Roundabouts vs 4 way stops

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Personally I love roundabouts but most Americans hate them. I've never given it any thought but there is a different kind of accident that happens in roundabouts vs 4 way stops and there are less of them.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/23/round...accidents/

Portland has just a few roundabouts but I think there should be more of them.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2015, 11:25 AM
RE: Roundabouts vs 4 way stops
The problem with roundabouts in DC is that there are no courteous drivers. Once I enter, I can never leave.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-11-2015, 11:44 AM
I live in a small city, and we have quite a few. I like them, despite the rednecks who like to race around them.
15-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Roundabouts & traffic circles are the only sane way to design roads - NO STOPPING. That is to say, less acceleration/deceleration. What do you call a state with no acceleration? That's right - STABLE!

Obviously, roundabouts & traffic circles don't eliminate acceleration/deceleration, but they sure reduce it, and improve the general stability of traffic flow. Their main "disadvantage" isn't traffic, it's acreage. Roundabouts/circles require more acreage and in areas already built up they can't be put in without knocking down buildings. If a city were designed as a hex tile layout instead of a square tile layout its traffic circles would be built in.

As for Girly's problem in DC, it has nothing to do with driver courtesy. That town is in a permanent state of gridlock and girly shouldn't be in a car in the first place. DC is the only town where installing traffic circles would not improve flow, it would simply convert gridlock into infinite loop. But that's DC, our special site operated solely and specifically for the amusement of the outer world.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
15-11-2015, 12:08 PM
I don't mind them. Lots here in Massachusetts. The one time I don't like them are when I'm following gps and can't tell which exit I need to take.
I found the two-way traffic roundabouts in Engkand absolutely terrifying, though.
15-11-2015, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2015 08:46 AM by Full Circle.)
Roundabouts are the only sane solution.

Earlier this year the sister of a good friend was killed when another driver ran a light doing 60 mph in a residential zone. A roundabout in all probability would have saved her life.

[Image: conflict_points.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
15-11-2015, 01:03 PM
(15-11-2015 11:22 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Personally I love roundabouts but most Americans hate them. I've never given it any thought but there is a different kind of accident that happens in roundabouts vs 4 way stops and there are less of them.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/23/round...accidents/

Portland has just a few roundabouts but I think there should be more of them.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I first experienced them while driving in England. I loved them because if I missed one I just went around again. Last year they constructed them in a large city in North Carolina where I lived at the time and they had to publish a 20 booklet because people were always screwing up trying to get through them.

Now living in a central Florida I am afraid if they introduced them here some of the elderly residents would never get home from grocery shopping.

Big Grin

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
[+] 2 users Like OhDannyBoy's post
15-11-2015, 01:16 PM
(15-11-2015 11:25 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The problem with roundabouts in DC is that there are no courteous drivers. Once I enter, I can never leave.

Girly, I just knew you'd post that scene. I just knew it! Laugh out load

The other interesting thing, besides being safer, is that the types of car damage in an accident is different. T-bone accidents don't happen. I don't know why roundabouts aren't a bigger thing here in the US. Maybe I should start a roundabout movement.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
15-11-2015, 01:23 PM
(15-11-2015 12:34 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Roundabout are the only sane solution.

Earlier this year the sister of a good friend was killed when another driver ran a light doing 60 mph in a residential zone. A roundabout in all probability would have saved her life.

[Image: conflict_points.jpg]

Where did you find that diagram, that's interesting?

15-11-2015, 01:54 PM
The town I grew up in put a round-about in on a very dangerous intersection that was about 200 yards from my childhood home. I can vividly remember at least 5 very bad accidents, 2 resulting in deaths, which I ran from my house to help or at least call 911. As a child those images stick with you.

Since putting in the round-about on that intersection, not one single accident has occurred in 4 years (my mother was one who pushed for the round-about). Before, about 4 accidents per year were the norm.

It's one anecdotal story but the evidence in this one place seems to posit that round-abouts do reduce accidents in certain scenarios at least.

**Crickets** -- God