Rule Change To Allow Religious Headgear...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2017, 01:57 PM
RE: Rule Change To Allow Religious Headgear...
(04-05-2017 01:43 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 01:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think it's fine. I don't understand why you have a problem with this. The basketball headgear is kinda cute. How does this do you harm? Is it a requirement that you must be able to see their hair?

In fencing you do you think it's wrong they cover their face? Are you personally against swimcaps?

If this was a must rather than a may I could understand being against it. That is the key difference to me, this is an option and options are good. All girls must wear head coverings and full length uniforms would be something to fight against because now they are not asking acceptance for themselves but forcing their views on others. As it stands I think it is nothing but a positive. The more marginalized groups get invited to join in a heterogeneous community the more they will begin the process of assimilation.

I think kids in particular benefit from organized sports (I'll admit I hated physical ed in school but other kids loved it). Team sports especially, that go beyond PE, I think anything that allows more kids to participate is a good thing. It's just another option available to kids who otherwise might have remain in the stands, regardless of how good they were.

I knew a kid in high school who wore yarmulke all the time. He played football and wore it under his helmet. His brother went onto minor league baseball (not sure if he made it to the majors or not) and always wore his under his cap.

It wasn't a big deal then. No one really cared...

I knew a girl in college the that wore a sari gorgeous colors...no one cared -- I thought they were beautiful. I see women at the grocery store wearing the full garb (face covered too) on occasion...I don't really give a shit.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-05-2017, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 02:03 PM by kim.)
(04-05-2017 01:50 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 01:43 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  She wore an old woman????

(Yeah, yeah, I know....)

Tongue

Yeah that word (the way you guys use and, more importantly, BUTCHER it) always makes me roll my eyes so hard, I get a migraine. Facepalm

Sorry - babushka is for American reference.

Just didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about if I'd said, šátek. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
04-05-2017, 02:02 PM
(04-05-2017 01:38 PM)kim Wrote:  I'm cool with it. Chances are, those little gals are going to have enough problems dealing with the oppression of their own families. They don't need oppression to cone from outside.

They should be able to play with everyone else. It really is the point of freedom.

My grandma wore a babushka - not much difference. Drinking Beverage

My grandmother always had curlers in her hair, and she always had this thing that fit over it (not like a scarf -- more like a swim cap made of material) that hid them and kept everything in place. She had several in different colors.

Then in the mid 70s wigs became a thing. She had a few of those...I used to play with the heads...

04-05-2017, 02:06 PM
This seems like an inclusionary measure, so I'm all for it. The headgear doesn't appear to have any effect on the game.

I used to play basketball, I love it! Even though these girls are probably better at it than I was.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
04-05-2017, 02:08 PM
(04-05-2017 01:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 01:43 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  If this was a must rather than a may I could understand being against it. That is the key difference to me, this is an option and options are good. All girls must wear head coverings and full length uniforms would be something to fight against because now they are not asking acceptance for themselves but forcing their views on others. As it stands I think it is nothing but a positive. The more marginalized groups get invited to join in a heterogeneous community the more they will begin the process of assimilation.

I think kids in particular benefit from organized sports (I'll admit I hated physical ed in school but other kids loved it). Team sports especially, that go beyond PE, I think anything that allows more kids to participate is a good thing. It's just another option available to kids who otherwise might have remain in the stands, regardless of how good they were.

I knew a kid in high school who wore yarmulke all the time. He played football and wore it under his helmet. His brother went onto minor league baseball (not sure if he made it to the majors or not) and always wore his under his cap.

I knew a girl in college the that wore a sari gorgeous colors...no one cared -- I thought they were beautiful. I see women at the grocery store wearing the full garb (face covered too) on occasion...I don't really give a shit.

This could open up incredible chances for these girls. Imagine one of them getting an athletics scholarship and getting to attend a university that they never could have if they had not been allowed to play a team sport?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
04-05-2017, 02:09 PM
(04-05-2017 01:58 PM)kim Wrote:  Sorry - babushka is for American reference.

Just didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about if I'd said, šátek. Wink

Or забрадка. Like so. Heart

[Image: Spa-2-baba.jpg]

Or, in the paintings of one of our greatest painters. Yes

[Image: master016.jpg]

[Image: 07ea65fe6e90721204f59cb30c2b57cc.jpg]

[Image: maistora_02.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
04-05-2017, 02:12 PM
(04-05-2017 02:09 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 01:58 PM)kim Wrote:  Sorry - babushka is for American reference.

Or забрадка. Like so. Heart

[Image: Spa-2-baba.jpg]

Or, in the paintings of one of our greatest painters. Yes

[Image: master016.jpg]

[Image: 07ea65fe6e90721204f59cb30c2b57cc.jpg]

[Image: maistora_02.jpg]

This is another point, it is not just Muslim women that wear headscarves. Practically every religion has at least one sect that requires them for modesty.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
04-05-2017, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 02:40 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(04-05-2017 02:08 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 01:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think kids in particular benefit from organized sports (I'll admit I hated physical ed in school but other kids loved it). Team sports especially, that go beyond PE, I think anything that allows more kids to participate is a good thing. It's just another option available to kids who otherwise might have remain in the stands, regardless of how good they were.

This could open up incredible chances for these girls. Imagine one of them getting an athletics scholarship and getting to attend a university that they never could have if they had not been allowed to play a team sport?

There was a woman in the olympics last summer who fenced she chose that sport because it covered her hair and the uniform was acceptable. She loved it because it allowed to participate in sports. She was pretty good too.

I don't see this as a bad thing...I see this an awakening to embrace the diversity and demonstrate a bit of empathy.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-05-2017, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 03:55 PM by abaris.)
When I was a child it was still usual for women to wear - guess what - headscarfs. Especially in rural regions and a deeply catholic environment. Older women more often than the younger ones. It was still required for women to cover their hair at mass. And that was when? Late 60ies, early to mid 70ies. So, not that long ago.

I'm fine with that. It doesn't hurt anyone and the ones arguing against such a mild form of religious expression, are mostly the ones arguing in favor of the judeo/christian heritage. Not the secularists, but the ones wanting to push crosses into public buildings and grudgingly came to accept the jews after WWII. And btw, orthodox jews also wear headscarfs of the Kipa. Should we ban them too and see how that goes over?

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post
04-05-2017, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 04:08 PM by kim.)
Here's a drawing by a most famous Czech guy ...
[Image: mucha_1280_zps0ncwwzfj.jpg]
His drawings seem to be less well known than his "pretty things".
[Image: summer_zpsfgl6zzam.jpg]
Always gotta have the headgear ... even if it is just flowers.

[Image: 3%20ladies%20in%20gear_zpsr42md7ze.jpg]
Headgear of all sorts has been and always will be a sometimes necessary accessory. It keeps crap out of the hair. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post