Ruining my Saturday night by watching "Jesus Camp"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2014, 08:12 PM
RE: Ruining my Saturday night by watching "Jesus Camp"
ShockingGaspHobo

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2014, 08:14 PM
(20-04-2014 08:02 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  Here's Rachel at 15.
http://jesuscampmystory.com/rachel/

'I could see we how looked a little scary sometimes to people who didn’t know what was going on. But camp wasn’t really as serious or intense as was shown in the movie. The atmosphere was always welcoming and fun. God’s presence was often very strong and kids felt Jesus’ incredible love, and many times it moved us to tears—good tears! I always have to laugh when people who have seen Jesus Camp meet me, Levi, or Tory. They often comment on how “normal” we are.

I’m very thankful in many ways I’m not “normal.” I was shown the way to Jesus, and I have a tangible relationship with Him. I know I am always loved by Jesus and He holds me, my heart, and my future securely in the palm of His hand. Following God isn’t normal to most of the world, but it’s really the greatest adventure you could ever have.'

Tory update
http://jesuscampmystory.com/tory/
'The experience with the young man in the church halfway across the country was one of God’s ways of showing me the movie was about something much bigger than myself. I also learned there were great things happening as a direct result from Jesus Camp. Yes, there were bad things which came from the film. There were lots of people who didn’t like it. There were several downright terrible things said about the film, including people in the film. However, the profound experience I had in the church in Virginia was enough to show me if Jesus Camp had radically changed only one person’s life for Him, it was all worth it. I was reminded the Bible says, “Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed.”

I feel soo bad for those kids.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
21-04-2014, 08:28 AM
Never watched it. But my mother in law came to visit the other day, stayed a week with us. Told me I should "really go see God's not dead... it's such a beautiful movie." and I couldn't help but laugh a little.

People are deluded.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
07-11-2015, 10:28 PM
I realize I'm late to the party on this thread but I just wanted to say how uplifting I found these comments to be. I grew up exactly like these children and I'm happy to see that there are people that care about the well being of the children growing up with this kind of indoctrination. When I watched this movie I immediately identified with the little blonde boy, crying because he didn't feel he truly believed. I spent almost every night crying over the fact that my family would be in Heaven while I suffered in hell. It's something that I've struggled with and have only recently (age 26) overcome.
The fact that these churches are able to completely dominate and brain wash children into a life full of fear is sickening. Rather than casting judgment on the children for believing this kind of upbringing we need to show them that it is absolutely possible to be happy in a religion-free environment.
[+] 6 users Like Bres's post
08-11-2015, 06:06 AM
I went to one of these camps as a kid, at the time I was wrapped up in this stuff, so I felt right at home there. It's an example of how insular and sheltered life in a fundamentalist household could be.

They had services a couple of times a day, it was filled with a lot of hooping, hollering, praying in tongues, etc. They had an evening service one night and kids had to walk back to their cabins through the woods in the dark. Some of the kids said they saw demons in the trees as they walked back to their cabins, this spread like wild fire through the camp. The explanation given was that the devil was mad at us for giving so much glory to god in the service that night.Facepalm

Even some of the counselors claimed to have saw something in the woods. They were not sane, mature voices, they were in on the stupidity along with the kids, they believed it just as much as the kids.

So I had this wacky experience there, though it was terrifying at the time. I wouldn't say this had much of an impact on me, it was just another data point, another thing I chalked up to the insane column as I re-evaluated the faith claims as I grew older.
I never saw anything that night, but it shows just how easy they let their imaginations get out of control. It could've been a simple cat or coyote in the woods and they saw glowing eyes when they directed their flashlight in it's direction. The rest occurs with letting fundamentalists do what they do best -go nuts in their imagination with the slightest provocation, not seek any mundane explanations, and only throw out a supernatural explanation in knee-jerk fashion.

I left the crazy, but my youth provided me with ample experiences of how people do not act rationally, it always left a bad taste in my mouth when I would hear some grandiose claim of the supernatural from someone. As I grew older, I became increasingly embarrassed with being a participant in this insanity.

Though I got to see first-hand how a lot of these supernatural stories can develop a life of their own, and these stories can serve as a data point that confirms people's belief system, but it's based on absolutely nothing, just wild imagination.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
08-11-2015, 06:22 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 07:44 AM by Anjele.)
Jesus Camp is so far from my own life experience that I watched it with my eyes wide and my jaw dropped. When I watch documentaries such as this I am stunned to realize that there are people who behave like that.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to be raised in a fundamentalist home and community. I guess it explains why some faiths work so hard to keep their members away from people outside of that faith. A young person can't learn/know that there are different ways to see things if their vision is obscured by god blinders.

It seems like life in a prison and the cells are made up of Bible rantings and nothing else is allowed in. If you know little of life outside that religious cage, other than fear, it must be really difficult to get out.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
08-11-2015, 07:43 AM
This film makes me angry. Obvious child abuse and not a hell of a lot that can be done.
08-11-2015, 09:44 AM
My taxes subsidize this?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
08-11-2015, 11:19 AM
Abusive pricks. I've only seen snips of it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 6 users Like Rahn127's post
08-11-2015, 12:21 PM
(08-11-2015 11:19 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Abusive pricks. I've only seen snips of it.

That video was fantastic. Thanks for sharing. It.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post