Root Causes: San Bernardino, California shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2015, 03:36 PM
RE: Root Causes: San Bernardino, California shooting
(04-12-2015 02:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-12-2015 02:37 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  This brings to mind Mark Twain's quip about "lies, damned lies, and statistics." Which American cities? In your reply to me, you compared London with New York. New York does not have the highest rates of crime, violent crime, or murder in the U.S. The last time I checked, it wasn't even in the top 20. Neither was Chicago. A more meaningful statistic would be the murder/violent crime rates for the entire country of England vs. the entire U.S. I don't know what those numbers are, but that statistic would be more meaningful than comparing one cherry-picked British city to one cherry-picked U.S. city.

NOTE: Guns are much more efficient for killing people than knives or baseball bats. Bombs are even more efficient, but they are harder to obtain -- in the U.S. at least.

Home-made bombs are easy-peasy, the components are readily available.

I could go out to my garage and assemble a deadly bomb in minutes. Drinking Beverage

Yea and? So why are we not profiling white people? McVeigh wasn't a Muslim. Eric Rudolph wasn't a Muslim. The Unibomber wasn't a Muslim. Eric Harris and Dillon Klebold brought a homemade bomb to Columbine.

"Other bad shit happens" so "do nothing about gun deaths"......Nope, not an excuse.

Guns are much easier to use and we make way too many and they are too easy to access both legally and illegally.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2015, 03:41 PM
(04-12-2015 03:36 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(04-12-2015 02:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  Home-made bombs are easy-peasy, the components are readily available.

I could go out to my garage and assemble a deadly bomb in minutes. Drinking Beverage

Yea and? So why are we not profiling white people? McVeigh wasn't a Muslim. Eric Rudolph wasn't a Muslim. The Unibomber wasn't a Muslim. Eric Harris and Dillon Klebold brought a homemade bomb to Columbine.

"Other bad shit happens" so "do nothing about gun deaths"......Nope, not an excuse.

Guns are much easier to use and we make way too many and they are too easy to access both legally and illegally.

And your solution is what???

Give the whole planet a lobotomy, so they're too stupid to build their own??

Building guns ain't rocket science....

What are you going to do --- register machinists like sex offenders, because they MIGHT build a gun?????

You want to pass a law to make "Everyone nice"....

Guess what? Reality on this planet isn't like that.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
04-12-2015, 03:44 PM
(04-12-2015 03:36 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(04-12-2015 02:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  Home-made bombs are easy-peasy, the components are readily available.

You keep repeating that refrain.
Isn't about time for you to offer some sort of constructive solution? Or at least steps in that direction?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2015, 03:48 PM
My question is why is it only a gun problem when it happens in the U.S.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-12-2015, 03:54 PM
(04-12-2015 03:48 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  My question is why is it only a gun problem when it happens in the U.S.

Because the other countries have already passed draconian gun laws, and they fail to work.....

MAYBE if we get them passed in the US it will FINALLY work............

[/sarcasm]

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
04-12-2015, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2015 03:58 PM by Mr. Boston.)
I think it's a culture issue. If we want to reduce the impact of guns in our society we've got to make them less "cool" and less attractive in the culture. This already worked with smoking. In the late 90s, seemingly out of nowhere, people just stopped smoking in movies. Remember that? Even teen movies like American Pie wherein kids got up to all kinds of shenanigans, dicks in pies, flutes in pussies, cum in the pale ale, but no cigarettes. I truly believe when you're dealing with the HARDCORE gun enthusiast, you're dealing with somebody who's got the maturity level of about a 13-year-old. So deal with it accordingly, stop putting guns in movies and TV shows, or even better make the characters who have guns in movies appear awkward and unable to get laid and people won't want them as badly. There's a great quote from John Waters, something like, "We have to make books cool again, if you go home with someone and they don't have books, don't fuck them." Let's do the same with guns only in reverse - if they have guns, no action. Attitudes about guns will shift pretty quickly if they become a hindrance to social well-being. We already have the supply, so we're stuck with that. Let's reduce the demand.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
04-12-2015, 03:56 PM
(04-12-2015 03:54 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I think it's a culture issue. If we want to reduce the impact of guns in our society we've got to make them less "cool" and less attractive in the culture. This already worked with smoking. In the late 90s, seemingly out of nowhere, people just stopped smoking in movies. Remember that? Even teen movies like American Pie wherein kids got up to all kinds of shenanigans, dicks in pies, flutes in pussies, cum in the pale ale, but no cigarettes. I truly believe when you're dealing with the HARDCORE gun enthusiast, you're dealing with somebody who's got the maturity level of about a 13-year-old. So deal with it accordingly, stop putting guns in movies and TV shows, or even better make the characters who have guns in movies appear awkward and unable to get laid and people won't want them as badly. There's a great quote from John Waters, something like, "We have to make books cool again, if you go home with someone and they don't have books, don't fuck them." Let's do the same with guns only in reverse - if they have guns, no action. Attitudes about guns will shift pretty quickly if they become a hindrance to social well-being.

Saving Private Ryan would have been such a different movie.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-12-2015, 04:01 PM
The average kid sees 8000 murders on TV by elementary school age, and 200,000 violent acts by age 18..

https://www.csun.edu/science/health/docs/tv&health.html

And if you suggested to anyone that we might want to do something about limiting access to violence on TV -- you'd hear a howl about FIRST amendment rights that'd nearly knock the planet off it's axis.....

04-12-2015, 04:08 PM
(04-12-2015 04:01 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The average kid sees 8000 murders on TV by elementary school age, and 200,000 violent acts by age 18..

https://www.csun.edu/science/health/docs/tv&health.html

And if you suggested to anyone that we might want to do something about limiting access to violence on TV -- you'd hear a howl about FIRST amendment rights that'd nearly knock the planet off it's axis.....

Sure, but I don't think Mr. Boston was talking about forcing anyone to do anything. His examples were about people voluntarily choosing not to glorify certain activities anymore. That doesn't violate the first amendment at all.
04-12-2015, 04:10 PM
(04-12-2015 03:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-12-2015 03:11 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Please elaborate.

See post #90.

Inanimate guns in his house are not comparable in danger to those.

A valid comparison would be loaded, unsecured firearms outside his home.

And I counter that gasoline cans, pyrotechnics and holes in the ground are just as inanimate.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce