Ruling: Jesus doesn't heal cancer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2012, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 08:43 PM by Debzilla.)
Lightbulb Ruling: Jesus doesn't heal cancer
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6835139/...al-cancer/
A church billboard proclaiming that "Jesus Heals Cancer" has breached advertising standards by suggesting the church can offer something other churches cannot, the Advertising Standards Authority has ruled.

Napier's Equippers Church had a billboard saying "Jesus heals cancer - church but not as you know it."

It drew a number of complaints including from a mother whose son had cancer.

"As the mother of a three-year-old boy who has spent the past 18 months fighting against leukaemia, I find the above billboard offensive and upsetting,"
the complainant, identified only as Jody Condin, wrote.

"It shows no compassion and understanding to those in our community that have journeyed through cancer and lost loved ones."

In her initial complaint, Condin said the billboard made her blood boil "and brings back sad memories of those I have lost in my life due to cancer. It is
false advertising."

She said the billboard was dangerous and deceptive as it could potentially offer false hope and lure in the vulnerable in their time of illness and sadness.

"I would be more than happy if this billboard was to read 'Jesus Heals' and that way it could be interpreted to mean he heals spiritually/emotionally which
I believe is more along the lines of what the church are trying to say."

Equippers Church told the authority that it was never their intention to
create offence, division or contention in the community. They had already removed the billboard but wanted an Advertising Standards
Authority ruling on it.

Their new billboard said "Jesus Heals every Sickness & Every Disease - Matthew 4:23".

The church said they believed the Bible as the authoritative and reliable source of information and it gave numerous accounts of Jesus healing people.
"Our belief is substantiated by the fact six people within our congregation have testified to Jesus healing them from cancer," the church said. The church said religious advertising and freedom of speech were vital components of a free and democratic society. Pastor Lyle Penisula recognised that using ''the C word'' made some families uncomfortable and believed this was why the billboard hit the limelight. ''In the days of Jesus, leprosy was the word of fear, that everybody sort of walked around, and Jesus in his day healed leprosy. In today's day cancer is probably the modern day leprosy and people just want to tread carefully around it.''

However, he maintained his belief that Jesus could cure cancer.

In its consideration, the Advertising Standards Authority said it had looked a photograph of the billboard which was clearly identifiable as an advertisement
for the Equippers Church.

But it said the billboard made its statement as a "strong absolute statement of fact" when it should be stated as a belief of the church. It breached the
advertising code of ethics on that ground. The authority said it acknowledged the vulnerability and sensitivities of some of the public exposed to the advertisement, but said it was unlikely that people suffering from cancer may forgo conventional medical treatment because of
the statement "Jesus Heals Cancer". The authority said that while the church wanted to offer "a message of hope" its billboard was provocative and would cause offence to people who were dealing with, or knew people who were dealing with, cancer.

It said the billboard could cause confusion for some people as it could be interpreted as meaning the Equippers Church was able to offer something that
other churches could not.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Huh
So here is my question; how is "Jesus heals cancer" false advertising, but "Jesus Heals every Sickness & Every Disease" is not?
Could it be simply because it has a "Matthew 4:23" for a caboose?

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2012, 08:45 PM
RE: Ruling: Jesus doesn't heal cancer
People are always open to generalities. It's when you get specific that issues come up. The idea of healing all sicknesses is not finite enough for the average perso to think objectively on it. they just go "yeah" or "bullshit". A specific claim though even though that general claim is making a specfic claim in a general way is going to get more arguments out of people who feel it is targetting them. Every just isn't that same sort of targeted message as a specific.

Kinda like if the mormon church said very welcoming to middle easterners, other people would be offended about not being mentioned.

I say that sign as well should be removed, but truth in advertising has never been the standard.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
01-05-2012, 11:49 PM
If they put up "Jesus allows cancer to happen in the first place" I bet that wouldn't be a breach of standards, would it?
04-05-2012, 08:34 AM
"Our belief is substantiated by the fact six people within our congregation have testified to Jesus healing them from cancer," the church said.

No mention of the *millions* of people who have prayed to the same Jesus over the years but have died from cancer all the same. Plus, I bet that these 6 people didn't stay home and did nothing more than pray that Jesus would heal them. They probably had chemo or some other kind of treatment at the same time "just in case". You don't see them putting up a "Science Heals Cancer" billboard.

Confirmation bias, anyone?
04-05-2012, 09:02 AM
They'll definitely rescind their statement if some of their members relapse.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
06-05-2012, 09:27 AM
The women clearly admitted that Jesus doesn't he cancer. And I think she is right to give out about it because then people will just think they don't need treatment, all they need is some good ole prayer. What I find strange is that, people like her never seem to ask themselves, does God even exist?