Rocky vs. Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2015, 10:23 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2015 10:26 AM by TheInquisition.)
Rocky vs. Jesus
Was Rocky Balboa real? I think we all know the answer to this question, but what if we were to go 2000 years into the future to answer this question?

We know there wasn’t really any mention of Rocky Balboa until the movie “Rocky” came out in 1976, after 1976 there are numerous mentions of this figure from history. Apollo Creed was the World Heavy Weight Champion in Rocky. So if Rocky was real, we would see Apollo Creed’s name on the historical list of World Heavy Weight champions. We go through the list of Heavy Weight Champions around 1976 and see that in the 1968-1983 time frame there were these Heavy Weight champions:

Jimmy Ellis, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Muhammad Ali, Leon Spinks, Ken Norton, Larry Holmes.

Muhammad Ali was champion during the 1974-1978 timeframe when this movie was released, but no Apollo Creed? Hmmm.

I look for evidence of the boxer Muhammad Ali and see he made many appearances on the Dick Cavett show and Johnny Carson show in that period, but there was no Apollo Creed or Rocky Balboa during that time period on these shows.

In the movie, the fight was an exhibition match between Rocky and Apollo, so what were the exhibition matches that Muhammad Ali was in during his career? It turns out there were quite a few, but there is one that stands out – the match between Muhammad Ali v Antonio Inoki

In this match, Ali participated in basically a promotional stunt between him and a well-known Japanese wrestler in 1976, the time-frame is about right, but not quite. Could this be the template for the story of Rocky? When you read about this fight it’s like a comedy, they hyped the match, showed personal animus between each other and Ali didn’t even take the fight seriously, Inoki didn’t either, he just realized he could use the publicity to get his name in the spotlight and make some money from the hype.

When the fight finally happened, it amounted to Inoki dropping on his butt, scooting around the ring trying to kick Ali in the legs for fifteen rounds while scooting on his butt. It was an utter embarrassment that had people that attended the fight shouting “money back! money back!” when the fight ended.

This sure doesn’t sound like the fight in Rocky, but its timing is almost right, it was an exhibition match that Ali didn’t take seriously, it ended in a draw. It mirrors several plot elements in the movie.

Could we ever resolve this controversy of the reality of Rocky so far removed from the event? Probably not, but there are some conclusions we could make.

1. If the story of Rocky Balboa was real, it almost certainly didn’t happen the way it did in the movie.
2. Rocky and Apollo were probably based off of other boxers of that era.
3. It follows a general and popular mythos of the underdog, common in that era.
4. There are no historical mentions of Rocky before the movie was released.

So what could we conclude about another popular story with mythical elements from 2,000 years ago?

I would say that the mythology of Rocky vs. Jesus ends in a draw……

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2015, 10:42 AM
RE: Rocky vs. Jesus
After reading this post I started shouting in my living room ... "Money back!!"

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-02-2015, 02:02 PM
RE: Rocky vs. Jesus
You have the wrong basis for the wrestling exhibition. It was Andre the Giant and the boxer made the mistake of making him mad. Hulk Hogan and Sly did an almost shot for shot recreation up to the end (where Sly puts Hogan in a sleeper hold) The real Boxer went back to his dressing room not back into the ring.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user