Romney's Religion: The Mormon Corporate Empire

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2016, 11:28 PM
RE: Romney's Religion: The Mormon Corporate Empire
(23-07-2012 08:24 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  How does this compare to the RC church or the evangelicals? I am curious, not to judge degrees of "badness" but rather to get a full picture of the wealth and greed of the other major religious institutions.

Who knows, greed is greed. If one turns out less greedy than another, then another one still will replace it in the greed championship.

The truth hurts but sets you free. Build muscle with mi40.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2016, 11:41 PM
[Image: necroposting-jpg.97765]
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
13-07-2017, 08:12 AM
Religion is the mother of all madness and hypocrisy. There are so many charitable causes out there..you just need to walk around and you'll find someone who needs help. We really need not go through churches to give charity, it literally starts at home. And shut up about your givings already.
13-07-2017, 08:16 AM
The church is a greed station.
13-07-2017, 04:21 PM
(23-07-2012 08:24 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  How does this compare to the RC church or the evangelicals? I am curious, not to judge degrees of "badness" but rather to get a full picture of the wealth and greed of the other major religious institutions.
One of my personal objections to tax exemptions for churches is that most of their activities are not helping meet the needs of the needy, and therefore is not charitable. Speaking from my experience in my past life as an evangelical, most of their activities are those of a private association or club. Worship services, indoctrination of members via sermons and lessons and other group activities, constitute most of what a small to medium sized evangelical church does. As the church grows it has an expanding "campus" to maintain, parking lots to (re)pave, sound systems to buy, traffic to direct, and on and on. Sometimes you see a pastor driving a Corvette and his wife blinged out, which raises the issue of extravagant salaries and benefits. I've witnessed churches promoting pyramid and real estate investment schemes and pushing members to "give until it hurts" to things like the church building fund or retiring the church mortgage. Again these are not typical but not rare either.

This is not to say that churches never do anything to benefit the community or the indigent or whatever, or that those particular aspects of their "ministry" should not be tax-exempt. Some churches are more charitable operations than others. In my view, only the actual charity should be tax-exempt.

Also, the rules against churches promoting political candidates should be strictly enforced.