Rule 5 is officially up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2013, 09:08 AM
RE: Rule 5 is officially up
(07-10-2013 09:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yeah, it's the word "based" that is the problem. I'd rather it was amended to something like:

"This forum incorporates the principle of free-speech." -or-
"This forum honors the principle of free-speech." -or-
"This forum respects the principle of free-speech." -or-
something like that.

I've just edited it. What do you think?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2013, 09:10 AM
(07-10-2013 09:08 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(07-10-2013 09:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yeah, it's the word "based" that is the problem. I'd rather it was amended to something like:

"This forum incorporates the principle of free-speech." -or-
"This forum honors the principle of free-speech." -or-
"This forum respects the principle of free-speech." -or-
something like that.

I've just edited it. What do you think?

That's fine, another job well done.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2013, 09:27 AM
(07-10-2013 08:55 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Sooooo......free speech, but not.....?

It's free speech. It has some limitations like it has anyplace - like no screaming "fire" in a packed theatre.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-10-2013, 09:44 AM
(07-10-2013 09:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-10-2013 08:55 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Sooooo......free speech, but not.....?

It's free speech. It has some limitations like it has anyplace - like no screaming "fire" in a packed theatre.

Right.

So it's free speech....

But not.

(personally I see nothing wrong with screaming "fire" in a packed theatre, so long as:
1) there is a fire
or
2) I am allowed to beat the ever loving piss out of the asshole who screamed fire) [/sarcasm]

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
07-10-2013, 09:50 AM
(07-10-2013 09:44 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Right.

So it's free speech....

But not.

Yes. Much like, er, every other implementation ever. Yes.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
07-10-2013, 09:59 AM
There's a pretty big difference between a forum that does it's best to allow free speech, and a forum that allows free speech with certain exceptions. Neither will achieve "true free speech", but the two approaches differ vastly.

You guys realize that free speech isn't necessary to run a good forum don't you? I mean it's not an insult to say that free speech doesn't reign supreme here. I'm not questioning whether or not free speech should be allowed, I am questioning the use of the term. I just don't think we should be using the term in the rules section, along side the listed items we are not permitted to discuss.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
07-10-2013, 10:06 AM
(07-10-2013 09:59 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  There's a pretty big difference between a forum that does it's best to allow free speech, and a forum that allows free speech with certain exceptions. Neither will achieve "true free speech", but the two approaches differ vastly.

You guys realize that free speech isn't necessary to run a good forum don't you? I mean it's not an insult to say that free speech doesn't reign supreme here. I'm not questioning whether or not free speech should be allowed, I am questioning the use of the term. I just don't think we should be using the term in the rules section, along side the listed items we are not permitted to discuss.

So you are in favor of saying that we allow cussing and swearing and etc. etc. and make a shitload of rules to make sure everyone understands what free speech actually is??

I really don't see it as necessary, free speech here is the same as it is in any sensible place. Everyone can understand that free speech has some limitations. It's not any big deal, it's the common, normal definition of free speech.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-10-2013, 10:11 AM
(07-10-2013 09:59 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  There's a pretty big difference between a forum that does it's best to allow free speech, and a forum that allows free speech with certain exceptions. Neither will achieve "true free speech", but the two approaches differ vastly.

Not so far as I can tell. You've got a continuum. It goes from "no restriction" at the one end, to, well, "no speech" at the other Tongue. S'only ever been pretty small increments under discussion here.

(I submit it to you that the best way to allow free speech is with certain exceptions, hence why why every case ever has certain exceptions)

... this is my signature!
07-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Maybe you're reading too much freedom in "free speech". I mean, even as a legal right is bound to have limitations. Some people are just too "free" when they speak, and that makes everyone else unable to express freely, I think now we have more free speech than before.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
07-10-2013, 10:20 AM
(07-10-2013 10:11 AM)cjlr Wrote:  (I submit it to you that the best way to allow free speech is with certain exceptions, hence why why every case ever has certain exceptions)

Interesting. I'll ponder your submission further.

Your perspective on continuum however, I cannot agree with. At least not to that degree. It's not a smooth, gradual climb from free speech to no speech. There are leaps and bounds. A big leap from free speech to no speech is caveats. That's not to say that caveats make this a "no speech zone", but we have definitely leapt away from free speech. Far enough away that I still feel the need to call into question the use of the term.
(Does that make what I'm saying a little clearer?)

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post