Root Causes: San Bernardino, California shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2015, 11:35 AM
RE: Root Causes: San Bernardino, California shooting
(08-12-2015 11:34 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Arsenal is a misused term that the media loves to bleat at every opportunity.

An arsenal is a collection of weapons for arming an army.

A person's personal guns are simply a collection.

ar·se·nal
ˈärs(ə)n(ə)l/
noun
a collection of weapons and military equipment stored by a country, person, or group.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2015, 11:49 AM
(08-12-2015 11:04 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 11:01 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Actual math

49/100 * 41 equals 20.09 % relative difference.

Has nothing to do with 8% reduction in one direction, 8% increase in the other.

Then I misread which argument was being used to demonstrate a 20 percentage point change.

In fact my math is embarrassingly wrong too Facepalm

Should be (49-41) / (49/100) actually 16.3% relative difference.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
08-12-2015, 03:03 PM
(08-12-2015 11:34 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Arsenal is a misused term that the media loves to bleat at every opportunity.

An arsenal is a collection of weapons for arming an army.

A person's personal guns are simply a collection.

Still has nothing to do with a crappy vetting system where people with no record at purchase of buy, who have problems who should not have them. Still does not have anything to do with our flooded market. Don't rightfully complain about guns getting into the wrong hands then not be willing to do anything about it.

I am sure the SB shooter's friend thought he was a nice guy sharing his enthusiasm for guns. Checked himself into a mental institution. I am sure the girl who killed her well trained "instructor" isn't going to suffer a bit because of her parent's or owners of the range "enthusiasm".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik carried out their jihad in a state with expanded background checks, registration requirements for “assault weapons,” and an “A” rating from the Brady Campaign.

Shit doesn't work.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
08-12-2015, 03:39 PM
(08-12-2015 03:12 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik carried out their jihad in a state with expanded background checks, registration requirements for “assault weapons,” and an “A” rating from the Brady Campaign.

Shit doesn't work.

You just made a great argument for why assault-style weapons should be banned. Thumbsup

btw you never gave me an answer to what you would consider a reasonable gun control law...still waiting. Drinking Beverage

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
08-12-2015, 03:56 PM
(08-12-2015 03:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 03:12 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik carried out their jihad in a state with expanded background checks, registration requirements for “assault weapons,” and an “A” rating from the Brady Campaign.

Shit doesn't work.

You just made a great argument for why assault-style weapons should be banned. Thumbsup

btw you never gave me an answer to what you would consider a reasonable gun control law...still waiting. Drinking Beverage

None. You made me realize that background checks serve no purpose because they do not predict future bad behavior. Only an outright ban of EVERY firearm and full confiscation will lower firearm violence.

But we can't do that, obviously, without a constitutional amendment and a possible civil war.

And that won't stop guns from coming across the border from Mexico, falling into the hands of thugs and jihadists.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
08-12-2015, 05:11 PM

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
08-12-2015, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2015 06:00 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-12-2015 11:49 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 11:04 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Then I misread which argument was being used to demonstrate a 20 percentage point change.

In fact my math is embarrassingly wrong too Facepalm

Should be (49-41) / (49/100) actually 16.3% relative difference.

pssssst.... I think you want 100*(49-41)/41 = 19.5% .... p.s. please don't hunt me down and kill me.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-12-2015, 06:23 PM
(08-12-2015 09:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  ...
And there has been a sharp rise in the Hispanic population who show a significantly lower rate of gun ownership.

I think we have a solution ... more Mexicans!

Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
08-12-2015, 07:18 PM
(08-12-2015 03:56 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Only an outright ban of EVERY firearm and full confiscation will lower firearm violence.

SOLD!

As for your "jihadist" comments, I think if I was as paranoid about this as you are, I'd have opened a vein by now. You need like 100cc of reality injected into you. The attacks last week were horrific but it's a small one-off event. You are far more likely to be shot at by some local crazy with either a Christian agenda or is just regular old bat shit crazy, and even those odds are close to zero. Can it happen? Sure, it can happen. But, to focus so much energy on it is ridiculous. You can get killed in a car crash too, which is exponentially more likely, but you probably don't spend 5 seconds of your day worrying about traffic fatalities.

This is what these nutjobs want. They don't shoot up a Christmas party to kill 14 people. 14 people die every 2 seconds in this country due to some stupid shit. They shot up a Christmas party so people like you could go all icky ballicky over it and be scared. They are beating you right now. And you are letting them.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post