Root Causes: San Bernardino, California shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2015, 11:52 AM
RE: Root Causes: San Bernardino, California shooting
(09-12-2015 11:04 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  there's most definitely a problem. But the problem isn't guns, its people. it's just a whole lot easier to try to ban guns and pretend you're doing something, rather than to get it root of the problem - assholes.

And yet we have Australia as an example on what happens when stricter gun laws are enacted, mass shootings stop.

Are people the problem? Well that is an incomplete answer. The complete answer is people with guns. I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but the numbers back it up, twenty years worth of data on a countrywide level.

Australia Hasn’t Had A Mass Shooting Since 1996
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/06/austra...ince-1996/

Assholes will be assholes, allowing them easy access to firearms is the problem.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
09-12-2015, 12:13 PM
(09-12-2015 08:39 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I think we need a "guns 'n' math" thread.

OK. Maybe it could look something like this test.

Each answer is worth 1 point.

Q1:

What is the ratio of gun related deaths in the US as compared to each of the countries listed using the graph below?
(1 point per correct ratio)

[Image: Gun-Violence-Graphic_053867749874.jpg]

Q2:

Using the graph below, what percentage of gun related deaths per 100,000 of the population would you get if you considered all the other G8 countries (excluding Russia) as one entity and compared them to the US?
Bonus question: Is it higher or lower?

[Image: URF0r7E.png]

Learning math through gun violence. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
09-12-2015, 12:27 PM
(09-12-2015 12:13 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Learning math through gun violence. Thumbsup

Well; to draw any conclusions one would need to begin isolating potential variables.

If the United States has a generally higher crime rate and generally higher gun ownership - it does - then that's a plausible explanation for higher firearm use in crimes. But does that rate track higher even than what would be expected given both the aforementioned? I don't know, though I seem to recall it does, but it's the kind of thing one would want to find out.
(notwithstanding other omitted factors - the American suicide rate with firearms is higher due to the latter of the aforementioned, perhaps, but South Korea and Japan of the countries mentioned have significantly higher total suicide rates, as one example)

... this is my signature!
09-12-2015, 12:40 PM
(09-12-2015 12:13 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 08:39 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I think we need a "guns 'n' math" thread.

OK. Maybe it could look something like this test.

Each answer is worth 1 point.

Q1:

What is the ratio of gun related deaths in the US as compared to each of the countries listed using the graph below?
(1 point per correct ratio)

[Image: Gun-Violence-Graphic_053867749874.jpg]

Q2:

Using the graph below, what percentage of gun related deaths per 100,000 of the population would you get if you considered all the other G8 countries (excluding Russia) as one entity and compared them to the US?
Bonus question: Is it higher or lower?

[Image: URF0r7E.png]

Learning math through gun violence. Thumbsup

In the statistics I looked at the other day, something jumped out at me that is also apparent in these charts. Of the U.S "gun deaths", there are almost twice as many suicides as homicides. This surprised me. Although statistics are never as simple as they appear, it's tempting to jump to the conclusion that Lord Dark Helmet is twice as likely to shoot himself as to be shot by anyone else. So if he really wants to be safe, he should get rid of all his guns pronto.

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
09-12-2015, 01:22 PM
(09-12-2015 12:27 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 12:13 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Learning math through gun violence. Thumbsup

Well; to draw any conclusions one would need to begin isolating potential variables.

If the United States has a generally higher crime rate and generally higher gun ownership - it does - then that's a plausible explanation for higher firearm use in crimes. But does that rate track higher even than what would be expected given both the aforementioned? I don't know, though I seem to recall it does, but it's the kind of thing one would want to find out.
(notwithstanding other omitted factors - the American suicide rate with firearms is higher due to the latter of the aforementioned, perhaps, but South Korea and Japan of the countries mentioned have significantly higher total suicide rates, as one example)

While you may be absolutely correct with your analysis the questions specifically asked the student to use the aforementioned graphs given to arrive at their answer. Smile

I don’t want to fail you cjlr Angel

09-12-2015, 02:07 PM
(09-12-2015 11:52 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 11:04 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  there's most definitely a problem. But the problem isn't guns, its people. it's just a whole lot easier to try to ban guns and pretend you're doing something, rather than to get it root of the problem - assholes.

And yet we have Australia as an example on what happens when stricter gun laws are enacted, mass shootings stop.

Are people the problem? Well that is an incomplete answer. The complete answer is people with guns. I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but the numbers back it up, twenty years worth of data on a countrywide level.

Assholes will be assholes, allowing them easy access to firearms is the problem.

"The 2011 Hectorville siege took place between the hours of 2:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. on Friday, 29 April 2011, at the small suburb of Hectorville, east of Adelaide in the state of South Australia, Australia. It began after a 39-year-old resident of the suburb, later identified as Donato Anthony Corbo, entered his neighbours' property and shot four people, killing three and severly wounding one. An eight-hour stand-off with police followed, during which time he shot and wounded two officers. The stand-off culminated in his arrest by members of the Special Tasks and Rescue unit of South Australia Police"

http://www.news.com.au/national/armed-si...6047448020

Not a mass shooting by FBI definition but still.

"Geoff Hunt of New South Wales shot and killed his wife, three children and himself in September 2014".

That is a mass shooting by definition.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ralia.html

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
09-12-2015, 02:32 PM
(09-12-2015 02:07 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 11:52 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  And yet we have Australia as an example on what happens when stricter gun laws are enacted, mass shootings stop.

"The 2011 Hectorville siege took place between the hours of 2:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. on Friday, 29 April 2011, at the small suburb of Hectorville, east of Adelaide in the state of South Australia, Australia. It began after a 39-year-old resident of the suburb, later identified as Donato Anthony Corbo, entered his neighbours' property and shot four people, killing three and severly wounding one. An eight-hour stand-off with police followed, during which time he shot and wounded two officers. The stand-off culminated in his arrest by members of the Special Tasks and Rescue unit of South Australia Police"

"Geoff Hunt of New South Wales shot and killed his wife, three children and himself in September 2014".

Thanks for the update. Thumbsup

So there have been two in Australia since 1996... And we've had two in the last 2-3 weeks alone in case anyone has forgotten.

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
09-12-2015, 02:42 PM
(09-12-2015 02:32 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 02:07 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  "The 2011 Hectorville siege took place between the hours of 2:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. on Friday, 29 April 2011, at the small suburb of Hectorville, east of Adelaide in the state of South Australia, Australia. It began after a 39-year-old resident of the suburb, later identified as Donato Anthony Corbo, entered his neighbours' property and shot four people, killing three and severly wounding one. An eight-hour stand-off with police followed, during which time he shot and wounded two officers. The stand-off culminated in his arrest by members of the Special Tasks and Rescue unit of South Australia Police"

Thanks for the update. Thumbsup

So there have been two in Australia since 1996... And we've had two in the last 2-3 weeks alone in case anyone has forgotten.

I wasn't debating their lack of shootings, it's obvious they don't have nearly as much anymore, I was just saying none since the 1996 one is false.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
09-12-2015, 02:50 PM
(09-12-2015 02:42 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 02:32 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Thanks for the update. Thumbsup

I wasn't debating their lack of shootings, it's obvious they don't have nearly as much anymore, I was just saying none since the 1996 one is false.

I know, I wasn't being sarcastic when I thanked you for the update. The piece I quoted must be dated.

09-12-2015, 02:59 PM
(09-12-2015 02:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 02:42 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I wasn't debating their lack of shootings, it's obvious they don't have nearly as much anymore, I was just saying none since the 1996 one is false.

I know, I wasn't being sarcastic when I thanked you for the update. The piece I quoted must be dated.

Alright, just wanted to explain myself before someone took my post the wrong way and probably but it happens. You were in the right direction so, that's what matters.