Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2012, 10:50 AM
RE: Here's the video ...
(07-01-2012 08:35 AM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  
(06-01-2012 09:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-01-2012 09:13 PM)germanyt Wrote:  [youtube]GWEVsxwIb5k[/youtube]
The embed isn't working for me.

Sad but he would be the first guy to put my father on a ship and say see you later. He's all about liberty as long as it fits his idea of what that is. My father fought in WW2 and seen every island through the barrel of his gun. But he's Hispanic and That bigot would love to see him and all of us go. 2nd He would put my mother out on the street and cut her SSI ASAP. 3rd he would take away her health coverage that is medicare. Ron Paul is a asshole. He's wonderful if you have allot of cash, but if you are poor or elderly watch out. 4th he is a libertarian till it comes to women's rights! then he wants to come into your bedroom and tell you what to do if you get knocked up. He's a contraindication in terms. Half of what he said is great but the other half is so dangerous you cant vote for him.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-5...to-blacks/

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2012, 08:40 AM
RE: Ron Paul slams SOPA, Patriot Act, and NDAA
Nobody's perfect...well except for me. That's it! You should all elect me to office. I promise to keep the taxes down, religion where it belongs and the body count as low as I can possibly make. Somewhere between 5 and 43,000 a day.
Honestly people just make up your minds already.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
12-01-2012, 08:57 AM
(12-01-2012 08:40 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  Nobody's perfect...well except for me. That's it! You should all elect me to office. I promise to keep the taxes down, religion where it belongs and the body count as low as I can possibly make. Somewhere between 5 and 43,000 a day.
Honestly people just make up your minds already.

It's amazing to me how anyone with even half a brain could vote for anyone but Ron Paul. He's the only one focusing on issues, only one with a real plan of action, the only one not lying to us, and the only true fiscal conservative in all of Washington.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
12-01-2012, 11:18 AM
(12-01-2012 08:57 AM)germanyt Wrote:  It's amazing to me how anyone with even half a brain could vote for anyone but Ron Paul. He's the only one focusing on issues, only one with a real plan of action, the only one not lying to us, and the only true fiscal conservative in all of Washington.

Because his political philosophy and economics are crap?

I also take issue with the suggestion that he's the only "fiscal conservative" in Washington. He's definitely one sort of fiscal conservative, but he's an old-right paleolibertarian follower of Austrian economics. I don't like the idea of conflating these two. Neoliberalism, for example, is also a right-of-center set of economic views, but its conceptual foundations and specific policy prescriptions are in many cases diametrically opposed to the junk forwarded by Paul and company.

Now, on Paul in general, I am very disappointed by the way many young "progressives" are naively embracing this guy. It strikes me as a massive case of "throwing the baby out with the bathwater." He definitely "has it right" on a few issues that few politicians with such a national profile do, e.g. opposition to the war on drugs, opposition to the war in Iraq (though it's now over), but even on the issues where he's right, he's right for the wrong reasons. Are we really prepared to support a natural-rights, paleolibertarian, conservative Christian believer in wacky heterodox economics just because he's "right" on a couple issues that are important to (probably white, male, heterosexual, moderately affluent) college students who just discovered politics? I for one am not.
12-01-2012, 11:39 AM
(12-01-2012 11:18 AM)Valdyr Wrote:  
(12-01-2012 08:57 AM)germanyt Wrote:  It's amazing to me how anyone with even half a brain could vote for anyone but Ron Paul. He's the only one focusing on issues, only one with a real plan of action, the only one not lying to us, and the only true fiscal conservative in all of Washington.

Because his political philosophy and economics are crap?

I also take issue with the suggestion that he's the only "fiscal conservative" in Washington. He's definitely one sort of fiscal conservative, but he's an old-right paleolibertarian follower of Austrian economics. I don't like the idea of conflating these two. Neoliberalism, for example, is also a right-of-center set of economic views, but its conceptual foundations and specific policy prescriptions are in many cases diametrically opposed to the junk forwarded by Paul and company.

Now, on Paul in general, I am very disappointed by the way many young "progressives" are naively embracing this guy. It strikes me as a massive case of "throwing the baby out with the bathwater." He definitely "has it right" on a few issues that few politicians with such a national profile do, e.g. opposition to the war on drugs, opposition to the war in Iraq (though it's now over), but even on the issues where he's right, he's right for the wrong reasons. Are we really prepared to support a natural-rights, paleolibertarian, conservative Christian believer in wacky heterodox economics just because he's "right" on a couple issues that are important to (probably white, male, heterosexual, moderately affluent) college students who just discovered politics? I for one am not.

The ONLY issues I disagree with him on are social conservative ones. Ones that he can't up and change anyway. But vote for union/Wall St. controlled corporatist nutjob if you want. I'm sure things will get better.

-Mark Twain
12-01-2012, 12:57 PM
(12-01-2012 11:39 AM)germanyt Wrote:  But vote for union/Wall St. controlled corporatist nutjob if you want. I'm sure things will get better.

Well most of the issue is that we disagree about what is better.

Why is a philosophy of natural rights minarchism superior to a substantial egalitarianism? This is a real issue of political philosophy.
14-01-2012, 01:42 PM
(07-01-2012 06:41 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  I agree he has some good ideas, but once you pull out the ole' magnifying glass and read the fine print you see a completely different picture. That's the problem with our general public. They refuse to read the fine print.

I actually fell for his videos for a bit and then I started digging deeper. He's just as bad as the rest of the fundies. It's a shame really.

Agreed! I think i got through that letter and then a few of the responses and i knew i was going to come out of this thinking the same thing i do every time Ron Paul opens his mouth: there is a disconnect between what he thinks and what he says and even then it's not completely thought through, he has to backtrack on some ideological footing whether religious or partisan. i'm so glad he won't become president...talk about a country moving out of one republican idiot into another...

Though i agree with some of his more general social points (marijuana regulation/taxation) he is hard to back.
17-01-2012, 04:11 PM
RE: Here's the video ...
[+] 2 users Like weekendskp's post