Rogue One - Review

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2016, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2016 12:11 AM by Aractus.)
Video Rogue One - Review
Okay, I saw this film last night, my full review is here. This is a summary (only mild spoilers follow):

Good points:
  • Decent cinematography
  • Decent comic-relief character
  • Good pacing
  • Mostly decent dialogue
  • Much better Star Wars look, feel, and atmosphere compared to Force Awakens
Bad points:
  • Lacklustre story with key plot points being overly predictable
  • Characterless
  • Too dialogue-heavy
  • CGI Peter Cushing
  • Darth Vader was out of character
  • Characters with no connection to the Jedi whatsoever saying "may the force be with you"
  • Blind character keeps his eyes open all film
  • Action sequences have their potential suspense ruined by being inter-cut with other action sequences
  • Traitor's actions not believable (how did the same "deliberate sabotage" end up in Death Star two?)
  • Poorly scored
Verdict: The film is just as shit as Force Awakens, but for different reasons. Even the worst of the prequels - Attack of the Clones - still had some great action scenes, as well as an easily followed well flowing plot.

Rant: Who's hair-brained idea was it to give CGI Peter Cushing much more screen time than the real Peter Cushing in the original film? The film makers do not understand the balance that needs to be struck between the screen time the bad guys get vs the good guys. Most of the time a really great film is adapted to the cinema from a novel you have to sacrifice the story of either the antagonists to focus more on the protagonists or vice-versa. A great example of this is Silence of the Lambs - the movie focuses squarely on Clarice Starling and sacrifices the story of Jame Gumb to achieve it. Tarkin has no story, so there's no reason for him to be so overused in the movie - in fact in my view he shouldn't have been used at all. It just undermines the truly great performance we got from the real actor.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aractus's post
16-12-2016, 09:16 AM
RE: Rogue One - Review
I read the above review, but I disagree with all the bad points. In the words of MST3K, "Repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax."

The film did have a more Star Warsy feel than Force Awakens, so that was a welcome change. The plot was good, the, characters were believable, and there was plenty of humor written into the script. I would have liked to have seen some more familiar races so I could play Star Wars Bingo, but at least I got to play, "Identify that race: Miraluka or just plain human?" (I won that game)

All in all, the movie was fantastic. Leaving the theater, the crowd was overwhelmingly pleased and one woman declared that this movie made up for the rest of 2016. Go in to the theater with the simple goal of watching and enjoying the latest episode of the greatest Space Saga ever written, and you will not be disappointed.
Find all posts by this user
16-12-2016, 09:19 AM
Oh, and Mads Mikkelsen and Diego Luna were smoking hot. Blush
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
16-12-2016, 10:43 AM
I'm going to see it at a matinee today. So I'll have to render my judgment then. But I am quite open to it being a departure from the trilogy of trilogy movies with their shiny effects and small child friendly elements.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
16-12-2016, 04:45 PM
I went, I saw .. was I not entertained? I was. Thoroughly enjoyable tale and well told. I cared about the characters and knowing their situation was not survivable didn't hinder that one bit. It added an element of tragedy, something never before seen in the Star Wars cosmos. Well, unless you count the story told of Anakin in the prequels. But they never succeeded in making me care too much, so not the same. I'll see it again.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
16-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Ah... maybe put that in a spoiler so people don't have to go into the movie already knowing it was the butler. Wink
17-12-2016, 01:35 AM
Rogue One
AMAZING FILM! Almost makes up for how HORRIBLE The Force Awakens was. Superb I must say! If anyone here is a "real" star wars fan, than you will want to see this ASAP because it is not another Phantom Menace, nor is it a force awakens. This is a New Hope good! This is revenge of the Sith good...this is...STAR WARS GOOD!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
17-12-2016, 04:07 AM
(16-12-2016 04:45 PM)whateverist Wrote:  I cared about the characters and knowing their situation was not survivable didn't hinder that one bit.

Eh, I never cared about the characters. The PT you're right, we don't care about Anakin - but I think we can at least identify with the conflicting values he holds. He respects Palpatine very much, and Windu tries to off him in cold blood!

At least the PT didn't have that dreadful old poof Wink (see clip at 37:19 in the video):

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-12-2016, 10:07 AM
(14-12-2016 09:00 PM)Aractus Wrote:  Rant: Who's hair-brained idea was it to give CGI Peter Cushing ...
According to IMDb Tarkin was played by actor Guy Henry. They do not follow the credit with (voice) as they do with James Earl Jones who voiced Darth Vader. They may have done some CGI on Henry's image but I doubt that since a good make-up job is probably less trouble.

Sapere aude
17-12-2016, 12:33 PM
Saw it. Liked it.

My thoughts are basically... "If you're not a Jedi.. or boning/going to bone a Jedi... You're toast. Only Jedi get to walk out of hair-brained schemes.... Every one else who tries such hair-brained schemes karks it."

A friend of mine as we're walking out of the cinema voiced the opinion: "Oh... So it was 'Disney does Suicide Squad'...only better..."

I Laugh out load at that idea. Big Grin