Russian History and Literature

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-07-2013, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2013 06:40 PM by elegant_atheist.)
Wink Russian History and Literature
I would like to receive suggestions on the best books to read to increase knowledge of Russian history and life of everyday people. Preferably I would like for them to be nonfiction and post-communism. Personal accounts and autobiographies would be great. Thanks for your help. Smile

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2013, 09:01 PM
RE: Russian History and Literature
I'd go with the Gulag Archipelago collection if you want to know more about the Siberian labor camps.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
25-07-2013, 11:52 PM
(25-07-2013 09:01 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I'd go with the Gulag Archipelago collection if you want to know more about the Siberian labor camps.

(25-07-2013 06:30 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  ...I would like for them to be nonfiction...

Drinking Beverage
26-07-2013, 03:26 AM
(25-07-2013 11:52 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 09:01 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I'd go with the Gulag Archipelago collection if you want to know more about the Siberian labor camps.

(25-07-2013 06:30 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  ...I would like for them to be nonfiction...

Drinking Beverage

The series is a compilation of Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn's personal accounts and of his acquaintances' in the gulags. Drinking Beverage

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
26-07-2013, 08:46 AM
How familiar are you with Russian history prior to the fall of Communism? If you'd like to understand the Russian mindset the totality of their history would help.

Logica's recommendation while not if you initial parameters is an excellent one!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
01-08-2013, 11:49 PM
(25-07-2013 06:30 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  I would like to receive suggestions on the best books to read to increase knowledge of Russian history and life of everyday people. Preferably I would like for them to be nonfiction and post-communism. Personal accounts and autobiographies would be great. Thanks for your help. Smile

The best book I have ever read - fiction or non-fiction - is "Peter the Great" by Robert Massie. Absolutely unbelievable read. Very difficult to put down. Fascinating character, and a more than generous discussion of the other key figures of that time.

Orlando Figes "A People's Tragedy" about the Russian Revolution, and the events that led to it is also very good. Enormous book - 900 odd pages from memory, no shortage of detail. Otherwise Robert Massie wrote another book called "Nicholas and Alexandra" which is very good too.
[+] 1 user Likes Swedgen's post