Russia Could Invade Ukraine Within Hours.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Russia Could Invade Ukraine Within Hours.
40,000 troops on the Ukraine border along with air support. This is some serious sh*t.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/02/world/euro...?hpt=hp_t1

Muffsy, I do believe I've had several conversations with you about US defense spending where you assured me we would never, ever come to blows with another nation. What happened?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2014, 12:42 PM
RE: Russia Could Invade Ukraine Within Hours.
(02-04-2014 12:26 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  40,000 troops on the Ukraine border along with air support. This is some serious sh*t.

Muffsy, I do believe I've had several conversations with you about US defense spending where you assured me we would never, ever come to blows with another nation. What happened?

As opposed to any time within the last three weeks?

While the situation remains bad, it hasn't particularly changed in the last day or two, has it?

... this is my signature!
02-04-2014, 12:50 PM
(02-04-2014 12:42 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 12:26 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  40,000 troops on the Ukraine border along with air support. This is some serious sh*t.

As opposed to any time within the last three weeks?

While the situation remains bad, it hasn't particularly changed in the last day or two, has it?

At this point they have amassed and are in the final stages of preparing for an invasion. Hopefully Putin comes to his sense and deescalates this, but, if he does not and gives the order to invade, they're be hell to pay.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
02-04-2014, 01:11 PM
(02-04-2014 12:50 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 12:42 PM)cjlr Wrote:  As opposed to any time within the last three weeks?

At this point they have amassed and are in the final stages of preparing for an invasion. Hopefully Putin comes to his sense and deescalates this, but, if he does not and gives the order to invade, they're be hell to pay.

It's true that there's kind of a make or break, in that weather is a factor and also the Russian army's conscript cycle...

I don't know, though. What would be the consequences? If the Russian army moves to a line from Kharkiv to Dnepropetrovsk to Kherson, (Odessa's probably more than they'd bother with) what could anyone do about it? Ukraine is a neutral country, nobody has more than a lip service guarantee to them.

That would secure what the Russians care about - huge parts of the former Soviet military-industrial complex are located there. A lot of the Russian army's supply is negotiated from now-Ukrainian factories in the eastern parts of the country.

02-04-2014, 01:47 PM

Waiter, can I get a serving of Cold War, with a slice of Sum of All Fears, please?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
02-04-2014, 02:07 PM
Putin has just been waiting...

Since the end of the Cold War the overall Western military strategy has shifted significantly.

Cold War NATO armies were designed to fight against enemies of an equally technological nature... With an emphasis on infantry and armor, with a clearly defined front line.

But in the last decade, the main focus has been on fighting "asymmetrical warfare" against widely dispersed terrorist groups who can blend in with civilian populations. Against which large infantry divisions and main battle tanks are less effective, so the emphasis has been on smaller, tighter units.

The British Army has announced it will not be seeking a replacement for the Challenger 2 main battle tank, due to the "unlikelihood of state on state warfare", and the limited usefulness of tanks in anti-terrorist operations.

If this had occurred maybe 10 years from now, there would be almost nothing to stop Putin rolling his tanks well into Eastern Europe and maybe beyond.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-04-2014, 02:27 PM
(02-04-2014 02:07 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  If this had occurred maybe 10 years from now, there would be almost nothing to stop Putin rolling his tanks well into Eastern Europe and maybe beyond.

Blink

The Russian army is a tiny fragment of the old Soviet + Pact forces. The decrease in NATO forces is commensurate, the difference being they could actually afford to spend more but don't need to (unlike Russia). And alse that the entire Warsaw Pact and the Baltics are in NATO now. And also that Russia's force projection capability in eastern Europe is much crappier than NATO's. And also that combined NATO military spending is 10 times Russia's.

And notwithstanding nuclear weapons. Which are kind of a big deal.

What Putin can go after is what people don't care about. That's limited to (maybe) central Asia, (maybe) Transcaucasia, and (maaaaaybe) eastern Ukraine.

02-04-2014, 02:37 PM
(02-04-2014 02:27 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 02:07 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  If this had occurred maybe 10 years from now, there would be almost nothing to stop Putin rolling his tanks well into Eastern Europe and maybe beyond.

Blink

The Russian army is a tiny fragment of the old Soviet + Pact forces. The decrease in NATO forces is commensurate, the difference being they could actually afford to spend more but don't need to (unlike Russia). And alse that the entire Warsaw Pact and the Baltics are in NATO now. And also that Russia's force projection capability in eastern Europe is much crappier than NATO's. And also that combined NATO military spending is 10 times Russia's.

And notwithstanding nuclear weapons. Which are kind of a big deal.

What Putin can go after is what people don't care about. That's limited to (maybe) central Asia, (maybe) Transcaucasia, and (maaaaaybe) eastern Ukraine.

At present yes, but Putin is expanding his military... My point being that 10 or 15 years from now, NATO may have reorganized itself to the point where it can't oppose a Cold War type military in the way it could once do.

It was a very premature thing for many governments to declare state on state warfare to be a thing of the past. This has demonstrated that new tensions and threads can spring up unexpectedly.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
02-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Thumbs Down RE: Russia Could Invade Ukraine Within Hours.
Hmm. NATO, the greatest purveyor of murder, destruction, and arms dealing of the last couple decades, is scrambling to fear and war monger to make itself relevant and make a nice profit.

That's cute and all, but it's just stupid and irresponsible Drinking Beverage
02-04-2014, 02:42 PM
(02-04-2014 02:39 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Hmm. NATO, the greatest purveyor of murder, destruction, and arms dealing of the last couple decades, is scrambling to fear and war monger to make itself relevant and make a nice profit.

That's cute and all, but it's just stupid and irresponsible Drinking Beverage

Being opposed to war is one thing...

But I sleep much better knowing there's an air force watching our skies.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post