Roman Catholic Voodoo Hotline

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
RE: Roman Catholic Voodoo Hotline
(03-12-2012 05:01 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-12-2012 04:22 PM)Impulse Wrote:  120 exorcisms per day? Wow, apparently it takes only 12 minutes to cast out a demon (or more like 10 minutes if you deduct travel time between appointments). Those demons aren't so bad after all. Smile
They're just very good at it, you know? They are professionals after all. Drinking Beverage

I've seen better hypnotism. This one was kind of weak. Definitely had the crazy factor though. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2012, 10:48 PM
(03-12-2012 03:25 PM)Tetrarch Wrote:  The Church's views on exorcism are quite peculiar. Excorcisms have been quite rare for centuries (and not since the 60s, as certain catholic fundamentalists erroneously claim). It was happy clappy John Paul II who reinvigorated exorcisms. It's mostly American and Italian though. Perhaps Polish, but I'm not sure about that.

On the other hand, it's quite relieving to keep in mind that church officials nowadays require exorcists to refer potentials subjects for psychological screening, and require the exorcists themselves to have had quite rigorous training. In these circumstances, I'm quite sure exorcism would at best work under the placebo effect, and at worst be a waste of time. Tragedies such as Anneliese Michel can and will be avoided. That's the Catholic Church however. There are still many extremist fringe groups far worse than the Fraternity of Pius X, who don't take such precautions. Quite a few of them trace their origins to a dubious exorcist bishop.

The "psychological screening" is obviously useless if the people still get sent to priests.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2012, 11:56 PM
(03-12-2012 10:48 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(03-12-2012 03:25 PM)Tetrarch Wrote:  The Church's views on exorcism are quite peculiar. Excorcisms have been quite rare for centuries (and not since the 60s, as certain catholic fundamentalists erroneously claim). It was happy clappy John Paul II who reinvigorated exorcisms. It's mostly American and Italian though. Perhaps Polish, but I'm not sure about that.

On the other hand, it's quite relieving to keep in mind that church officials nowadays require exorcists to refer potentials subjects for psychological screening, and require the exorcists themselves to have had quite rigorous training. In these circumstances, I'm quite sure exorcism would at best work under the placebo effect, and at worst be a waste of time. Tragedies such as Anneliese Michel can and will be avoided. That's the Catholic Church however. There are still many extremist fringe groups far worse than the Fraternity of Pius X, who don't take such precautions. Quite a few of them trace their origins to a dubious exorcist bishop.
The "psychological screening" is obviously useless if the people still get sent to priests.
It picks out those who really need help. I'm quite sure most of the people who get exorcised are simply looking for attention. And for those who don't, it's possible that the exorcism will be effective because of their religiosty.

I wonder what happens when the psychologist IS a priest, though.
04-12-2012, 10:12 AM
A psychologist priest seems like an oxymoron to me - shouldn't psychologists be trained to recognize their own delusions too?

As for legitimate psychologists sending a delusional person to a religious exorcism because the person's religiosity would empower the exorcism to cure their mental illness, any psychologist who admitted doing this might very well be stripped of their license to practice. Feeding a delusion by heaping further, stronger delusional crap on top of it is the opposite of what psychologists are trained to do and would be a violation of their professional oaths.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
04-12-2012, 11:14 AM
(04-12-2012 10:12 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  A psychologist priest seems like an oxymoron to me - shouldn't psychologists be trained to recognize their own delusions too?

As for legitimate psychologists sending a delusional person to a religious exorcism because the person's religiosity would empower the exorcism to cure their mental illness, any psychologist who admitted doing this might very well be stripped of their license to practice. Feeding a delusion by heaping further, stronger delusional crap on top of it is the opposite of what psychologists are trained to do and would be a violation of their professional oaths.
It's actually a quite common combination. The faculty of psychology my university was founded by a priest who was a student of Wundt. (Well, he was also an architect, a philosopher and a lawyer.) The Thiery figure was named after him.
08-12-2012, 08:35 AM
(03-12-2012 12:47 PM)Janus Wrote:  'Hi, deliver me from evil': Catholic Church sets up an exorcist hotline to deal with demand

MICHAEL DAY[Image: plus.png]

“We get many requests for names, addresses and phone numbers; that’s why we’ve set up a switchboard in the curia from Monday to Friday from 2.30pm to 5pm,”
Read whole article here

So the demons keep bank hours? lol