Rushing a College Fraternity
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2014, 04:43 PM
RE: Rushing a College Fraternity
I see said the blind man... now I know..... thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
02-01-2014, 06:24 PM
I loved the frat boys when I was at Uni. I used to buy them kegs and booze the night before midterms and finals 'cause UMD graded on a Bell Curve and anything I could do to lower the average mean to put me 2 standard deviations above was worth it. ... I realize now that was rather Machiavellian of me. But I learned that at Uni. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
02-01-2014, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2014 07:10 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-01-2014 10:22 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  My son is away at college and during holiday break he and his friend were hanging out wife my wife and I for a night. His friend was telling us that he is rushing for a frat at his college, and my wife asked some questions as she did not go to college. The friend described the rituals of degrading speech from members (brothers as he described), blindfolded trips, consuming crazy stuff, obeying stupid commands, restrictions on dress, who to associate with, and so on. I made a couple negative comments as to the "why" subject yourself to that crap. He said that it would get him girls, parties, and he would be able to denegrate other kids once a member. When he left the room my son asked me to stop making comments because he was proud of what he is going through and I was puting him down in some way.

Now when I was in college, there was no shortage of girls and parties, and I found Frat dudes to be mostly jerks. I am not against anyone who joins a frat, but I will call out stupid behavior when I hear it. I also found analgy to a church or cult in some ways. Reciting creeds, element of fear from authority, made to feel worthless, false promises, taking money. I mean, if I bought a house and recruited members by these same tactics, it would be labled as some wacked out cult.

Am I way off base here or am I just turning into a grumpy old man as I get older?

Totally depends on which one, and where it is. Some are SO retarded, they are idiotic. Some (especially the academic ones, engineering), are pretty enlightened. Many places have outlawed that degrading (hazing) crap. The fact they're still doing that "hazing" bullshit means they're stuck in the 19th Century. Some have files of exams, which (as Girly says) won't *take* the test, but does offer help with knowing what you're facing. We have the "House system" at Cal Tech,
but I don't really live on campus anyway. It's a hell of a lot better than the dorm, (I think). Later the professional ones can help with getting in the door for job interviews, I hear. Need to *be careful*. Sounds like he picked the wrong one. He should talk to a grad about noise, drugs, alcohol, and safety at the house he's rushing. I did live in the Summer at the affiliated house in the East, and that was very nice and mellow, and handy, and mostly empty.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
02-01-2014, 06:53 PM
I loved the frats when I was in college! I mean, they were a bunch of dumb motherfuckers, and the whole thing is stupid. But man, they serve their purpose. All you had to do was know a guy in a frat. You get invited to their party, drink their beer for free, and tell some dumb chick that you're greek and you're in like Flynn!

You don't have to actually be in a dumb frat to reap the benefits those shaved apes get. You just gotta know how to party!

Ah, the good old days. Wonder why I never ended up with a degree....... Consider

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post