Ron Paul WINS LOUISIANA CAUCUS!!!!!!!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2012, 12:58 AM
RE: Ron Paul WINS LOUISIANA CAUCUS!!!!!!!!!
(30-04-2012 10:25 AM)reverendjeremiah Wrote:  
(30-04-2012 10:00 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Then it's a good thing there is a small group fighting and working tirelessly for a better future. Even if the masses don't realize it or care.
"a better future" for you maybe...If Ron Paul got into power it would devastate me and my family....and many millions of other families as well. If he does everything he says he will there will be MASSIVE unemployment.

What would Ron Paul do that would be so terrible?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2012, 07:56 AM
(01-05-2012 12:58 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(30-04-2012 10:25 AM)reverendjeremiah Wrote:  "a better future" for you maybe...If Ron Paul got into power it would devastate me and my family....and many millions of other families as well. If he does everything he says he will there will be MASSIVE unemployment.
What would Ron Paul do that would be so terrible?
He's concerned that Paul's positon on union contract work by the government could affect his job. I think his concerns are legitimate but not sure things would play out the way he sees them.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
01-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Quote:
What I don't like is that in a lot of cases there isn't even a choice.

Thats what happens in capitalism. Especially if Ron Paul removes the anti-monopoly laws like he has hinted at. There is no "invisible hand" in capitalism. There are always people pulling strings for a quick profit. Its an inherent flaw in the system, especially if a democracy is connected to it.
Quote:I can't cite specific examples but perhaps you could verify.

The union has educated me well on labor education. I have no problem trying to help, but im not perfect either. We all make mistakes sometimes Smile
Quote:If a government building like the DMV for example needs a new row of fully enclosed cubicles, who does that work?

DMV's are state owned departments. Davis Bacon act does not apply to them unless they receive a federal grant. Even then only the amount of the federal grant is under that law. So, in that situation you may find a union work force doing one part of the job, and a non-union force doing another. I have seen it before. In your situation it completely depends on the state laws and "right to work laws" as they so deceptively name them. Chances are a cheap construction outfit that is non-union will be installing those cubicles.
Quote:Who decides who gets hired and how much they will pay?

The DMV state rep (whatever title the state gives them) will be overseeing the project. As I said before, DMV is a state level govt agency. Politics will usually be played in these situations. New Yorkers would have union workers. Texas DMV will likely have illegals doing it. The only time Davis Bacon comes into play is with the FEDERAL govt and every single cent they spend on grants and projects. Even then, you can hire non-union, but you must level the playing field with prevailing wages as per law.
Quote:
I have to assume that the person planning this project, having a large enough budget to not worry about price, calls up the first union contractor on the list and says "Let's get started". There is no incentive to save money and not really a cheaper option even if they did care about the money. It's like being forced to get your Malibu oil changed at the Mercedes dealer. Am I off base?

Yes, you are off base. The Beauracracy would never be that easy, even if ron Paul and you got all of your dreams fulfilled. In all my years of experience contracting for the govt I have learned one BIG thing: Never assume anything. It is the govt, and politics are almost ALWAYS played. Davis Bacon is one of those acts designed to keep the govt neutral to union/non-union bias. By levelling the playing field on price it lessens the chances of a govt agency prefering one over the other. Without Davis bacon an agency can just as easily be penny pinchers as well as hire only union workers for a rate higher than their scale. In other words, without davis bacon, a pro union agenda could be set to hire only union labor and to pay them much more than their scale is just for votes, or vice-versa...all for political advantage.
Quote:Or should governments have not only the option, but be required to seek out inexpensive labor for small, non-precision projects?
And who sets the standards for "inexpensive". Davis Bacon is a standard setting system. If you got what you wanted politics would run rampant. Could you imagine a govt that seeks out the absolute lowest cost it could find and work with a mentality of "if we can get it that low, then we expect the next prices to be lower." Please google "prevailing wages". do you want the govt to be operated like a sweatshop? A govt is only as good as it treats its people. Govts who want everything for nothing are tyranical, like China is with their govt sponsered sweatshops that they loan out to the highest bidder. Once prevailing wage drops to a certain point youwill see things like "bread wars" and you will also see communism come back into popularity in a big way like it was at the beginning of the 20th century. If the govt screws you, treats you like a slave and starves you, then people WILL come together and unite under a banner of communism as well as fascism and syndicalism. Google "Spanish civil war" to find out what citizens do when they have a govt system that expects everything and gives nothing.

Quote:I realize there are a lot of union workers depending on that job but there are also a lot of taxpayers that would rather not pay $30/hour for a few sheets of drywall and a few electrical outlets to be built. Am I overestimating the wages or incorrect about whether non union workers can be hired?

If you understood what prevailing wages meant you would not have typed that. In South Carolina the prevailing wage is around $15 for skilled labor. In some place in New York the prevailing wage is $50 for skilled labor. Also look up "living wage" and "wage slavery". It is best that before you start commenting on Labor in America that you familiarize yourself with its history.

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Fair enough. I'll look into it.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain