Poll: Do you uphold the oath to the Queen?
Yes, who doesn’t like pomp
No, the royals suck
Ay?
[Show Results]

Royal rejection: naturalised Canadians recant oath of allegiance to Queen

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2016, 01:40 PM
So my Canadian friends, have you recanted your oath to Her Majesty the Queen yet?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ma...l-monarchy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2016, 01:44 PM
RE: Royal rejection: naturalised Canadians recant oath of allegiance to Queen
How do you spell Canada?

C Ay? N Ay? D Ay? Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
31-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Let me ask my two Canadian brothers and former draft dodgers.......... (give me a sec)

I'm back.

They said, "Whaddoya mean, recanted their allegiance to the Queen? "

[Image: 1.+Bohemian+Rhapsody.png]

BowingBowing

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
31-03-2016, 02:27 PM
(31-03-2016 01:44 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  How do you spell Canada?

C Ay? N Ay? D Ay? Angel

*sigh*

You spelled the joke wrong.

"C" eh? "N" eh? "D" eh?

And while this did make a blip in the news a few years back the overwhelming majority of Canadians have long since forgotten it. Those of us born here never take a citizenship oath.

Your average Canadian views the monarchy in much the same way that your average apatheist views god. You forget about them completely until they do something amusing and they aren't a problem unless they try and start making laws. Unlike god, the Queen actually exists and is a surprisingly good statesperson. It's handy to be a member of the Commonwealth and the pageantry is amusing so few people give it much thought. That and we get an extra vacation day in May.

It's my sincere hope that Obama's final act will be to sign a bipartisan bill dissolving the Union and requesting that Her Majesty resume British rule since democracy in the US is obviously a failed experiment.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
31-03-2016, 02:36 PM
I don't recall taking that oath. Can't really remember it. But the only interesting thing I know about the Queen is that my mother met her and got a hug from her on my mother's birthday. It was during an Evangeline & Gabriel festival long ago. (It's an Acadian thing.)
31-03-2016, 02:45 PM
As a former Canadian army officer, I swore allegiance to "Her Majesty The Queen in Right of Canada ", who is the official Head of State, and I received my commission from the Governor General, who is officially the Commander-in-Chief.

You will see this "Her Majesty The Queen in Right of Canada" preamble, or something very similar, in all federal government contracts (followed by something like "as Represented by the Minister of ...". The shortened version throughout the contract is "the Crown".

It's not a big deal for us, but foreign contractors tend to startle when they first see it. Which is kinda funny Smile

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
31-03-2016, 03:01 PM
As long as they don't renounce hockey.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
31-03-2016, 03:25 PM
Good for them.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
31-03-2016, 03:58 PM
As an Aussie, it pisses me off that we still kowtow to an inbred family that reigns over another country, propped up by millions of pounds of English taxpayers' money.

Every time a couple of these self-serving pompous gits lands on out shores, we cough up anything between a million and 3 million bucks just to enable them to swan around kissing screaming babies and shaking the hands of senile elderly citizens. Hopefully, when Betty carks it, we'll truly grow up and declare ourselves a republic. She's about as useful as a chocolate teapot FFS.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
01-04-2016, 07:13 PM
(31-03-2016 03:58 PM)SYZ Wrote:  As an Aussie, it pisses me off that we still kowtow to an inbred family that reigns over another country, propped up by millions of pounds of English taxpayers' money.

Every time a couple of these self-serving pompous gits lands on out shores, we cough up anything between a million and 3 million bucks just to enable them to swan around kissing screaming babies and shaking the hands of senile elderly citizens. Hopefully, when Betty carks it, we'll truly grow up and declare ourselves a republic. She's about as useful as a chocolate teapot FFS.

Ironically, the Royal Family doesn't cost that much, if anything, to maintain if you factor in the revenue they generate in publicity and tourism. It's actually a pretty debatable subject.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post