Roku 3 yes or no?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2013, 11:56 AM
RE: Roku 3 yes or no?
(05-12-2013 10:59 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I want my own satellite Weeping The bastards are not exactly what you'd call cheap. Oh, and the US has many of them. Tongue

There are other ways of getting your media fix. You can always use a computer to stream video (such as a dedicated computer, game console, etc). There are plenty of services to stream video. Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Play On, etc. Unfortunately the industry is lacking, you can't get anything you want legally.

That said, the only reason I have satellite television services is my wife. I'd be happy to drop it. I rarely watch it, and when I do it is one or two channels.

Well, Roku and Chromecast are just ways to use your TV instead of your computer. They just take your wifi and route it to your TV, plus add a bunch of free channels. You can watch everything you watch on satellite that way, just pull it from the web and/or various other cheaper services instead. It cuts your umbilical cord from satellite and cable and you can watch on any TV in reach of your wifi.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Unfortunately, no. You can't get all the software on Roku that you can on a PC. That's why I offered up different suggestions. I have a media server stream to my PS3 in my living room via TVersity (though you could use something like Windows Media). My bedroom TV is virtually unused but I can stream directly to it as is has an integrated NEC and the proper software for most things. Whatever you want you need a peice of hardware that will allow you to view what you want via whatever service(s) meets your needs.

05-12-2013, 12:48 PM
(05-12-2013 12:24 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Unfortunately, no. You can't get all the software on Roku that you can on a PC. That's why I offered up different suggestions. I have a media server stream to my PS3 in my living room via TVersity (though you could use something like Windows Media). My bedroom TV is virtually unused but I can stream directly to it as is has an integrated NEC and the proper software for most things. Whatever you want you need a peice of hardware that will allow you to view what you want via whatever service(s) meets your needs.

ok, I am confused now.

I am not particularly tech savvy, so....

I just have a 3 year old Vizio TV.

I can connect a Roku to it and see a lot of stuff Roku offers, plus you can use Netflix, Hulu Plus, Vudu, Amazon Instant, HBO Go, Spotify, MLB TV, Crackle, Pandora and whatnot. It also has some gaming and the remote acts as a motion controller.

I don't really care to see youtube and my web stuff on it, I'd like to keep that confined to my office. What I do want to do is see movies and TV programming.

What is NEC? What is DLNA / UPnP A/V ? HuhHuhHuh

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man