Russia, the most dangerous place for a journalist to work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Russia, the most dangerous place for a journalist to work
It's riskier to live in and report on Russia than it is to report from a war zone. Over the past couple decades, over 200 journalists have been murdered, mysteriously disappeared, or accidentally threw themselves from a building.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jou..._in_Russia

Russia is in the top 3 for countries with the most murdered journalists, and in the top 10 for countries with the most unsolved journalist murders per capita.
http://cpj.org/reports/CPJ.Anatomy%20of%20Injustice.pdf

I admit this is in part inspired by the boner I&I has for Russia. Russia has a horrible government. This is just one aspect of Russia's atrocious record on freedom of speech. In many ways, Russia today is worse than during the Soviet era, and what may be surprising to some is that it is riskier to be a journalist today in Russia than during Communist rule.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like BryanS's post
10-10-2013, 11:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2013 12:08 AM by PoolBoyG.)
RE: Russia, the most dangerous place for a journalist to work
(10-10-2013 06:58 PM)BryanS Wrote:  It's riskier to live in and report on Russia than it is to report from a war zone. Over the past couple decades, over 200 journalists have been murdered, mysteriously disappeared, or accidentally threw themselves from a building.

Russia is in the top 3 for countries with the most murdered journalists, and in the top 10 for countries with the most unsolved journalist murders per capita.

I admit this is in part inspired by the boner I&I has for Russia. Russia has a horrible government. This is just one aspect of Russia's atrocious record on freedom of speech. In many ways, Russia today is worse than during the Soviet era, and what may be surprising to some is that it is riskier to be a journalist today in Russia than during Communist rule.

Well that was a terrible and biased post. I understand what you're trying to say, but you did such a con job.

Russia IS a war zone. Did you even bother to look at your link? HALF of the numbers were killed IN THE LINE OF FIRE in the Caucasus war zones. That's directly related to war. Many more were indirectly killed due to war - kidnapped, hostage, targeted killings.

And please spare me your crocodile tears. Do you really have some sort old prejudiced towards Russia? Russia in no way has the number near to the US in the amount of people imprisoned (total, and percentage wise), the number of countries bombed, the number of countries invaded, the number of civilians murdered, the number of people displaced... it wouldn't even be possible for them to even come close.

You can do better. Don't go this FOX news, conspiracy theorist route of just lying and trying for pure non fact based emotionalism. No one gains from it.

BRING SOLID FACTS. Can you show how many people were chased by the Russian government across the globe, or downed official Presidential planes of other countries to catch whistle-blowers, or kept a journalist in a Yemen a jail for revealing covered up drone strikes on civilians?

Note: And for the love of god, I know users are thinking this, but just because I'm not a red baiting - foaming at the mouth anti-Russian - doesn't mean I think "the Russian government can do/has done no wrong". I'm just keeping to reality.
Note 2: Same note as above, but directed in relation to user I&I.
11-10-2013, 12:14 AM
(10-10-2013 11:48 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 06:58 PM)BryanS Wrote:  It's riskier to live in and report on Russia than it is to report from a war zone. Over the past couple decades, over 200 journalists have been murdered, mysteriously disappeared, or accidentally threw themselves from a building.

Well that was a terrible and biased post. I understand what you're trying to say, but you did such a con job.

Russia IS a war zone. Did you even bother to look at your link? HALF of the numbers were killed IN THE LINE OF FIRE in the Caucasus war zones. That's directly related to war. Many more were indirectly killed due to war - kidnapped, hostage, targeted killings.

And please spare me your crocodile tears. Do you really have some sort old prejudiced towards Russia? Russia in no way has the number near to the US in the amount of people imprisoned (total, and percentage wise), the number of countries bombed, the number of countries invaded, the number of civilians murdered, the number of people displaced... it wouldn't even be possible for them to even come close.

You can do better. Don't go this FOX news, conspiracy theorist route of just lying and trying for pure non fact based emotionalism. No one gains from it.

BRING SOLID FACTS. Can you show how many people were chased by the Russian government across the globe, or downed official Presidential planes of other countries to catch whistle-blowers, or kept a journalist in a Yemen a jail for revealing covered up drone strikes on civilians?

EDIT: And for the love of god, I know users are thinking this, but just because I'm not a red baiting - foaming at the mouth anti-Russian - doesn't mean I think "the Russian government can do/has done no wrong". I'm just keeping to reality.

You didn't notice all the journalists that were murdered outside of the war years? According to this source which has convenient statistics (you can click on type of death to see this), 21% of deaths were in combat situations, 14% 'dangerous assignments', and 64% were murdered.
http://cpj.org/killed/europe/russia/

It's too bad if you don't like the facts, but Russia has been a very un-free place, and speaking out against the government is not safe to do. There are plenty of examples we could go through outside of journalism, but for now I'll just stick with the OP topic.

You complain about a lack of facts, but then provide none of your own and discount the resources I provided in the OP.
11-10-2013, 05:04 AM
(10-10-2013 11:48 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  BRING SOLID FACTS. Can you show how many people were chased by the Russian government across the globe, or downed official Presidential planes of other countries to catch whistle-blowers, or kept a journalist in a Yemen a jail for revealing covered up drone strikes on civilians?

And how has that anything to do with the danger to journalists?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "I'm going to shoot the place down" cuz this cinn. Roll is stale Bows and Arrows 10 155 30-05-2014 08:07 PM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  Russia Could Invade Ukraine Within Hours. Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 71 811 04-04-2014 11:14 PM
Last Post: Sam
  Treatment of gays in russia donotwant 0 87 28-02-2014 07:54 AM
Last Post: donotwant
  Nice Work South Carolina BrokenQuill92 1 161 29-10-2013 08:10 PM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  In Post-Soviet Russia Highwayman Steals Road Revenant77x 1 183 02-08-2013 07:15 PM
Last Post: Grassy Knoll
  Russia takes two steps back. LadyJane 29 988 20-06-2013 05:42 PM
Last Post: PoolBoyG
  About the French Village that's gonna be the only place that'll survive after 2012... Kikko 4 526 23-12-2010 03:40 AM
Last Post: No J.