Rolling Stone cover of Boston bomber

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Rolling Stone cover of Boston bomber
I started hearing on the radio various things about the newest issue of Rolling Stone being pulled from various store shelves due to them using a photo of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on the cover.

I get Rolling Stone...I like the articles particularly about the musicians I grew up with and I learn about new groups. I enjoy some of the interviews of artist but pretty much don't pay attention to anything political in it because I know it can be quite slanted.

So, my issue came in the mail a day or two ago. I did what I always do...put it in a stack of magazines and other mail that I will read through at some point. So I haven't read the article though I will happily read the interview with Willie Nelson that is mentioned on the cover.

Should I be pissed and stop my subscription to the magazine...is it okay that I am not all jacked up over it? It's not like he is the first guy on their cover to be someone I don't care for. I would have rather seen a cover with Willie Nelson on it since he is interviewed for the same issue. I roll my eyes when they put Obama on...not a musician. When they put Justin Beiber on...same point. But Rolling Stone really doesn't influence my life all that much, I just like to read about half of it.

What am I missing...help me out here.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2013, 04:09 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2013 04:25 PM by LadyJane.)
RE: Rolling Stone cover of Boston bomber
Shame on Rolling Stone. I'd be at the least sending a letter if I had bought a subscription.

In this new world we live in, as important and noticeable as money and power are, there is a growing trend in a different currency, which is celebrity-ism. People want to be remembered as somebody. Especially people my generation and younger. (Not saying all people, but many.) In one of Seth's latest podcast about aging, a young listener wrote in about it, saying they wanted to die not as a joe-shmoe who is forgotten but as someone who's memory lives on. People are dying in the name of it. One of the quickest ways to get noticed is to kill for it. It has been mentioned and I believe there is truth to the killing rampages around the world, these people are being remembered, they are famous. Especially in the US where the media sensationalizes everything for entertainment. Rolling Stone just added fuel to the next person's burning desire to make a name in an immoral decision, they have chosen a side by 'faming' someone in their front cover. I'd rather see Malala Yousafzai on the cover, and hear her gripping interview. Rolling Stone should have chose a hero to fame, not a low life.
20-07-2013, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2013 04:26 PM by LadyJane.)
Today at the market I saw a People magazine cover. They had the Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight on the cover (current photos) and a headline of how they're adjusting. They didn't choose Ariel Castro. Better choice, in my opinion.
20-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Excellent point LJ...that's what I was missing exactly.

Don't promote the bad, don't elevate them to celebrity status. Makes total sense, I knew someone here had the answer that I couldn't seem to retrieve from my brain.

I think I am in such a habit of not even noticing the things in the magazine that aren't music related that I just don't even 'see' it.

20-07-2013, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2013 04:32 PM by cheapthrillseaker.)
Whoops! Damnit, this is what happens when you have too many windows open. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
20-07-2013, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2013 04:35 PM by Anjele.)
Dafuq? Cheap, go home you're drunk. Great excuse CTS...the breeze did it...

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-07-2013, 04:23 PM
LJ - I will probably read the article because the subtitle says it is about how he got sucked (suckered) into radical Islam...my curiosity is along the line of the mind control that happened...if it did.

20-07-2013, 04:34 PM
(20-07-2013 04:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Dafuq? Cheap, go home you're drunk.

If only. Weeping

It was meant for KC's thread of sharknado kids.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
20-07-2013, 05:37 PM
I haven't read the article and likely won't. I don't have an issue with the cover to be honest. I think one of the problems with society is that we try so hard to forget about the villains who have committed these horrible acts. We need to talk about them. We need to understand why they did what they did. I understand not wanting the Boston bombers to become 'rock stars' but acting like they don't exist is doing more harm than good. Failing to understand their motives and how they got to that point does nothing to stop the violence.

But then I am one that doesn't believe people are born evil and think the perpetrators are often victims as well.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Grover Norquist actually had a good point on Bill Maher last night... Time put Hitler and Stalin on their cover.

I think it was slightly tasteless but Rollings Stones niche is not taste it's always been about questioning authority and preconceptions... It was a real photo (not doctored) and they wanted to highlight the fact that he was just some kid who you might have been friends with before he went all islamofundee.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post