Roku 3 yes or no?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Roku 3 yes or no?
I am sick of my satellite company. I am considering buying a Roku 3. Should I?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2013, 10:09 AM
RE: Roku 3 yes or no?
I have the Roku2, and I have to say that I absolutely love it. Apart from the many different free movie and TV channels that you can choose from, I use my sister's Netflix account to watch movies. She uses my Amazon account to do the same thing, so it's win-win for both of us. The only downside is that they don't have a youtube channel yet. Also, some of the channels, like the one for the Sci-Fi Channel (at least the last time I checked), only have clips from shows and not the full versions. The pros outweigh the cons, though. Make sure you buy an HDMI cable. Mine just came with the normal red, yellow, and white hook ups.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
04-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Pretty sure I'm getting a chromecast for Christmas (if not I'll be pissed because I would have just bought one a while ago).

Anyone know any pros /cons vs the roku?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
04-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Dang! I knew the US was a wealthy nation but seriously... you each have your own satellite?

Awesome.

Ohmy

04-12-2013, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 10:59 AM by GirlyMan.)
(04-12-2013 10:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Dang! I knew the US was a wealthy nation but seriously... you each have your own satellite?

Awesome.

Ohmy

I love to watch things on TV. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
04-12-2013, 12:07 PM
(04-12-2013 10:14 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Pretty sure I'm getting a chromecast for Christmas (if not I'll be pissed because I would have just bought one a while ago).

After reading this http://www.technologyguide.com/feature/r...hromecast/ I decided on the Roku for myself.

Chromecast is recommended in that article, but it has no remote and so you need a laptop or other device to control things. That bothers me. I want a remote.

Plus, Roku offers tons more content.

I'll revisit chromecast when it has a few years under it's belt. But I also am starting to really resent "google snooping" and don't want to feed them any more personal info than I absolutely need to.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-12-2013, 03:26 PM
(04-12-2013 12:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  After reading this http://www.technologyguide.com/feature/r...hromecast/ I decided on the Roku for myself.

Chromecast is recommended in that article, but it has no remote and so you need a laptop or other device to control things. That bothers me. I want a remote.

I'll revisit chromecast when it has a few years under it's belt. But I also am starting to really resent "google snooping" and don't want to feed them any more personal info than I absolutely need to.

http://www.hark.com/clips/bzvbrvlshk-wise-choice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2013, 03:34 PM
(04-12-2013 12:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 10:14 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Pretty sure I'm getting a chromecast for Christmas (if not I'll be pissed because I would have just bought one a while ago).

After reading this http://www.technologyguide.com/feature/r...hromecast/ I decided on the Roku for myself.

Right on. The remote doesn't bother me. The kicker for me is YouTube. It's the main reason I want a media streamer, and chromecast has it. Yeah, fuck google, but I don't really have anything to hide that they don't know already.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
04-12-2013, 04:57 PM
(04-12-2013 03:34 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 12:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  After reading this http://www.technologyguide.com/feature/r...hromecast/ I decided on the Roku for myself.

Right on. The remote doesn't bother me. The kicker for me is YouTube. It's the main reason I want a media streamer, and chromecast has it. Yeah, fuck google, but I don't really have anything to hide that they don't know already.

I don't really have anything to hide either, but this whole loss of privacy stuff is just creepy to me, it goes against my grain. But mostly, I want a remote. And I watch youtube on my computer anyway. I want the device mostly for movies and some TV shows etc.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-12-2013, 10:59 AM
I want my own satellite Weeping The bastards are not exactly what you'd call cheap. Oh, and the US has many of them. Tongue

There are other ways of getting your media fix. You can always use a computer to stream video (such as a dedicated computer, game console, etc). There are plenty of services to stream video. Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Play On, etc. Unfortunately the industry is lacking, you can't get anything you want legally.

That said, the only reason I have satellite television services is my wife. I'd be happy to drop it. I rarely watch it, and when I do it is one or two channels.