Rush - the Band, not the Blowhard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Rush - the Band, not the Blowhard
I'm going to date myself here. Last night my wife and I took our 16 year old to see Rush in Baltimore - it was a delayed birthday gift for him and his first concert.

I don't know how I was so lucky to have a kid who's favorite bands are Pink Floyd, Rush, Zepplin, etc., but watching him be in awe of the Canadian trio last night was "priceless."

for those that care - the guys still are amazing musicians and among the top (or top if you talk about Peart) instrumentalists ever. That said, Geddy's voice has lost a bit over the years - but it didn't detract from the show. Smile

I first saw Rush 30 years ago on their Moving Pictures Tour. As a kid, I had every album (vinyl) they produced from "Rush" to "Signals.". I would sit and listen to their albums with fellow Rush afficianados or alone with headphones on taking in the music and lyrics, memorizing every word.

Why do I bring all this up? As a secondary setup, an old friend of mine put up a video from David Letterman featuring Steve Martin (and band) singing an atheist song - since atheists got no music...it was funny...

So I'm listening to Rush last night and it dawns on me - some 34 years of listening to them later - these guys are atheists and they put it out there - we do have music!!! All this time I'd never made the conscience connection - I admit, my embarrassment was slightly higher than my joy in discovery.

Anyway, Rush has yet to produce their latest album - but they did play a couple songs from it last night and thought I'd share my little story as well as the lyrics to BU2B (Brought Up To Believe) and see what you think - Cheers, Sean

I was brought up to Believe
the universe has a plan,
we are only human, It's
not ours to understand.
The universe has a plan,
and it's for the best.
Some will be rewarded,
And the devil will take the rest.

(chorus)
All is for the best, believe in what we're told.
Blind Man in the market, buying what we're sold.
Believe in what we're told, until our final breath.
While our loving Watchmaker loves us all to death.

In a world of cut and thrust, I was always taught to trust
In a world where all must fail, Heaven's justice will prevail.
The Joy and Pain that we receive each comes with its own cost.
Because of what we're winning, is the same as what we've lost.

(chorus)
All is for the best, believe in what we're told.
Bind man in the market, buying what we're sold.
While our loving Watchmaker loves us all to death.

Until our final breath, the joy and pain that we receive,
must be what we deserve, I was brought up to believe

Until our final breath, the joy and pain that we receive,
must be what we deserve, I was brought up to believe

(chorus)
All is for the best, believe in what we're told
Blind man in the market, buying what we're sold.
While our loving Watchmaker loves us all to death

While our loving Watchmaker loves us all to . . .
Loves us all to . . . death.

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2011, 03:29 PM
RE: Rush - the Band, not the Blowhard
No Rush fans here? Sad

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
23-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Rush fan here. I have met the band on three occassions and even given each member and their road manager an EP with four songs that a band I was in at the time had just recorded. They told me they thought the music was good. I have at least seven Rush albums. My favorites are the first album and 2112. I have seen them live at least 4 times. They are a great bunch of guys. Interesting to talk to and obviously intellegent.

They have many songs with thought provoking lyrics that carry astute obsevations. It doesn't surprise me at all that more of that is on the way.

As for kids liking what we like, I am noticing a lot of that. Since I teach guitar I am noticing what music minded kids like and there is a lot of older stuff that kids today really like. A lot of today's musicians have not learned that blues-jazz groove that drives the rock and roll heart.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes No J.'s post
23-04-2011, 11:12 PM
I've always liked Rush but I don't consider myself a huge fan. Not bcause I don't consider them a great band but I haven't had the oppurtunity to listen through their collection. Maybe I should do that.
23-04-2011, 11:59 PM
(23-04-2011 07:02 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  atheists got no music...

ever heard of Tim Minchin? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFO6ZhUW38w

Anyways, I had never heard of Rush, it's interesting to know that there are people out there singing about atheism. Will check them out.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
24-04-2011, 06:32 AM
(23-04-2011 09:35 PM)No J. Wrote:  Rush fan here. I have met the band on three occassions and even given each member and their road manager an EP with four songs that a band I was in at the time had just recorded. They told me they thought the music was good. I have at least seven Rush albums. My favorites are the first album and 2112. I have seen them live at least 4 times. They are a great bunch of guys. Interesting to talk to and obviously intellegent.

They have many songs with thought provoking lyrics that carry astute obsevations. It doesn't surprise me at all that more of that is on the way.

As for kids liking what we like, I am noticing a lot of that. Since I teach guitar I am noticing what music minded kids like and there is a lot of older stuff that kids today really like. A lot of today's musicians have not learned that blues-jazz groove that drives the rock and roll heart.

No J. - this just gives context to why you are so cool! Smile

I was still basking in the music when I wrote this up and enjoying my little epiphany and wanted to share...

Efrx86 - can't even begin to suggest where to start with Rush. If you want more of their commercially successful music, I'd recommend a greatest hits CD - but if you're looking for some mind-blowing music, No J. Pegged it - 2112 is amazing (and very different). Moving Pictures is a mix of amazing instrumentals and radio popular music and their biggest album. Hope you enjoy!

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
24-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Love Rush. 2112 is a pretty wicked album though, as No J. mentioned above but Moving Pictures is where it's at.

24-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Hell yah, I'm a Rush fan! I started wondering what their views on religion/god were when I listened to the song, "Freewill", but I never really looked into it for some reason. I guess I just don't really care that much what a band's views are as long as they sound good. I've never seen Rush in concert, though I'd love to.

As for kids who like older generations' music: I was (and still am) the kind of kid who loved my parents' music. I grew up listening to my parents' cds (and sometimes tapes) of Pink Floyd, AC/DC, The Who, The Ramones, Rush, etc. Great music is great music no matter what your age is!

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula