Romney’s Religion: Mormon Racism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2012, 11:41 AM
RE: Romney’s Religion: Mormon Racism
I love Mormonism. It seems like an in joke to me. I mean... the angel dude was called Moroni ? I bet it's taken as very bad form to point out the result of removing one letter.

I mean... these religions are such half-assed scams. I don't know how they survive. Scientology. DC9s and fucking Thetans. Mormonism. Reading sacred shit out of your hat. How are we such a credulous species?

But interesting that this Mormon racism hasn't been given very much prominence in the media.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
20-07-2012, 11:43 AM
(20-07-2012 11:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-07-2012 11:29 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Its just a different brand of fairy tale, similar to Catholicism or Islam. If he can put the mormonism out of sight and rule effectively I'll consider him. If it is portrayed as his raison d'etre, then he won't even progress to the consideration stage.
Well, no. It's sillier than RC. It's even sillier than Islam.
The problem is that if he can believe that weird stuff, compartmentalized or not, he can believe any weird stuff. Consider
As Commander-in-Chief, he will have nuclear weapons. Sadcryface
If he wants to direct them at Kolob, I'm all in favor.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
20-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Quote:I have no idea whether Mitt Romney is a racist. However, I do know that
Mormon theology is fundamentally racist, and Romney grew up during a
peak time in Mormon racism when the LDS church opposed the civil rights
movement.
The only problem with this statement (and I am NOT a Romney supporter) is that Mitt's father George was a strong supporter of the civil rights movement. Guilt by association is always BS.

And for the record, the civil rights movement didn't remove ANY of the underlying racism ANYWHERE in the States, not just within the Mormon church.

Also, missionary work is a big thing in the Mormon church, so it isn't shocking that a dude like Romney did it.

I hope Romney gets trounced in the election, but come on guys. Can we actually have some evidence that this guy is a racist before we light up our torches and hit the streets? Have we learned nothing from Fox News or have we all just degenerated to their level?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
20-07-2012, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2012 12:36 PM by Theofrak.)
(20-07-2012 12:13 PM)Ghost Wrote:  
Quote:I have no idea whether Mitt Romney is a racist. However, I do know that
Mormon theology is fundamentally racist, and Romney grew up during a
peak time in Mormon racism when the LDS church opposed the civil rights
movement.
The only problem with this statement (and I am NOT a Romney supporter) is that Mitt's father George was a strong supporter of the civil rights movement. Guilt by association is always BS.

And for the record, the civil rights movement didn't remove ANY of the underlying racism ANYWHERE in the States, not just within the Mormon church.

Also, missionary work is a big thing in the Mormon church, so it isn't shocking that a dude like Romney did it.

I hope Romney gets trounced in the election, but come on guys. Can we actually have some evidence that this guy is a racist before we light up our torches and hit the streets? Have we learned nothing from Fox News or have we all just degenerated to their level?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
You make a good point. I was not trying to imply guilt-by-association. However, being raised a Mormon, I was indoctrinated with a great number of prejudices, which, thankfully, I was able to recognize and address. George Romney was not a racist, and one would hope that his influence helped to counteract the racist rhetoric coming from Mormon leaders.

In fact, there was some tension between George Romney and certain Mormon leaders. See this letter from a prominent Mormon leader to George Romney:

http://www.boston.com/news/daily/24/delbert_stapley.pdf

The writer of the letter actually implies that God caused a friend of his to drown because he supported the civil rights movement!

www.Theofrak.com - because traditional religion is so frakked up

[Image: evol2.png]
20-07-2012, 12:32 PM
(20-07-2012 09:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  Either Romney believes this wacko crap or he's a hypocrite/heretic/apostate/liar.

So, will you vote for him for President of the U.S.A.?
No way in hell.

20-07-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm working on a separate post in which I provide evidence that Mitt Romney is a "true believing" Mormon. I know several people who know Mitt from his days at Harvard. He was a true believer then, and there is little reason to suppose that he is not one now.

20-07-2012, 12:38 PM
(20-07-2012 11:29 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Its just a different brand of fairy tale, similar to Catholicism or Islam. If he can put the mormonism out of sight and rule effectively I'll consider him. If it is portrayed as his raison d'etre, then he won't even progress to the consideration stage.
I like to compare Mormonism to Scientology. If a person favors science fiction, they will likely go with Scientology. If they prefer fantasy (magic rocks, angels that turn into lizards), they will go with Mormonism.

20-07-2012, 01:57 PM
(20-07-2012 11:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  
Well, no. It's sillier than RC. It's even sillier than Islam.
The problem is that if he can believe that weird stuff, compartmentalized or not, he can believe any weird stuff. Consider
Sillier than magical rides on winged horses?
Sillier than toads falling from the sky and talking snakes?

They all are fucking goofy. If a RC tells me they believe in the creation myth, that is no more or less silly than some god spreading their seed to populate souls on different planets. Hell at least the Morman's appear to acknowledge the possibility of life elsewhere.
20-07-2012, 03:03 PM
(20-07-2012 01:57 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  
(20-07-2012 11:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, no. It's sillier than RC. It's even sillier than Islam.
Sillier than magical rides on winged horses?

They all are fucking goofy. If a RC tells me they believe in the creation myth, that is no more or less silly than some god spreading their seed to populate souls on different planets. Hell at least the Morman's appear to acknowledge the possibility of life elsewhere.
[Image: tumblr_m7f64o1ylf1rt8sgdo1_400.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Theofrak's post
20-07-2012, 04:28 PM
(20-07-2012 03:03 PM)Theofrak Wrote:  
(20-07-2012 01:57 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Sillier than magical rides on winged horses?

[Image: tumblr_m7f64o1ylf1rt8sgdo1_400.jpg]
They are all ridiculous, but some really are sillier than others. The Mormons believe the native people of North America are descendants of a Semite tribe that came to the New World. This is demonstrably false by DNA analysis.
Their God bears is a physical being living on another world. And so on.

I would still like to create a Religion Silliness Scale, but it might have to be multidimensional. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user