsic to the watch. It is what it means to be a watch.

If you disagree with this, please define what a watch is.

I'll sit here and wait while you work out how not to contradict yourself.