Romans 1:20 and psychology

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2016, 07:18 PM
RE: Romans 1:20 and psychology
(22-12-2016 06:27 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(22-12-2016 05:33 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  and thought bats were birds.

Michael Keaton has played Batman, Birdman, and now Vulture so there may be something there.

Gasp Revelation! Ima go back to xtianity before I'm damned forever! Laughat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
23-12-2016, 05:40 AM
(22-12-2016 09:24 AM)SuperBigV Wrote:  Greetings, I have a feeling that Romans 1:20 is part of a psychological twist on people's minds.

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

I'm an ex Christian and have anxiety issues (for the sake of full disclosure) and this verse has a weird effect on me. Brings back fears of being wrong and spending eternity in hell.

I believe the verse serves as a power of suggestion and can work with any other suggestion given enough time. Anyone else find something strange with that verse? What's the best way to address the uneasiness? Thanks.

I am going to answer this at length. It will NOT concern the verse so much.

Before I carry on, Tartus is it okay if I deviate from the norm???

I'm not right in the head. Huh

So this verse is from Romans eh?

Okay, let us look at The Romans.

After all, they are the people named, right?

Rome circa AD90. Domitian is in charge, an "autocrat" (for wont of another word) the like of which had never been seen in the west before Augustus. Remembering at that time Augustus was a god.

There was much ado. They executed the head of the Vestal virgins for promiscuity. All kinds of gossip was afoot in the empire. The more widely the gossip traveled, the more exaggerated and extreme it became.

One can only imagine the shock at seeing a baby born with an elephant's head. (See Livy)

Christianity is sold on the idea that "Rome Fell!"

It's bullshit. Rome existed until 29 May 1453.

From the 4th century it had been xian.

Anyway I am getting sidetracked.

So this passage, to whom does it refer? Jupiter, Augustus?

Religion was free in Rome in AD90. We know this. Domitian had no interest in a tiny sect to which he was ignorant.

So what god is this? Are we sure it is about the xian god? Perhaps this is supposed to be Zeus having killed Kronos?

It would have meant different things to different peoples and classes within the empire. An empire in which there was no racism or xenophobia regarding religion.

Tell me the origin of this scripture.

Then worry.

Until then, why bother?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
23-12-2016, 08:01 AM
(22-12-2016 09:24 AM)SuperBigV Wrote:  Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
Reread that very carefully. Does it really seem accurate to you? It doesn't to me.

Where is this eternal power and divine nature we supposedly have "clearly seen"? Personally, I never seen God. I have never even seen one tiny spec of evidence that he/she/it exists. (And if God did exist, which God would that be exactly?) Sure, I have seen powerful storms and natural disasters and I have seen complex living organisms, but all of this is explainable by science. For most of it we already have the answers. For some others, like exactly how humans came into being without being created, we are getting very close to answering via science.

"Since the creation of the world..."
Huh? First, that assumes the world was created and we already know from science that it was not. Second, God was around supposedly an awful lot before Jesus' time and really hasn't been seen since. So even if there was a God, this phrase is inaccurate.

"...people are without excuse"
This I agree with, but not in the way it was intended. With all the knowledge that we have today through biology, chemistry, geology, archeology, history, astronomy and many other areas, people who are told about this knowledge, but continue to ignore and dismiss it in order to cling to their God beliefs are without excuse. (I'm not saying this is you. I don't know you or the extent of knowledge that you have been exposed to.)

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
23-12-2016, 08:20 AM
The changes and development of the Hebrew concept of "immortality" are actually fascinating to someone interested in History. Before the Exile, when family groups were most important (there was no Bible then), family continuation was what immortality consisted in. After the Exile when those groups had been disrupted, and "individuality" arose as a concept in human ideas, (and thus mono-theism also become more prominent also, as an "individual" - non-family of gods was worshiped), the concept of immortality changed, based on cultural changes. The Jews did not always believe in humans going to heaven, (in fact only the many divine beings lived in heaven). All humans went to Sheol, (good and bad humans) which was neither "bliss" nor "torment".

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-look

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post