Rubber band ball

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Rubber band ball
Has anyone ever attempted to make a rubber band ball. I made a few as a child, the largest of which was the size of a softball. I took rubber bands from the produce section of a (then) local grocery store to make it. I decided to make another one while serving in the military. This time I actually paid money by purchasing large bags of rubber bands from an office supply store. I stopped working on it years ago when it passed the diameter of a basket ball. It's solid rubber bands through to the core, so it is quite heavy for its size. It probably weighs 25 lbs (11.3 kg) or more. I use it as a medicine ball.

My younger brother was inspired to make his own and surpassed mine. His is probably twice the size. Anyway, here are some pictures of mine.

[Image: LNmLL7.jpg]
[Image: KwZ0gm.jpg]
[Image: 9tvVX5.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like ghostexorcist's post
31-07-2014, 03:47 PM
RE: Rubber band ball
I haven't, I never could figure out how the heck you start one of those things?

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
31-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Sounds expensive, but my figures might be rubbery....
[+] 4 users Like Mr Woof's post
31-07-2014, 04:03 PM
(31-07-2014 03:47 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I haven't, I never could figure out how the heck you start one of those things?

The very first examples I made were started by wrapping rubber bands around those clear plastic balls containing toys from the vending machine. The pictured ball was started by doubling over a bunch of rubber bands around my fingers, sort of the way you would place a hair tie around your fingers before putting it on a ponytail. Then I wrapped some perpendicularly around those. This created sort of an X shape. The spaces in the X were wrapped, creating a sort of oval shape. I achieved the round shape by turning the ball slightly each time I placed a new rubber band.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
31-07-2014, 04:08 PM
(31-07-2014 01:14 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Has anyone ever attempted to make a rubber band ball. I made a few as a child, the largest of which was the size of a softball. I took rubber bands from the produce section of a (then) local grocery store to make it. I decided to make another one while serving in the military. This time I actually paid money by purchasing large bags of rubber bands from an office supply store. I stopped working on it years ago when it passed the diameter of a basket ball. It's solid rubber bands through to the core, so it is quite heavy for its size. It probably weighs 25 lbs (11.3 kg) or more. I use it as a medicine ball.

My younger brother was inspired to make his own and surpassed mine. His is probably twice the size. Anyway, here are some pictures of mine.

I never have made one of those things. Don't know how, don't have the patience.

Once I met a guy who reported to have made a flail or mace out of a rubber band ball and duct tape (toilet paper rolls were also involved, I believe).

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
31-07-2014, 04:15 PM
(31-07-2014 04:08 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(31-07-2014 01:14 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Has anyone ever attempted to make a rubber band ball. I made a few as a child, the largest of which was the size of a softball. I took rubber bands from the produce section of a (then) local grocery store to make it. I decided to make another one while serving in the military. This time I actually paid money by purchasing large bags of rubber bands from an office supply store. I stopped working on it years ago when it passed the diameter of a basket ball. It's solid rubber bands through to the core, so it is quite heavy for its size. It probably weighs 25 lbs (11.3 kg) or more. I use it as a medicine ball.

I never have made one of those things. Don't know how, don't have the patience.

Once I met a guy who reported to have made a flail or mace out of a rubber band ball and duct tape (toilet paper rolls were also involved, I believe).

Interesting. I would just put it in a sock.
31-07-2014, 04:22 PM
(31-07-2014 04:15 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(31-07-2014 04:08 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I never have made one of those things. Don't know how, don't have the patience.

Interesting. I would just put it in a sock.

Well if you are going to do something like that anyway, why not just go all out on it?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
31-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Holy crap that thing's cool! I think I would start off liking something like that but probably would get burnt out when the rubber bands would snap. I know they have rubber bands of all sizes but I have bad luck fitting rubber bands around things. Either that or after a while it would remind me of a yarn ball and I would try to unravel it then get really really sad when I get to the core of the rubber band ball. Still, yours is really cool! Are you going to make another one?

[Image: notagain.gif]
31-07-2014, 04:56 PM
(31-07-2014 04:22 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(31-07-2014 04:15 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Interesting. I would just put it in a sock.

Well if you are going to do something like that anyway, why not just go all out on it?

I'm talking about an easier option for weaponization. If it's just for show, then I would put more effort into it.

(31-07-2014 04:30 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  Holy crap that thing's cool! I think I would start off liking something like that but probably would get burnt out when the rubber bands would snap. I know they have rubber bands of all sizes but I have bad luck fitting rubber bands around things. Either that or after a while it would remind me of a yarn ball and I would try to unravel it then get really really sad when I get to the core of the rubber band ball. Still, yours is really cool! Are you going to make another one?

Nope. I've had my fill of them. It took me a long time to get it up to that size. Plus, your fingers get rubbed raw by the rubber bands.
31-07-2014, 05:25 PM
(31-07-2014 04:56 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(31-07-2014 04:22 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Well if you are going to do something like that anyway, why not just go all out on it?

I'm talking about an easier option for weaponization. If it's just for show, then I would put more effort into it.

(31-07-2014 04:30 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  Holy crap that thing's cool! I think I would start off liking something like that but probably would get burnt out when the rubber bands would snap. I know they have rubber bands of all sizes but I have bad luck fitting rubber bands around things. Either that or after a while it would remind me of a yarn ball and I would try to unravel it then get really really sad when I get to the core of the rubber band ball. Still, yours is really cool! Are you going to make another one?

Nope. I've had my fill of them. It took me a long time to get it up to that size. Plus, your fingers get rubbed raw by the rubber bands.
Probably for the best. I'm sure your fingers will enjoy knowing that you've decided not to create another rubber ball of epic Smile

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post