Rule Change To Allow Religious Headgear...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2017, 09:08 PM
RE: Rule Change To Allow Religious Headgear...
(06-05-2017 12:25 PM)SYZ Wrote:  So if I, as a woman, attempt to cross the threshold of an Islamic mosque whilst not covering my head, I'll (rightly) be refused entry because my lack of head covering is deemed "offensive" by Muslims. But, as an atheist, if I find (as is my right in a democracy) it "offensive" that women wearing hijabs come into my club basketball arena, then I'm not allowed to either complain and/or ask them to remove their head coverings?
As a clean shaven man, I find people with hairy faces offensive.
I don't how they keep themselves clean, surely when they eat bits of food, crumbs and stuff drop down into that hairy forest. Do they shampoo their faces every day or do those crumbs sit in there and fester and rot for the week, or month or however long it takes them to thoroughly clean their faces?

Now, I am offended at having to watch people with hairy faces, I thing they should be banned from competing, I think they should be locked up.

Filthy buggers.

But Siz, on a serious note:
It seems you see these head coverings as a symbol of oppression on women.
Your solution is to ban those wearing the head coverings from competing and participating in certain public events.

Would this not also be oppression, but one supported by you of these already oppressed women?
Why do you want to have your own go at them too. Is this gang mentality. Is this what bullies do, jump on the bandwagon and attack those in vulnerable positions?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
09-05-2017, 12:07 AM
(08-05-2017 08:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  For centuries, Christian women have been allowed to wear what is essentially THE same thing as the Muslim garb in question, in every possible public venue, with NO questions and no problems.
Yeah this IS discriminating against muslims.
[Image: 845853962fda30a2b09a91c3daa27b22.jpg]

With a whole lot of bullshit thrown in about how freedoms require limitations for society to function Dodgy Clever douchebaggery is still douchebaggery.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
09-05-2017, 01:05 AM
(08-05-2017 08:04 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 09:59 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  It's reasonable accommodation, in my opinion.
"Reasonable accommodation" applies to physical and mental disabilities in an employment situation.

Are you suggesting that it should also apply to psychic disabilities (like religion) in public places?

That phrase applies to employment yes, but I'm allowed to use it in other contexts.

I'm saying that it's worth examining current rules to see if they really need to be there. Does it matter what basketball players wear on their head? If it's unsafe, overly distracting or causes advantage, then sure, it shouldn't be allowed. If it has no effect whatsoever, then why should it be stopped?

Players can already wear sweatbands, have whatever hair style they want, have facial piercings... whatever. The head isn't part of the uniform.

So what is the point of the uniform in a sports setting? Primarily so that players can easily be identified as being part of the game, and being on one team or another. Having something on your head doesn't interfere with any of this. The uniform, in its entirety, can still be worn.

So personally I think this is discarding a rule that didn't need to be there. I would be concerned about them falling off, and it should be made sure this isn't an issue. Other than that, I think it's fine. Rules are allowed to change. This seems to be wholly inclusionary and doesn't cause any problems whatsoever. It's not breaking any secular laws, forcing things on others or (hopefully) causing any danger. As long as others can also wear different headgear, then all is well. It's fair to everybody.

It's a sport. It's meant to be fun, competitive and entertaining. It's not meant to be the last frontier against any sort of change.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Robvalue's post
09-05-2017, 06:08 PM
(08-05-2017 08:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  For centuries, Christian women have been allowed to wear what is essentially THE same thing as the Muslim garb in question, in every possible public venue, with NO questions and no problems.
Yeah this IS discriminating against muslims.
[Image: 845853962fda30a2b09a91c3daa27b22.jpg]

Where, outside of a nunnery, or maybe a Catholic college (and I even doubt that) have you ever seen Christian women playing basketball while wearing wimples?

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
09-05-2017, 06:23 PM
(09-05-2017 01:05 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I'm saying that it's worth examining current rules to see if they really need to be there.
OK.

Quote:Does it matter what basketball players wear on their head?
I don't know. Presumably there were reasons why certain uniform specs were adopted; the NCAA rulebook devotes five pages to uniform specifications.

Quote: If it's unsafe, overly distracting or causes advantage, then sure, it shouldn't be allowed. If it has no effect whatsoever, then why should it be stopped?
Because making an exception for a single religious group is discrimination under federal civil rights law, unless you make the exception for everyone.
I don't know that they did that. Did they? Can anyone wear any kind of headgear they want and still play?

If so, I withdraw my objection.

Quote:Players can already wear sweatbands, have whatever hair style they want, have facial piercings... whatever. The head isn't part of the uniform.
The head isn't; what you wear ON the head is.

Quote:As long as others can also wear different headgear, then all is well. It's fair to everybody.
I agree.

It still bothers me that the change was made in response to a particular religious superstition, though.

--
Dr H

10-05-2017, 03:31 AM
Well, I hope others will be allowed headgear. If not, it's bullshit. Anyone can say "this is my religious headgear", and who can tell them it isn't?

Sure, religion is a bunch of crap. But that's the world we live in, and if this change helps bring our two worlds a bit closer together then I think it's worth it. These kids are going to lose out otherwise, since they're pressured to wear something which they never asked for.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2017, 03:57 AM
(09-05-2017 06:08 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Where, outside of a nunnery, or maybe a Catholic college (and I even doubt that) have you ever seen Christian women playing basketball while wearing wimples?

There was a time, not so long ago, where christian women didn't play basketball at all. They were sent to housekeeping schools, in order to become good wifes and mothers and many of them never got a higher education, because, well, they would marry anyway.

Up until the late 70ies, it was still illegal for a married woman to open a bank account without a written permit by her husband and he could approach his wifes boss to get her sacked if he felt like her job was interfering with her domestic duties.

Yes, that was the situation in many European countries to the later 70ies. So lets keep the bar a little bit lower.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
10-05-2017, 04:13 AM
(10-05-2017 03:57 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 06:08 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Where, outside of a nunnery, or maybe a Catholic college (and I even doubt that) have you ever seen Christian women playing basketball while wearing wimples?

There was a time, not so long ago, where christian women didn't play basketball at all. They were sent to housekeeping schools, in order to become good wifes and mothers and many of them never got a higher education, because, well, they would marry anyway.

Up until the late 70ies, it was still illegal for a married woman to open a bank account without a written permit by her husband and he could approach his wifes boss to get her sacked if he felt like her job was interfering with her domestic duties.

Yes, that was the situation in many European countries to the later 70ies. So lets keep the bar a little bit lower.

My mother had to get permission from my father to open her first bank account. She's still hacked off about it.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
10-05-2017, 03:46 PM
(10-05-2017 03:57 AM)abaris Wrote:  There was a time, not so long ago, where christian women didn't play basketball at all. They were sent to housekeeping schools, in order to become good wifes and mothers and many of them never got a higher education, because, well, they would marry anyway.
Which is kinda beside the point under discussion. And at any rate, it certainly wasn't true in the part of the US I or my parents grew up in; I suppose "not so long ago" is relative.

Quote:Up until the late 70ies, it was still illegal for a married woman to open a bank account without a written permit by her husband and he could approach his wifes boss to get her sacked if he felt like her job was interfering with her domestic duties.
I'll take your word for it that this was true in parts of Europe. It wasn't in the US -- my grandmother had her own business and bank account that my grandfather didn't even know about for years.

And she never played basketball wearing a wimple. Smile

--
Dr H

11-05-2017, 12:45 AM
(10-05-2017 03:46 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 03:57 AM)abaris Wrote:  There was a time, not so long ago, where christian women didn't play basketball at all. They were sent to housekeeping schools, in order to become good wifes and mothers and many of them never got a higher education, because, well, they would marry anyway.
Which is kinda beside the point under discussion.

It is? So the fact that these Muslim kids can play basketball for the first time is not something worthwhile? After all it's the reason they made the rule change in the first place.

Oh but let's have a big ol' cry about favouring one religion over another because we allowed the Muslims to wear a fucken headscarf Rolleyes

Like I said, once you're prescribing how people dress to make a political point you might as well go the whole hog and prescribe what are allowed beliefs too. How dare they be Muslim in a public place.

[+] 3 users Like morondog's post