Ruining my Saturday night by watching "Jesus Camp"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2014, 12:03 AM
RE: Ruining my Saturday night by watching "Jesus Camp"
(19-04-2014 10:22 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(19-04-2014 10:15 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  JDog, see the movie THEN come back and discuss it.

I will

Well got through a little over half of it before my laptop decided to freeze up, glad it did I could not take anymore of that horror.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2014, 06:10 AM
(19-04-2014 09:34 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  The one thing I liked about the movie was that it didn't set out to demonize faith. It just showed how it is, and it let's you see the horror for yourself.

Edit: I didn't state that well... I feel the evils of religion should be pointed out, but I like that they didn't even have to, if that makes sense. It was an honest look into indoctrination, and the evil spoke for itself without help.

I had a professor (who was a former priest turned free thinker) who once told me, "If something is truly terrible, you don't need to hide or try to demonize it. All you have to do is put it on stage with a microphone and let people see it for what it is."

"The truth must dazzle gradually / or every man be blind." Emily Dickinson
[+] 5 users Like Virgo Supercluster's post
20-04-2014, 08:50 AM
I saw this many years ago and was appalled. At the time I still had some sympathies for Catholicism and was sickened by the arrogance and intolerance. Now I live not too far from ORU (which, btw, stay away from. Very bad neighborhood) and I feel sorta meh. This shit happens, and it's not too uncommon. Yes the practices are incredibly unethical and dishonest, but that's pretty common for this type of Christian in this area.

If you want to see something really messed up, watch Deliver Us From Evil. That shit will make you mad as hell.
20-04-2014, 08:52 AM
(20-04-2014 08:50 AM)natachan Wrote:  If you want to see something really messed up, watch Deliver Us From Evil. That shit will make you mad as hell.

I don't think I have heard of that. Is that a similar type of documentary?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
20-04-2014, 08:54 AM
(20-04-2014 08:52 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(20-04-2014 08:50 AM)natachan Wrote:  If you want to see something really messed up, watch Deliver Us From Evil. That shit will make you mad as hell.

I don't think I have heard of that. Is that a similar type of documentary?

I thought it was a horror movie.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
20-04-2014, 11:14 AM
It's about the systematic pedophile problem the Catholic Church has. It focuses on one priest and shows how everyone up to the former pope ratzinger were in on it.
20-04-2014, 11:17 AM
(20-04-2014 11:14 AM)natachan Wrote:  It's about the systematic pedophile problem the Catholic Church has. It focuses on one priest and shows how everyone up to the former pope ratzinger were in on it.

Ah yep, wached that one recently, absolutely disgusting and heartbreaking. That dad that kept breaking down while he talked about the abuse his daughter suffered right under their nose... So sad.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
20-04-2014, 11:26 AM
I had never heard of "Jesus Camp", but just watched it here:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/jesus-camp/

It's a very disturbing film that made me both angry and sad. Those kids don't have a chance and will probably grow up and subject more kids to the same crap. Sad

It really ticked me off toward the end when Haggard tells Levi to keep being "cute" until he's 30 and by then maybe he'll have good content. He hadn't even heard Levi preach and he just stepped all over him anyway. Levi didn't look too hurt, but I think inside his pride must have gotten knocked down a few notches. Sad

I lost count of how many times I heard "bring this country back to one nation under gawd". The dumbasses "forget" that we never were one nation under gawd until 1954 when Congress added "under gawd" to the Pledge of Allegiance. Yeah, we need to go back all right, but it isn't back to "under gawd" that we need to go. Dodgy

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
20-04-2014, 12:41 PM
(19-04-2014 08:20 PM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  I don't know why I do this to myself. My heart breaks for all of the American home-schooled kids who are being taught that creationism is the truth, global warming is a lie, and so on. So, I go and watch a documentary about all of that on Netflix.

I've never seen myself as being an anti-theist. But, brainwashing kids and tormenting them with images of hell is so cruel and so worthy of our ridicule.

Have you guys seen it?

I haven't read all the replies, so I don't know if any ones suggested this yet, but if you really want to depress yourself, watch "Waiting for Armageddon" on Netflix as well.

These people are trying to get the world to end. It's insane.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
20-04-2014, 02:01 PM
So I saw this post and am watching it now. Just five minutes in when the woman is basically scaring these kids shitless....the looks of fear on their faces when they are praying...like they aren't doing it out of love for God but out of fear of something bad happening to them. It just reminded me of how my parents tried the same stuff on me at a younger age and to some degree it did work as far as scaring me...but lucky I never bought in.

It just showed me that...a lot of Christians don't do this out of love for their God...but out of fear for eternal damnation. Then they teach their kids this stuff not out of just randomness but because they don't want them to be damned as well. In that sense I feel bad for...I worry for these people because they live in constant fear at all times. This is why I've went from just saying f it they can believe in what they want to being a little more angry about religion. This is no different then some mafia boss to me and I'll be damned if I let someone live in fear of something that hasn't been proven true all because of people like the head of this camp.
[+] 2 users Like MrKrispy601's post