Ron Wyatt's "Discoveries"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Ron Wyatt's "Discoveries"
Yo guys!

So as a lot of you guys know I've been in and out of debates with my family since I came out as an atheist. One of the argument sets that keeps coming up is the topic of Ron Wyatt's fraudulent discoveries. I've done a bit of research and I found bits and pieces of evidence that they were hoaxes, but nothing convincing to my family.

This being said, I was wondering if any of you had already looked into this and could link me to a site or something with more information on these "discoveries". Of course I'll keep my search going and post anything here myself if I find something worthwhile.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2010, 08:14 AM
RE: Ron Wyatt's "Discoveries"
http://ldolphin.org/wyatt.html

It really says something about him that Answers In Genesis, widely regarded as the biggest bullshit repository on the net, rejected his claims. Not only that, his own church said he was wrong.

You can also check this out:

http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.co...cy-dr.html

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
24-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Cool, thanks a ton! They use Answers in Genesis a lot, so that should really be effective!

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
28-08-2010, 12:19 AM

In the past there have always been false prophets witnessing the end of time, specialty around the turn of centuries.The amazing thing about it is there's not one finger print on it, proving jesus was a divine being, therefore if Jesus had no finger prints this is infallible evidence of the grails authenticity.
Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Now I'm offended that dolphin is in that link name... Still! Got to love the anti-theist evidence Big Grin

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
29-08-2010, 04:07 AM
Believe it or not, it didn't work. =P I guess it's to be expected, though. Thanks for your help anyway!

29-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Did you think it would?

If your approach with your family is going to be one of "get them to accept me by proving their beliefs are wrong", you may as well cut all ties now and save yourself the grief.

What you have done is basically rejected not only everything they believe but everything they feel they raised you to believe. I would guess that in their minds the issue is not so much that you've rejected your faith as much as you've rejected them. The details are probably irrelevant. Trying to justify your position by proving them wrong is not likely to get you anywhere with your family because, most likely, they are simply not listening to your arguments. It's probably not even that they are rejecting them as much as they are just not hearing them. They are in shock at your revelations and are trying to figure out where they went wrong. I obviously don't know your parents but I'm a parent myself so I can sort of relate.

Again, trying to approach them on a logical basis is never going to get you anywhere with them. If you want to have a relationship with your family, you're best bet is to make an emotional appeal along the lines of you still love them, still respect them, and are still the same person, and then give them a chance to acclimate. Throwing your new found openness on your religious beliefs (and lack there of) and sexuality into their face and giving them logical reasons as to why they should accept this will have the same chance of success as spraying them with pepper spray until they accept your point of view.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
30-08-2010, 12:34 PM
You're probably right. The only thing, though, is that they make it more than known that they follow on logic and reasoning rather than on their own emotionality, and will undoubtedly reject that even moreso than my logic. Still, they HAVE been rejecting my logic and reasoning like you say, and I guess I really shouldn't expect so much.

Still, I'm an optimist by nature. =P I appreciate your dose of reality--getting it firmly in mind that there's not much of a reason to fight with all I've got releases a bit of stress from struggling and failing for so long.

Still, though:

Quote:Throwing your new found openness on your religious beliefs (and lack there of) and sexuality into their face and giving them logical reasons as to why they should accept this will have the same chance of success as spraying them with pepper spray until they accept your point of view.

I'm still new at this, so maybe I'm wrong, but I've not once posted anything about my unbelief outside of my facebook wall, and even on my facebook wall the most anti-theistic material I've posted was a link to the site above with the caption "Don't be deceived! Even Answers in Genesis thinks this guy is a fraud! I don't mean to start an argument, but I think it's important that deception is cast aside for the truth. I love you guys!" I don't really see how it's being too open to discredit a fraud "archaeologist" that even other creationists believe is a fraud.

But, like I said, maybe I'm just not getting it. I still try my best to keep in contact with them (many of them have blocked me from Skype, so our old way of communication is down) and I tell them I love them regularly and post funny pictures and sayings on my wall and their walls and stuff and keep a community going, so I wouldn't see why they would think I rejected them...

I dunno.

Thanks for your advice.

30-08-2010, 06:11 PM
I may not have understood the nature of the debate with your family. I assumed that it was not limited to facebook postings between you and that you have actually been speaking or at lest corresponding with your family beyond a few lines on facebook.

Keep in mind that there are a few great writers in the world and the rest of us just do the best we can and hope people can follow along. The down side of this is that, for most of us, the written word leaves itself open to a lot of ambiguity and interpretation of meaning and intent. In my professional life I've seen unbelievable amounts of damage done to business deals due to poorly worded emails. I guess my point is that communicating with Facebook could be like trying to fight a fire with gasoline. You know your situation far better than I do, obviously, but I just offer that as an observation based on experience.

Finally, I'm honestly not trying to tell you what to do and I hope you didn't take any offense to what I wrote or feel like I'm trying to "push" you in any way. While I think I write well from a purely technical perspective, I'm truly part of the unwashed masses of Hemingway wannabe's who lacks the ability to always clearly communicate intent.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
31-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Quote:I may not have understood the nature of the debate with your family. I assumed that it was not limited to facebook postings between you and that you have actually been speaking or at lest corresponding with your family beyond a few lines on facebook.

Unfortunately not. While I'm glad the debate itself hasn't extended past that (I'm even worse at verbally debating than I am at debating through written dialogue) due to the Skype blocks, I haven't been able to speak with my family at all outside of Facebook. I have confidence the blocks won't persist for much longer, but anyway.

Quote:I guess my point is that communicating with Facebook could be like trying to fight a fire with gasoline. You know your situation far better than I do, obviously, but I just offer that as an observation based on experience.

Sincerely, thanks for your advice. I had a few opportunities recently to be offended and to post things on my wall that might have triggered offense, but I ignored the opportunities and now I'm witnessing a visible change in the mood of my family's posts for the better. I'll keep being positive with them and hope things continue on their route to reunification. It definitely seems you were right. =P

Quote:I hope you didn't take any offense to what I wrote or feel like I'm trying to "push" you in any way.

Oh, not at all! I'm glad you gave me your opinion! Without seeing things from different perspectives there would be no progress, and especially with your perspective as a parent and your experience your advice is valuable. Thanks again!