Romans 1:20 and psychology

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2016, 09:24 AM
Romans 1:20 and psychology
Greetings, I have a feeling that Romans 1:20 is part of a psychological twist on people's minds.

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

I'm an ex Christian and have anxiety issues (for the sake of full disclosure) and this verse has a weird effect on me. Brings back fears of being wrong and spending eternity in hell.

I believe the verse serves as a power of suggestion and can work with any other suggestion given enough time. Anyone else find something strange with that verse? What's the best way to address the uneasiness? Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2016, 09:31 AM
RE: Romans 1:20 and psychology
Read about "god of the gaps".
They had no better explanations.
We do.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-12-2016, 09:46 AM
It helps to understand the history of hell and then maybe you won't fear it so much Wink The Jewish version of hell (OT) is different than the Christian version (NT) of hell.

Why? Because Christian concepts of good and evil come from the Zoroastrians (a neighboring religion). The Zoroastrians were very skilled at conquering things. And they had their own gods just like many cultures did and do. Now, think of the mentality of the time: If the Zoroastrians are successful conquerors, their beliefs must be the right ones. So let's adopt some of their beliefs into our belief system. This is what caused the shift in the OT version of hell and the NT version of hell.

Richard Carrier explains this in detail:

History of the devil/satan--also explains roots in Zoroastrianism

[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
22-12-2016, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2016 10:06 AM by jennybee.)
Also Romans 1:20 is observable. What I mean is, the people of the time did not know what we know now in terms of science. Imagine you lived during this time period, and you looked around you, and could not explain what you saw. Some being must be letting the rain down (the biblical belief at the time was that God opened windows in the heavens to let rain down). Some being must be making thunder and lightning. Some being must be responsible for day and night. Some being had to make trees and animals and us. So they made up stories to explain their natural environment.

Here's how biblical people saw the world. In the top of the firmament, God would open floodgates and let rain flow down. Nowadays we know that's not where rain comes from Tongue

[Image: firmament.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
22-12-2016, 03:57 PM
I cannot really understand what that bible verse means, the one that you quoted, but is sounds a bit like something "Pascal Wager"-ish. So that would be a fallacy and I am sure you can logic yourself out of it. I mean you have reasons why you don't believe in it generally. If you bring that back to mind every time you get anxious about it, then it will probably stick at some point unless you have more of an emotional personality rather than rational in such situations.

I do understand the anxiety although I came to atheist from a different faith. And just as I mentioned above. I kinda logic myself out of it every time. It doesn't happen much anymore though. For me this took about 7 years to get over it, just to give you a rough time frame, but it is really different for everyone.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
22-12-2016, 04:14 PM
I smell cheese.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
22-12-2016, 05:26 PM
Some of Paul's writings had a lingering effect on me when I left Christianity. That was until I read Paul and Jesus by James tabor.

In this book, I gained a totally new understanding who Paul was. He was a thin-skinned, small-minded cult leader preaching his brand of Christianity.

Early Christianity was awash in all kinds of weird sects in it's early history, it just so happens that Paul's writings had the favor of the various Roman Catholic councils that pushed his writings as canon.

That's all it is, the only reason you ever heard of him was because of Catholic leaders deciding that they favored his particular sect over 100's of others.

So in a nutshell, Paul was a cult leader with as much authority as Jim Jones, Marshall Applewhite or Joseph Smith. When you realize he was just one of many ignorant cultists, then his writings no longer carry any weight. In fact Paul's lunacy is rather amusing to read in the pages of the bible, he deserves no more respect as any other cult leader.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
22-12-2016, 05:28 PM
(22-12-2016 04:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I smell cheese.

nomnom!

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
22-12-2016, 05:33 PM
Oh, hell, it's just a bunch of words in a book written by people who didn't know how the sun "moved" across the sky and thought bats were birds. They didn't know jack shit about anything.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
22-12-2016, 06:27 PM
(22-12-2016 05:33 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  and thought bats were birds.

Michael Keaton has played Batman, Birdman, and now Vulture so there may be something there.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post