Poll: Rules Required?
Yes, because without order there is chaos.
No, I like to color outside the lines because I'm crazy.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Rules Requirement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2011, 04:31 PM

RE: Rules Requirement
(03-12-2011 04:23 PM)The_observer Wrote:  No No, be my guest...
I kinda like it...

Yeah?

That's what my wife said 30 years ago and see what it got me into into?!

That reminds me of a joke.

There are 2 gates in Heaven, each with a sign:

Sign #1 says: "For men who have been dominated by their wives". - a huge line of men waiting there, as long as your eyes can see.

Sign #2 says: "For men who dominated their wives" -- there is this one skinny little guy waiting there.

One guy from the long line calls over: "Hey Mac, what are you doing there?"

The guy replies: "I don't know -- my wife told me to stand here!"

Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Zatamon's post
03-12-2011, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2011 04:38 PM by kim.)
(1)Yes, because without order there is chaos.
(2) No, I like to color outside the lines because I'm crazy.

What kind of choice is this?

To the 1st one I say, Yea, so... I'm fine with chaos.
As for the 2nd... Well, yea... I'm here, aren't I?

Lines?
No lines in my world.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
03-12-2011, 08:33 PM
(03-12-2011 09:20 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(29-11-2011 07:48 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  What if the site automatically prevented new users from even attempting to post a second post until their first had been approved? If they had made one post then whenever they clicked the post button again it flashed up with 'Sorry your first post is still awaiting forum approval, you will not be able to post until approval has been granted' or something like that, it saves Stark from having to go through and delete any duplicate posts.

Deep, is this possible too?

No, the software doesn't make distinctions like that. It's possible to set a limit on the number of posts/day. If I set it to 1 post/day for the new users it might achieve that goal but it would pop up a useful message.

The other problem with the restrictions is you get the occasional frustrated/angry people why don't understand why they cant do what they are trying to do and somehow missed all the notices and rules explaining everything.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
03-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Yeah I would probably be a little vexed were I to join a new forum all eager and ready to post like a mother fucker only to be limited to one. I think the idea that sounds best and is apparently do able is to just be taken right to the introductions thread first. I wonder if this might be possible, bear with me. When a new member signs up could they immediately go to the rules page and then when they have clicked a button, let's say a next button to serve my purposes, they are taken to the introduction thread, and are locked in until they post in there? Maybe add a message stating it will need approval before appearing, with a big old florescent "Don't panic" flasher appearing?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2011, 08:51 PM
(03-12-2011 08:43 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Yeah I would probably be a little vexed were I to join a new forum all eager and ready to post like a mother fucker only to be limited to one. I think the idea that sounds best and is apparently do able is to just be taken right to the introductions thread first. I wonder if this might be possible, bear with me. When a new member signs up could they immediately go to the rules page and then when they have clicked a button, let's say a next button to serve my purposes, they are taken to the introduction thread, and are locked in until they post in there? Maybe add a message stating it will need approval before appearing, with a big old florescent "Don't panic" flasher appearing?

And perhaps below that, A smaller sign politely reminding them to bring their towels?

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
05-12-2011, 01:36 AM
I can add a notice to the top of the introductions forum.

Redirecting new users to a specific forum will be some custom code. Also - since guests are allowed to read all forums the new members would be annoyed of the suddenly couldn't access other sections until they are promoted.

If I set all but the introduction forum to read only it might still leave room for confusion though I do like the ideas.

I'll look into adding an approval message. So far it's looking like a bit of custom code to handle a some specific cases. It might be better that way too. Then I'll be able to get rid of the generic message on the index page directed at new users.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
10-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Stark, I forget why you added this requirement. Feels like "make work" to me. Since this forum is essentially an excellent example of successful anarchy in action what was the purpose of this? Normally requirements such as this are to keep bots out. But couldn't you just add "an enter the characters you see here" to the enrollment and accomplish the same thing without requiring any human intervention?

Breathing - it's more art than science.