Romney recruiting Kasich, Sasse for third-party option

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2016, 08:48 AM
RE: Romney recruiting Kasich, Sasse for third-party option
If it came to that and the Democrats take the House, they will likely vote for Clinton. If the Republicans took the house .... I have no idea.

Right now, I consider "I have no idea" the best option so I'm hoping for that.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
16-05-2016, 08:26 AM
(14-05-2016 05:15 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Best case scenario: He siphons enough votes from the GOP nominee to guarantee that Hillary Clinton, the most corrupt politician in US history, becomes president.

The idea here is if the GOP fears that either
  • Trump can't win, or
  • Trump would be more of a problem in the White House than Clinton
It's in their best interest to look for the best way to help the party if they are willing to consider the White House a lost cause. Running another candidate is the best way to ensure the conservatives get out the vote, as they'll have to work extra hard to beat two candidates. Sure, a conservative White House victory would be mathematically impossible in this scenario, but that's a lot of extra voters who are all pulling the red lever on down-ballot votes. It could help them in many close congressional elections.

(14-05-2016 05:15 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Worse case scenario: Bernie decides to run third party as well, splitting up the vote so much that nobody can win 270 electoral votes. Congress picks a corrupt establishment politician and crowns him (or her) president.

God, I hope this doesn't happen. I don't think he's projected to do this, but it would suck if he got enough of an ego from his surprisingly good run and drank his own Kool Aid in the last two months. As much as I'm glad I supported him in the winter and early spring, I'm getting kind of sick of the emails...
16-05-2016, 09:23 AM
(15-05-2016 06:56 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It it too late to bring back Spiro Agnew?????

heh

If he wasn't like a hundred and eleventeen I'd want Carter to come back for his second term. With Bernie as running mate.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
17-05-2016, 03:47 PM
We didn't see this coming a mile away in the dark with our eyes closed.

(14-05-2016 05:15 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Worse case scenario: Bernie decides to run third party as well, splitting up the vote so much that nobody can win 270 electoral votes. Congress picks a corrupt establishment politician and crowns him (or her) president.

Worst case scenario: Romney and friends manage to split the moderate vote against Hilary ushering Trump into power.

(15-05-2016 06:18 AM)Vosur Wrote:  If the House of Representatives fails to elect a President by Inauguration Day, the Vice-President Elect serves as acting President until the deadlock is resolved in the House.

And if there is no Vice-President Elect?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
17-05-2016, 09:02 PM
You guys could really, really do with more parties...

[Image: eXfSfCo.jpg]

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
18-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Well that didn't last long.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/18/politics/m...index.html

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
19-05-2016, 08:22 PM
(14-05-2016 05:15 PM)Vosur Wrote:  http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/pres...hird-party

Best case scenario: He siphons enough votes from the GOP nominee to guarantee that Hillary Clinton, the most corrupt politician in US history, becomes president.

If you think that she's the most corrupt politician in US history, you clearly haven't done your research on state elected officials in Illinois or Louisiana, or any politician of any level during the Gilded Age (post-civil war-1900)

Quote:Worse case scenario: Bernie decides to run third party as well, splitting up the vote so much that nobody can win 270 electoral votes. Congress picks a corrupt establishment politician and crowns him (or her) president.

He may have drunk his own Kool-aid but even he isn't reckless enough to run third-party and risk censure from the party he's caucused with for the past several decades. If he was stupid enough to throw the election to the Republicans in the House, he would be flayed alive by the Democrats and any of his ideas for a "political revolution" would be shelved by the Democrats for the next two decades. Political parties, at least when they are functioning as a unified platform (which is something the Republicans currently lack), are very unforgiving to those allied within their ranks who undermine the party out of spite.

[Image: giphy.gif]
19-05-2016, 08:40 PM
(19-05-2016 08:22 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  If you think that she's the most corrupt politician in US history, you clearly haven't done your research on state elected officials in Illinois or Louisiana, or any politician of any level during the Gilded Age (post-civil war-1900)

hyperbole
noun
Exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally

Tongue

In all seriousness, I don't really mind changing it to "one of the most corrupt politicians" since there is no objective way to measure corruption in terms of a numerical value that could be used for comparisons.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
19-05-2016, 09:21 PM
(19-05-2016 08:40 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 08:22 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  If you think that she's the most corrupt politician in US history, you clearly haven't done your research on state elected officials in Illinois or Louisiana, or any politician of any level during the Gilded Age (post-civil war-1900)

hyperbole
noun

Tongue

In all seriousness, I don't really mind changing it to "one of the most corrupt politicians" since there is no objective way to measure corruption in terms of a numerical value that could be used for comparisons.

I don't know man, you listen to these Bernistas and they really do give you the impression that they truly believe she is Satan incarnate. Hyperbole isn't something I think they understand the concept of, they paint everything in such absolutist maxims, there usually isn't any room left for exaggeration. Usually when people talk smack about Clinton, they mean it at face value.

She is pretty awful though, just the least awful of the candidates left, IMO.

[Image: giphy.gif]
21-05-2016, 07:40 PM
(19-05-2016 08:40 PM)Vosur Wrote:  

hyperbole
noun

Tongue

That changes nothing. No evidence at all or comparative method has yet been provided.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.