Roundabouts vs 4 way stops

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2015, 01:56 PM
RE: Roundabouts vs 4 way stops
You mean Rotaries?

They don't have them nearly at all in my midwest regions but when I was driving around Massachusetts & New Hampshire with an exgf from up there, it was an interesting debacle that she laughed at me for being wigged out by at first. I got to the point of grasping it after less than a dozen times and I do think they're far more neat.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2015, 03:08 PM
(15-11-2015 01:03 PM)OhDannyBoy Wrote:  Last year they constructed them in a large city in North Carolina where I lived at the time and they had to publish a 20 booklet because people were always screwing up trying to get through them.
Yeah. Not sure why NC is installing more, but so many don't get them. I like them. My landlord is convinced you legally have to go around at least one full circle before coming out. Coupled with him always driving under the speed limit, he's going to get into a collision.
15-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Best bet ---

close your eyes and simply blow through the intersection at the highest speed your vehicle is capable of........

We'll watch....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-11-2015, 06:59 PM
(15-11-2015 01:23 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(15-11-2015 12:34 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Roundabout are the only sane solution.

Earlier this year the sister of a good friend was killed when another driver ran a light doing 60 mph in a residential zone. A roundabout in all probability would have saved her life.

[Image: conflict_points.jpg]

Where did you find that diagram, that's interesting?

I Googled https://www.google.com/search?q=roundabo...37&bih=780

Here’s an explanation
http://www.aarp.org/livable-communities/...bouts.html

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
15-11-2015, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2015 07:24 PM by Siz.)
Firstly, to Airportkid, acreage is not an issue. Here in UK we do not even need a physical roundabout to drive around. We have thousands of 'mini roundabouts' which are just circles painted in the middle of the junction. The point is that the rules of priority are observed and they function perfectly. Any junction where traffic lights currently exist could house a roundabout.

Secondly, one of the most common accidents in the UK is at roundabouts where a driver, as he approaches, is so busy looking at the traffic on the roundabout that he slams into the rear of a vehicle in front waiting to enter. This is not the fault of the design of the junction, of course, but simply careless drivers.

Thirdly, roundabouts do not, as some of you suggest, rely on courtesy. They rely on a very simple concept of priority to the left (or right in the UK), alongside a requirement to travel anticlockwise (clockwise in the UK). Simple as that.

Is the fact that Americans aren't able to grasp a simple set of priorities reason enough not to install more roundabouts in the US? Hmmm, yeah probably...

However, they've got something right - right turn on red is something I wish they'd introduce here (except, left turn on red, of course).

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton Lavey
If god had meant us to believe in him he would've existed - Linda Smith
[+] 2 users Like Siz's post
15-11-2015, 07:53 PM
One thing I'm curious about is pedestrian safety in roundabouts. I've driven through several roundabouts but haven't walked around one.

I remember trying to get across the road to see the Arc de Triomphe in Paris and it was mighty scary. The drivers didn't seem to care if they run pedestrians over.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
15-11-2015, 08:05 PM
My town has a few roundabouts in our downtown/historic district. I prefer them to 4-ways, as I find that there's typically less confusion about progression.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Americans hate them for the same reasons they hate the metric system.
The metric system is clearly superior, it makes sense and the rest of the world uses it.

Roundabouts are incredible easy to use, even idiot Americans could do it, they're more efficient, quicker and safer than 4 way intersections. They can also be different sizes depending on the need, from really small to really big.

I'm surprised Americans haven't adopted them actually. I guess they just enjoy sitting in traffic more than they should be.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
15-11-2015, 08:34 PM
I hate em. People are too stupid to follow the yield signs.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
15-11-2015, 08:59 PM
Rainbow RE: Roundabouts vs 4 way stops
(15-11-2015 01:03 PM)OhDannyBoy Wrote:  
(15-11-2015 11:22 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Personally I love roundabouts but most Americans hate them. I've never given it any thought but there is a different kind of accident that happens in roundabouts vs 4 way stops and there are less of them.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/23/round...accidents/

Portland has just a few roundabouts but I think there should be more of them.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I first experienced them while driving in England. I loved them because if I missed one I just went around again. Last year they constructed them in a large city in North Carolina where I lived at the time and they had to publish a 20 booklet because people were always screwing up trying to get through them.

Now living in a central Florida I am afraid if they introduced them here some of the elderly residents would never get home from grocery shopping.

Big Grin

DJ

Did you drive in Swindon or Aylesbury?

The infamous Magic Roundabout' is a whole different kettle of ballgames.

I'll find a pic when I finish work

Ohmy
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post