Poll: Rules Required?
Yes, because without order there is chaos.
No, I like to color outside the lines because I'm crazy.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Rules Requirement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2011, 07:01 AM
RE: Rules Requirement
(29-11-2011 06:40 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  I see now. That does sound like a lot of work for any one individual... Did you notice what I said there? Any "ONE" individual. If you had others doing the task of sorting through the mess that the newbies make then you could focus on others matters...whatever they are. You could give these elected people the power to approve new members and nothing else well perhaps a flashy title or something.
What do you think?

Don't the Veterans already have that power?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2011, 07:21 AM
What if part of having to click "I agree" they were also taken directly to the introduce yourself thread thereby eliminating at least one of the offenses right away. They wouldn't be allowed to do anything until there was an introduction made.

There is also the baby eating ceremony. We could refuse to allow them to partake of a particularly juicy baby. That ought a do it.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
29-11-2011, 07:48 AM
What if the site automatically prevented new users from even attempting to post a second post until their first had been approved? If they had made one post then whenever they clicked the post button again it flashed up with 'Sorry your first post is still awaiting forum approval, you will not be able to post until approval has been granted' or something like that, it saves Stark from having to go through and delete any duplicate posts.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
29-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Anyone can behave halfway decently for one post. Heck, almost anyone can even manage to be coherent for one post. Once approved.... who knows?

I just quit another forum because of irreconcilable philological differences. Had i been aware of their spelling gestapo before joining, i probably wouldn't have.
So, maybe write up the basic tenets - very, very basic! - in big coloured font.
And, if that doesn't work, how about creating special playpen and sunday school boards for the seekers of such diversions...? ... and then, nobody esle go there?

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
29-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Some really good ideas here.

There are three of us who approve posts. Myself, DeepThought, and TheObserver. DeepThought is our web designer, and good at figuring out how to impliment these ideas if possible. Hopefully he'll be around soon and can give me an idea of what the site is capable of.
I really like the idea of making it only possible to post in the intro section, then rejecting any other post attempts until the first is approved. Cuz after that a new member can do whatever they want, but it would also help wit the bots, since most seem to post in World News for some reason.

Zatamon is willing to help out too, so I think I'll bump him up to mod to give us an extra hand.

Thanks for the ideas, and the genuine concern for improving things (and for my sanity Wink)

Keep em coming.

Just visiting.

-SR
29-11-2011, 01:35 PM

(29-11-2011 09:30 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Zatamon is willing to help out too, so I think I'll bump him up to mod to give us an extra hand.

I am here, if needed. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2011, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2011 02:26 PM by FSM_scot.)
People never read the read the terms and conditions. Though i'll admit its not a terrible idea.

The other things i can think of is a message that appears to new members after their first post that says how it will be shown after it has been approved to prevent spam, so they dont attempt to repost several times.

Also some senior members could be given some moderating powers even if its just to approve first time posts only.

That way theres a good chance that there will always be a member online, who can approve new posts so there isnt a backlog.

Im willing to help if needed. Im usually on when most of you guys are offline.
29-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Yeah I'm happy to help as well if you wanted any help. With the time difference me and FSM_scot might be more likely to be on when the rest of you aren't.

Best
Worst
29-11-2011, 04:29 PM
I used to be an admin on a chat site where irritating fools role played and made "families" for fun. Needless to say I swung the BANHAMMER around a lot. I enjoyed it.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
29-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the offers guys!

We'll see how it goes with Zat, and if we need another person or two, I'll keep you in mind.

The biggest problem is people posting, then they go to look at their post and it's not there, so they hi the back button and then try to post again. So the real issue is getting people to read the rules before they post, and not really approving members. (If they are human they get approved, so it's an easy job)

Just visiting.

-SR