Roundabouts vs 4 way stops

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2015, 09:08 PM
RE: Roundabouts vs 4 way stops
(15-11-2015 08:31 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Americans hate them for the same reasons they hate the metric system.
The metric system is clearly superior, it makes sense and the rest of the world uses it.

Roundabouts are incredible easy to use, even idiot Americans could do it, they're more efficient, quicker and safer than 4 way intersections. They can also be different sizes depending on the need, from really small to really big.

I'm surprised Americans haven't adopted them actually. I guess they just enjoy sitting in traffic more than they should be.

We have lots of them in Massachusetts. Yes

Pro tip: Massachusetts has lots of Americans. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-11-2015, 09:14 PM
In Winnipeg we now have a few small roundabouts replacing 4-way stops in residential neighbourhoods, but nothing on any major routes.

Personally, I think they're much nicer than 4-way stops and would like to see more of them.
15-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Give way to the right (UK)...

What could be more simpler?

In the wrong lane? Just drive around the roundabout again until you get into the right one. Thumbsup

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
15-11-2015, 09:38 PM
(15-11-2015 08:59 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-11-2015 01:03 PM)OhDannyBoy Wrote:  I first experienced them while driving in England. I loved them because if I missed one I just went around again. Last year they constructed them in a large city in North Carolina where I lived at the time and they had to publish a 20 booklet because people were always screwing up trying to get through them.

Now living in a central Florida I am afraid if they introduced them here some of the elderly residents would never get home from grocery shopping.

Big Grin

DJ

Did you drive in Swindon or Aylesbury?

The infamous Magic Roundabout' is a whole different kettle of ballgames.

I'll find a pic when I finish work

Ohmy

I couldn't wait for you to finish work so I googled it.

What the hell? Huh It reminds me of that song from the sixties....Windmills of My Mind.

[Image: magic-roundabout-a-masterpi_med.jpeg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
15-11-2015, 10:00 PM

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
15-11-2015, 10:54 PM
Oh, dear.

Oh, dear.

I just had a terrifying Eris-worthy vision: Remodelling Winnipeg's Confusion Corner along the lines of the Magic Roundabout. I think a rift in the space-time continuum would follow in short order. Ohmy
15-11-2015, 10:58 PM
(15-11-2015 08:59 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-11-2015 01:03 PM)OhDannyBoy Wrote:  I first experienced them while driving in England. I loved them because if I missed one I just went around again. Last year they constructed them in a large city in North Carolina where I lived at the time and they had to publish a 20 booklet because people were always screwing up trying to get through them.

Now living in a central Florida I am afraid if they introduced them here some of the elderly residents would never get home from grocery shopping.

Big Grin

DJ

Did you drive in Swindon or Aylesbury?

The infamous Magic Roundabout' is a whole different kettle of ballgames.

I'll find a pic when I finish work

Ohmy
Been there, done the Swindon one Hobo
Just stick to the outside, don't bother cutting through the middle. I knew some North Americans stationed near Swindon who NEVER went into the city because it meant going through that roundabout.
'course it was Swindon, so no great loss ...

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
16-11-2015, 06:53 AM
(15-11-2015 11:22 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Portland has just a few roundabouts but I think there should be more of them.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I'm fine with them. We have one in my work campus, but there are very few around where I live in Michigan.

My biggest complaint about them is how other drivers freak out when they see them and don't know how to respond. I hate waiting behind the guy who comes to a full stop at the yield sign in the entrance.

When someone asks what they're supposed to do, I point to the two signs at the approach: yield and one-way. Should be pretty obvious. You can only turn right, and you yield to any traffic already in there.
16-11-2015, 10:00 AM
I like 'em, as long as they are sufficiently large. I've been through a couple small ones where 4 cars pretty well fills them up. Those are about impossible if your vehicle is anything other than a scooter.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
16-11-2015, 01:44 PM
People have been getting used to them here. All of our roundabouts are on smaller road. What is freaking everyone in the area now is that an overpass is being turned into a divergent diamond. Like the roundabout, it eliminates left-hand turns across traffic. I've been through it a couple of times. The first time was a messy construction zone experience, but they've cleaned it up. I think the light timing will be the biggest thing to make it work.

Invisible, undetectable results don’t count