Rocks with bad intentions

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-08-2015, 05:42 PM
RE: Rocks with bad intentions
(10-08-2015 05:34 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  This thread is a hot spot for geology puns.

It helps to start with a clean slate. Shale we continue?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
10-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Just keep them cummingtonite

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
10-08-2015, 05:45 PM
Seismic Worship Slaves

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
10-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Guess I can chalk this up to a learning experience. Well, time for me to hit the bed. Rock on.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
10-08-2015, 05:53 PM
I'll p-wave goodbye

-Rick
10-08-2015, 05:54 PM
This thread got eroding hard and put away wet

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
10-08-2015, 05:54 PM
It has a steeper angle of repose than I imagined.

-Rick
10-08-2015, 06:00 PM
There is so much pressure on me to produce good puns that I'm blueschist in the face.

-Rick
10-08-2015, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 07:06 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(10-08-2015 02:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  While I find the universe awe-inspiring, mysterious and elegant, I find it to be awe in a little sense. I think there's something far more enchanting, far more awe inspiring to life than stars and a thousand universes could ever be, something that strikes me with wonder at just the thought, than can encapsulate an endless amount of dreams, and art and poetry, that doesn't exist in the cold and objective world in front of it, but in the intimate world we live. One that centers around communion, and friendship, love, and solidarity, and hope. There is a far greater awe in that lived and intimate life of man, than any that you can likely ever offer me.

Wow. Holy shit, dude. I go out for a bike ride and grab some chow, and come back to this shit? I haven't even read the rest of the thread yet, so I hope someone else already addressed this, but just in case I'm gonna stop NOW and address it:

What in the hell makes you think I, we, don't have "communion, and friendship, love, and solidarity, and hope" in the atheist world?

The best people I know, with very few exceptions, have been atheists. The communities we build, when we can find one another (since we are, sadly, still largely in the closet--in heavily-religious communities--or just don't think our atheism is relevant to mention in everyday conversation), are magnificent. I had a great group, back in Kansas, which is still going strong, and of which one of the other TTA members here is still a member in real life. I'm still friends and in communication with people I knew in atheist groups in college and in places I lived after graduation. They remain people whom I admire and respect and enjoy.

The astounding... no, staggering... arrogance of your statement, made as though we atheists focus only on the universe but lack the things you apparently feel are unique to the religious communities, rather than inherent to the human condition, is simply appalling. You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking it. I can be both awestruck at the vastness of the universe and able to love my friends and family and community.

And even if none of this were true, even if atheism was still a life of loneliness, spent staring up at the stars, it is still not a reason to embrace religious dogma, simply to "fit in" with other delusional persons. Something is wrong with you if you think otherwise.

(Edited to correct grammar.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
10-08-2015, 07:18 PM
(10-08-2015 07:02 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 02:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  While I find the universe awe-inspiring, mysterious and elegant, I find it to be awe in a little sense. I think there's something far more enchanting, far more awe inspiring to life than stars and a thousand universes could ever be, something that strikes me with wonder at just the thought, than can encapsulate an endless amount of dreams, and art and poetry, that doesn't exist in the cold and objective world in front of it, but in the intimate world we live. One that centers around communion, and friendship, love, and solidarity, and hope. There is a far greater awe in that lived and intimate life of man, than any that you can likely ever offer me.

Wow. Holy shit, dude. I go out for a bike ride and grab some chow, and come back to this shit? I haven't even read the rest of the thread yet, so I hope someone else already addressed this, but just in case I'm gonna stop NOW and address it:

What in the hell makes you think I, we, don't have "communion, and friendship, love, and solidarity, and hope" in the atheist world?

The best people I know, with very few exceptions, have been atheists. The communities we build, when we can find one another (since we are, sadly, still largely in the closet--in heavily-religious communities--or just don't think our atheism is relevant to mention in everyday conversation), are magnificent. I had a great group, back in Kansas, which is still going strong, and of which one of the other TTA members here is still a member in real life. I'm still friends and in communication with people I knew in atheist groups in college and in places I lived after graduation. They remain people whom I admire and respect and enjoy.

The astounding... no, staggering... arrogance of your statement, made as though we atheists focus only on the universe but lack the things you apparently feel are unique to the religious communities, rather than inherent to the human condition, is simply appalling. You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking it. I can be both awestruck at the vastness of the universe and able to love my friends and family and community.

And even if none of this were true, even if atheism was still a life of loneliness, spent staring up at the stars, it is still not a reason to embrace religious dogma, simply to "fit in" with other delusional persons. Something is wrong with you if you think otherwise.

(Edited to correct grammar.)

Not to mention anything we do is out of sincerity rather than a commandment to do so . . .

[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post