Root Causes: San Bernardino, California shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2015, 05:55 PM
RE: Root Causes: San Bernardino, California shooting
(04-12-2015 05:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-12-2015 05:08 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  And herein lies the crux of the matter. What is and isn’t reasonable.

1200 guns = reasonable. Dodgy

I’m going to assume you don’t think any of the other suggestion on Brian37’s list were “reasonable”.

Drinking Beverage

I have, as anyone who has followed these debates here knows, advocated better controls. Brian's list has many of those ideas, but some that are pointless or not practicable.

Any proposed laws must address an actual problem. Just restricting access 'just because' is not reasonable.

So, when people call for this or that law, I ask "what problem are you trying to solve?" and "how does that address it?"

N.B. There is no "gun show loophole".

I know you have. And for the record I own a handgun and I am not advocating banning all guns.

Having said this my contention is that the status quo in regards to gun ownership in the US is untenable. Doing nothing is not a productive answer. When the senate cannot even pass the “Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act of 2015” it shows that we as a people have lost our ability to pass common sense and reasonable restrictions regarding guns.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2015, 06:12 PM
(04-12-2015 05:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  So, it was an ISIS-inspired terror attack.

Someone called it early. Consider

(02-12-2015 04:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  14 dead, 14 wounded.

My money is on ISIS/Islamists as this appears to be pure terror.
This was a soft target and it was a hit and run.

(02-12-2015 04:47 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  No doubt ISIS sympathizers, if not actual members. It appears this Farooq Saeed guy worked there and knew when the big wigs were having their Christmas party.

We were the first.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
04-12-2015, 06:31 PM
new today..bear with me. It seems to me as an atheist that the belief in Heaven is a big part of the motivation to the terrorists (and us). Would a lot of this nonsense just stop if people realized that this is your one life? Did the San Berdu killers think that leaving the baby with the grandmother was just a minor matter as they would see her/him in heaven?..Both Christians and Muslims have an apocalyptic view and it is dangerousDodgy
[+] 1 user Likes cathell's post
04-12-2015, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2015 07:11 AM by onlinebiker.)
Answering Brian

I have, you just are too selfish to consider doing something different. Now, here it is again for the ADD aflicted.

1. Guns are not humans, guns are objects, stop treating an object as if it is living.

I wish you would. You seem to think that people exposed to guns are somehow more prone to committing violence

2. We need to stop making so many. Limit the amount made per year.

Really? HOW??? It's a BUSINESS. Can you POSSIBLY come up with an idea that would make a governmental juggernaut that will be more riddled with crime and corruption? (Think alcohol prohibition)

3. Nobody needs a spray weapon or big clip.

Nobody needs a Humvee. Nobody needs three Big Macs for lunch. Nobody needs cigars, cigarettes, alcohol or video games. Shall we have a governmental division of "Needed items"???

4. None of the above or even the rest of this list is saying "ban all guns"

Of course not - you don't want the shitstorm that will hit, when you DO come clean about it.

5. Keep them out of the wrong hands, I think anyone would agree with that.

Sure, and when your crystal ball starts working 100 percent, get back with us and tell us who's going to be a problem

6. That means having no criminal record when you buy it isn't enough, the SB shooters had no record, the Va Tech shooter had no record.

Why not just lock everyone up in prison? They MIGHT do something illegal. If we're going to assume the "guilty until proven innocent" line you're advocating -- that's your only option.

7.Not just universal background checks, but mandatory psych evaluation.

Same as the last bit, but more expensive - right??

8. Mandatory stress training, not just target hitting.

AND more cost. If we keep this up - all them poor people will be disarmed - and only the "beautiful people" (read RICH) will have guns.

9. Periodic review for both mental and stress capability.

[and more cost

7. Liability insurance for injury or death

AND MORE

10. Ban on online sales.

SHOW me where you buy guns online..... PLEASE SHOW ME..... ALL guns have to be shipped to an FFL. That's FEDERAL FIREARM LICENSE holder. And then you get to fill out a 4473 form and do a NICS check.[/size] (You can get what's called a C and R --- Curios and Relics..... Which allows you to buy guns and have them sent directly to your house --- it ALSO opens your house to random searches by the BATF...The BATF has no sense of humor, and are sticklers about your paperwork and how your guns are stored..

11. Close gunshow loophole

There isn't one. What your tutors have told you isn't really quite true. What they call "the loophole" is what in normal language is known as A PRIVATE SALE. It just happens at a gun show. All guns sold by FFL dealers still have to be sold as if they were in a regular shop -- subject to all laws, including NICS checks. AND --- in states that require permits to purchase a handgun -- this STILL applies to private sales.

12. Traceable ammo, limit on ammo.

Yeah - right.... I guess you forgot the 1968 gun laws.... THOSE were supposed to do what you're claiming ----- and all handgun ammo had to be signed for by adults, and they had to show identification. This requirement was dropped several years ago -- because according to the FBI's report (and recommendation to drop the requirement) Not ONE case was ever solved due to this law. Not one.

13. Move to manufacturing smart guns

We'll go for that just as soon as it becomes so reliable that every police and government agency - including the military -- adopts them. And the cost??? Of course -- it'll be on the gun buyer.... (them poor people sure are going to be easy to rob from now on, huh??)

14. Mandatory 7 day waiting period and limit on total number of guns in a household.

And what is "reasonable"??? Guarantee - it's going to less, each time some terrorist blows something up..... (Booom) Yup time to take away more guns..

15. Re read 4 until you stop being paranoid. None of that says "ban all guns".

OF COURSE NOT ---- just make it so inconvenient, and costly that only the very rich can afford to have and use guns.... JUST LIKE ENGLAND!!!!!

And related to all that, investment in mental health care, and health care in general. Livable wages. Cheaper or free higher education. End corporate welfare.

{insert the lyrics to Joe Walsh's "Vote for Me"}

Well there are an awful lot of issues important to me.
Here’s my campaign policy,
Legislation, education,
occupation, arbitration,
conversation, equalization,
immigration, itemization,
immigration, race relations,
imitation, hospitalization...
I’m freaking out vote for me!

It sounds just like that last paragraph....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-12-2015, 02:17 PM
[Image: 12308605_1115714561774140_65026693625732...e=56ECE54B]

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2015, 03:20 PM
(04-12-2015 07:44 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  OF COURSE NOT ---- just make it so inconvenient, and costly that only the very rich can afford to have and use guns.... JUST LIKE ENGLAND!!!!!

You don't have to be rich to own a gun here.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
05-12-2015, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2015 03:33 PM by GirlyMan.)

spirits open to the thrust of grace ....

#sigh
05-12-2015, 03:51 PM
(05-12-2015 02:17 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  [Image: 12308605_1115714561774140_65026693625732...e=56ECE54B]

Misleading.

The laws that need to be put in place limit access so that potential crims/terrorists have less access such as the bill that was shot down earlier this year that targeted terror suspects to stop them from legally obtaining a gun (puns intended).

Also all the talk about tougher penalties to curb gun violence could just as easily be represented by this meme.

I'm on my phone so I can't provide the link to today's shooting of a 7 year old girl and her mother by a jealous lover in Florida. Not all shooters wear masks.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
05-12-2015, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2015 05:12 PM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
(05-12-2015 03:51 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(05-12-2015 02:17 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  [Image: 12308605_1115714561774140_65026693625732...e=56ECE54B]
The laws that need to be put in place limit access

Exactly. 100% correct.

That's why France never has terrorist attacks with firearms.

Oh wait.

The simple fact is no gun law will ever stop a terrorist. They're terrorists. They WILL NOT FOLLOW THE LAW. They'll steal them. They'll smuggle them from Mexico. They'll buy them from gang bangers down on the corner. It's a pipe dream. Gun laws do nothing to prevent crime or terrorism. Background checks do one thing: They stop people with felonies from purchasing a gun LEGALLY. No law on the books or imagined would have stopped any terrorist or mass shooter or active shooter in recent memory. It's a complete waste of time and effort.

Just call it for what it is. Full gun control/gun bans is the dream of the left so they can have complete control of the populace. So they can pass any laws they want without fear of a public uprising.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
05-12-2015, 05:53 PM
(05-12-2015 03:20 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(04-12-2015 07:44 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  OF COURSE NOT ---- just make it so inconvenient, and costly that only the very rich can afford to have and use guns.... JUST LIKE ENGLAND!!!!!

You don't have to be rich to own a gun here.
Really???

Give me a complete breakdown of what it takes for you to buy and own an AR-15, a Glock 20, a 98 Mauser (in 8mm) a Ruger Red Label 12 gauge, a Smith and Wesson model 29 and a Beretta Neos 22 caliber semi-auto pistol........

And before you bark "THATS AN ARSENAL" --- that would be a small fraction of the guns that I own -- a modest collection ---- and I've been out of work since 2001...............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.