Rushing a College Fraternity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Rushing a College Fraternity
My son is away at college and during holiday break he and his friend were hanging out wife my wife and I for a night. His friend was telling us that he is rushing for a frat at his college, and my wife asked some questions as she did not go to college. The friend described the rituals of degrading speech from members (brothers as he described), blindfolded trips, consuming crazy stuff, obeying stupid commands, restrictions on dress, who to associate with, and so on. I made a couple negative comments as to the "why" subject yourself to that crap. He said that it would get him girls, parties, and he would be able to denegrate other kids once a member. When he left the room my son asked me to stop making comments because he was proud of what he is going through and I was puting him down in some way.

Now when I was in college, there was no shortage of girls and parties, and I found Frat dudes to be mostly jerks. I am not against anyone who joins a frat, but I will call out stupid behavior when I hear it. I also found analgy to a church or cult in some ways. Reciting creeds, element of fear from authority, made to feel worthless, false promises, taking money. I mean, if I bought a house and recruited members by these same tactics, it would be labled as some wacked out cult.

Am I way off base here or am I just turning into a grumpy old man as I get older?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
02-01-2014, 10:29 AM
RE: Rushing a College Fraternity
(02-01-2014 10:22 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Am I way off base here or am I just turning into a grumpy old man as I get older?

You are a grumpy old man, but you're also right to question such idiotic behavior. People who stoop to that level of behavior are not your friends, and aren't worth such consideration. Likewise any girls willing to associate themselves with such aren't going to be worth it either.

But then again, I'm just another grumpy man with better expectations. Although I would strongly suggest that your son expect better in college as well. I prefer a small group of intimate friends and relationships to a cavalcade of drunken dude-bros and easy pussy... Dodgy

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
02-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Well yes, grumpy and older and SMARTER.

I cant talk about frats, my college days where short and I didnt get on with jocks or frat boys.

I was however involved in a different kind of 'club' , in my younger days, and it also invovled a 'probation' period that had some of what you descibe and then some.

I dont know why I put up with it and sure as hell wouldnt now.

Your son needs to go through this and find out for himself if this is what he really wants to be a part of, my guess is that reality will hit him hard at one point and he'll go on to be his own man.

Just tell him to be smart about whats happening and to think twice before getting talked into a situation that might ruin the rest of his (and possibly someone else's) life.

4 hints, 1>cool the booze and drugs, 2> make sure the pussy is of age and willing (not drunk). 3> if it seems/feels wrong, it is, dont do it. 4> Treat people with respect, the way you would want to be treated but dont take any shit.
[+] 4 users Like War Horse's post
02-01-2014, 04:23 PM
(02-01-2014 11:01 AM)War Horse Wrote:  4 hints, 1>cool the booze and drugs, 2> make sure the pussy is of age and willing (not drunk). 3> if it seems/feels wrong, it is, dont do it. 4> Treat people with respect, the way you would want to be treated but dont take any shit.

Agreed. Cool

02-01-2014, 04:30 PM
(02-01-2014 11:01 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Well yes, grumpy and older and SMARTER.

I cant talk about frats, my college days where short and I didnt get on with jocks or frat boys.

I was however involved in a different kind of 'club' , in my younger days, and it also invovled a 'probation' period that had some of what you descibe and then some.

I dont know why I put up with it and sure as hell wouldnt now.

Your son needs to go through this and find out for himself if this is what he really wants to be a part of, my guess is that reality will hit him hard at one point and he'll go on to be his own man.

Just tell him to be smart about whats happening and to think twice before getting talked into a situation that might ruin the rest of his (and possibly someone else's) life.

4 hints, 1>cool the booze and drugs, 2> make sure the pussy is of age and willing (not drunk). 3> if it seems/feels wrong, it is, dont do it. 4> Treat people with respect, the way you would want to be treated but dont take any shit.

QFFT

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
02-01-2014, 04:35 PM
I'm a old guy, care to explain what QFFT means?
02-01-2014, 04:40 PM
(02-01-2014 04:35 PM)War Horse Wrote:  I'm a old guy, care to explain what QFFT means?

"quoted for fucking truth" Thumbsup

(02-01-2014 04:35 PM)War Horse Wrote:  I'm a old guy, care to explain what QFFT means?

Quoted For Fucking Truth

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=QFFT

Even I had to search for the meaning.

Quoted For Fucking Truth.
02-01-2014, 04:41 PM
I find your lacks of internetz disturbing

[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post