Rocks with bad intentions

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-08-2015, 04:11 PM
RE: Rocks with bad intentions
(10-08-2015 02:05 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Our world and our universe are marvels of seeming chaos that is in fact ordered by the laws of physics into a place where we can exist, and it is now clear that it does not need god-magic for this to happen: not the lightning, not the thunder, not the stars, and not ourselves.

You seem like an intelligent young man, and that's a very good point, but I'm afraid that it's turtles all the way down.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
10-08-2015, 04:29 PM
(10-08-2015 02:52 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I want you to show me the evidence the rock unintentionally killed that guy. Where's my evidence of unintention?

The ground around the rock eroded over time, dislodged, and rolled down a hill, governed by the laws of physics, an occurrence that occurs quite frequently for the ground and rocks. A man who was by coincidence strolling by the path of such an occurrence as it was happening, ended up being struck by the rock, and dying, his death just one of many deaths that are flukes, a product of bad luck. The rock wasn't aiming for the man, he just ended up in the path of the downward roll.

What am I suppose to be showing here, since it incapsulates the picture of what is meant by unintentional?
10-08-2015, 04:30 PM
(10-08-2015 10:15 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 09:11 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Given some of the more recent attempts on the forum by theists to ascribe intentionality to the universe (including examples that require conscious actors), I submit the following example.

Rock falls off cliff and kills man unintentionally. World stunned that rock was able to tell world it wasn't intentional.

Is there any scenario where a rock (no conscious actor involved, including pushing the rock as that would mean the rock pusher killed them using the rock) kills a man intentionally?

I guess my question would be, does a rock falling off of a cliff prove that it is impossible for any god to exist? If not, then the theists aren't really going to see this as a blow.

Only if they take it for granite

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post
10-08-2015, 04:34 PM
(10-08-2015 04:29 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 02:52 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I want you to show me the evidence the rock unintentionally killed that guy. Where's my evidence of unintention?

The ground around the rock eroded over time, dislodged, and rolled down a hill, governed by the laws of physics, an occurrence that occurs quite frequently for the ground and rocks. A man who was by coincidence strolling by the path of such an occurrence as it was happening, ended up being struck by the rock, and dying, his death just one of many deaths that are flukes, a product of bad luck. The rock wasn't aiming for the man, he just ended up in the path of the downward roll.

What am I suppose to be showing here, since it incapsulates the picture of what is meant by unintentional?

Would such an explanation based on natural observations be sufficient to show you God doesn't exist? If not, you'll need to provide the appropriate level of evidence to my rock and man.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
(10-08-2015 04:30 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 10:15 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I guess my question would be, does a rock falling off of a cliff prove that it is impossible for any god to exist? If not, then the theists aren't really going to see this as a blow.

Does it help if they are stoned?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
(10-08-2015 04:30 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 10:15 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I guess my question would be, does a rock falling off of a cliff prove that it is impossible for any god to exist? If not, then the theists aren't really going to see this as a blow.

That joke gabbros

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
10-08-2015, 04:38 PM
The fact that you don't understand the futility of the endeavor of proving unintention in an example were intent is irrelevant ( or your desire to not admit it's futility) says a lot about you.

Namely that you don't know how to admit when you're wrong or ignorant or both.

-Rick
10-08-2015, 04:40 PM
(10-08-2015 04:34 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 04:30 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  Only if they take it for granite

This is a well rounded discussion that is also poorly sorted.

(These may be too specific of a geology joke but roundness and sorting are properties of siliciclastic sedimentary rocks)

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
10-08-2015, 04:55 PM
(10-08-2015 04:40 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 04:34 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Does it help if they are stoned?

This is a well rounded discussion that is also poorly sorted.

(These may be too specific of a geology joke but roundness and sorting are properties of siliciclastic sedimentary rocks)

I'm tempted to say "Sedimentary, my dear Watson", but I've already made enough of an intrusion. Not that it is entirely my fault.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
10-08-2015, 04:58 PM
(10-08-2015 04:34 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 04:30 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  Only if they take it for granite

Not necessarily.