Rocks with bad intentions

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-08-2015, 04:05 PM
RE: Rocks with bad intentions
(16-08-2015 12:46 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  There’s no real meaning difference between a one-sided die, or weighted die, since they both only allow for one possibility only. A weighted die, and one-sided die only allow for one result, one possibility.

You have yet to show any reason to believe that the dice are weighted in the case of the universe.

You also have yet to show any reason to believe that the dice being weighted indicates the necessity for a creator. Perhaps this is the only way the universe could possibly have turned out. The response to that is not "obviously, a wizard is responsible".

It is "so what?".

(16-08-2015 12:46 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Now, something about this screams out “intention” for me. And if one does not particularly try to silence his intuitions, that scream should be as audible to them as well.

Intuition is not an argument. It isn't even the beginnings of evidence.

And no, the feeling you speak of is not as universal as you think.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Unbeliever's post
16-08-2015, 04:06 PM
(16-08-2015 04:05 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(16-08-2015 12:46 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  There’s no real meaning difference between a one-sided die, or weighted die, since they both only allow for one possibility only. A weighted die, and one-sided die only allow for one result, one possibility.

You have yet to show any reason to believe that the dice are weighted in the case of the universe.

You also have yet to show any reason to believe that the dice being weighted indicates the necessity for a creator. Perhaps this is the only way the universe could possibly have turned out. The response to that is not "obviously, a wizard is responsible".

It is "so what?".

(16-08-2015 12:46 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Now, something about this screams out “intention” for me. And if one does not particularly try to silence his intuitions, that scream should be as audible to them as well.

Intuition is not an argument. It isn't even the beginnings of evidence.

And no, the feeling you speak of is not as universal as you think.

His weighted dice is the presupposition that this universe is the only one capable of sustaining life (specifically humans). He is a presuppositionalist (aka, an admitted user of confirmation bias). Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
16-08-2015, 04:43 PM
(16-08-2015 04:06 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  His weighted dice is the presupposition that this universe is the only one capable of sustaining life (specifically humans). He is a presuppositionalist (aka, an admitted user of confirmation bias). Drinking Beverage

Oh, yes, I know. I'm just pointing out that, even supposing that he's right on that front, and literally any other configuration of the fundamental constants would have completely destroyed any possibility of life, that's still no reason to assume the existence of a creator.

There are really only two possibilities for Tomasia's argument here: either there are multiple possible universes, in which case trying to claim that this one is special because it's the one we ended up with is the Texas sharpshooter fallacy, or there aren't any alternatives, in which case he crowbars a creator in for no reason and commits the bare assertion fallacy.

Either way, it's not particularly compelling.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
16-08-2015, 04:50 PM
(16-08-2015 04:43 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(16-08-2015 04:06 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  His weighted dice is the presupposition that this universe is the only one capable of sustaining life (specifically humans). He is a presuppositionalist (aka, an admitted user of confirmation bias). Drinking Beverage

Oh, yes, I know. I'm just pointing out that, even supposing that he's right on that front, and literally any other configuration of the fundamental constants would have completely destroyed any possibility of life, that's still no reason to assume the existence of a creator.

There are really only two possibilities for Tomasia's argument here: either there are multiple possible universes, in which case trying to claim that this one is special because it's the one we ended up with is the Texas sharpshooter fallacy, or there aren't any alternatives, in which case he crowbars a creator in for no reason and commits the bare assertion fallacy.

Either way, it's not particularly compelling.

"it's not particularly compelling."

That is a good summation for any and everything Tomasia seems to post. That or "completely wrong" or "dishonest and/or disingenuous"

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
16-08-2015, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2015 09:37 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
I think he's at least trying to think things through, more now than when he first began. I give credit where it's due.

At least, I don't have the overwhelming urge to slap the begeezus out of him, like with GodExists and (sometimes) Pops.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson