Run The Gauntlet

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 2 Average
27-02-2013, 02:17 PM
RE: Run The Gauntlet
Quote:Do you understand the Gospel of Thomas or the Gospel of Judas as evidence about Jesus?
Yes, although they are uninspired books. Even a spoof or forgery can show reality by contrast. Do you accept both Obama’s autobiographies and books critical of Obama as having something to contribute to his total picture?Are you as quick to label one side as fact and the other as forgery as you do the Bible?
Quote:I've seen Lions in person, I've heard Lions.. I know Lions exist in Africa. I have no reason to doubt their claims... If you change the scenario to being in Mexico and they tell me the chupacabra is coming... I would stand and expect atheist. (A skeptic would be a better term anyway)

You made a challenge with no qualifications. You still refuse to give qualifications.. People have given attempts you ignored or rejected. In reality, you've not actually given a challenge that can be quantified by your criteria.
My point stands. It's not whether the lion is more or less "real" than Christianity, the parable is about your demands to have evidence on your [narrow] terms. You won’t step outside either to see or not see the chupacabra or lion.
Quote:I can easily determine how such a study should be done. Let's see if you have good enough reasoning skills to figure it out too.
By the way, this isn't some uber difficult special level of rigor. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of psychological studies are done each year to the same level of rigor or even stricter. Man up or piss off.
It absolutely is different, because I'm asking yet again for you to explain how you'd do the test using SKEPTICS on a mystery religion claiming special powers/evidence for initiates only...
Quote:Your assertions are without merit, as I have clearly stated that I'm an agnostic atheist who doesn't claim to have special knowledge in the very post that you responded to.

As I have also repeatedly stated, I do not believe that there are no gods, I lack a belief in supernatural deities.
You mean you believe there is no evidence convincing you to believe in any supernatural deities.
Quote: Eyewitness testimony alone will not usually result in a conviction without supporting physical evidence. It is recognized that the eyewitness could be mistaken or lying.
That is a good standard, of course, when someone’s life is on the line in a criminal trial. Is that your standard for giving credence to historical events? Have you encountered physical evidence for lives of Alexander, Caesar, Suetonius, Ptolemy, Aristotle? Be careful because you wouldn’t want to give credence to mere written documents or artists’ sculptures, right?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2013, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2013 02:32 PM by Vosur.)
(27-02-2013 02:17 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  You mean you believe there is no evidence convincing you to believe in any supernatural deities.
No. I don't believe that there is no evidence, I have simply neither found, nor been presented with any both during my deconversion process as well as in my time as non-believer. I'm willing to change my mind about the existence of supernatural deities at any given moment if you or anyone else is able to bring forth the necessary empirical evidence.

Considering the fact that you claim to possess visual and auditory evidence to support the existence of Yahweh, you should be able to do that with ease.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
27-02-2013, 02:29 PM

This is how this thread is going.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
27-02-2013, 02:31 PM
The level of stupidity in the replies is hurting my head. I might have to stop reading this thread.

PleaseJesus, does your god like deceitfulness? You claimed you had evidence for god and that Jesus was the messiah. I can say with absolute certainty that you do not have this evidence. Prove me wrong?

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

27-02-2013, 02:36 PM
(27-02-2013 02:31 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  The level of stupidity in the replies is hurting my head. I might have to stop reading this thread.

PleaseJesus, does your god like deceitfulness? You claimed you had evidence for god and that Jesus was the messiah. I can say with absolute certainty that you do not have this evidence. Prove me wrong?
It's not the stupid that gets you in the end. It is the assertions without any evidence but the demand for evidence for the questions presented. Then the blatant ignoring of any response and the cherry-picking.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
27-02-2013, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2013 03:06 PM by PleaseJesus.)
Quote:[quote]No. I don't believe that there is no evidence, I have simply neither found, nor been presented with any both during my deconversion process as well as in my time as non-believer. I'm willing to change my mind about the existence of supernatural deities at any given moment if you or anyone else is able to bring forth the necessary empirical evidence.

Considering the fact that you claim to possess visual and auditory evidence to support the existence of Yahweh, you should be able to do that with ease.
I'd almost accept that except you deconverted. You have changed your mind or repented regarding a former tenet of belief. An amoeba has no apparent belief as to whether there is a God or not, and holds no opinion on the subject. You have a belief and are trying to shift the burden of proof. Do you believe in Peter Pan? Of course not, you find this an outlandish positon. You're claiming neutrality of position regarding whether there is a God after deconversion? Surely not.
27-02-2013, 03:02 PM
(27-02-2013 02:17 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Do you understand the Gospel of Thomas or the Gospel of Judas as evidence about Jesus?
Yes, although they are uninspired books. Even a spoof or forgery can show reality by contrast.

How can you possibly know that they are 'uninspired'? You have no evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Quote:It's not the stupid that gets you in the end. It is the assertions without any evidence but the demand for evidence for the questions presented. Then the blatant ignoring of any response and the cherry-picking.
Did you wish me to respond to you, then? I'm not on ignore?... Perhaps y'all should go through all my threads and see how many times you've "threatened" to disengage with me. It's nice to be loved! You're right, I'm ducking and evading and this useless 38 pages of thread suggests a much better use of your time. Instead of discussing the tenets of evidence and proof, let's go back to 30 pages on whether a rock can be lifted. Smile PS. TBD is full of C-R-A-P because he knows darn well I made huge threads answering everyone only to get cherry picked myself.
27-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Quote:How can you possibly know that they are 'uninspired'? You have no evidence.
Are you speaking in a general metaphysical sense of "knowing" something or are you interested in the textual evidence that they're not canon?
27-02-2013, 03:06 PM
(27-02-2013 03:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 02:17 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Yes, although they are uninspired books. Even a spoof or forgery can show reality by contrast.

How can you possibly know that they are 'uninspired'? You have no evidence.
When has that stopped a theist before?

—Thomas Henry Huxley