Ruth Bader Ginsburg wants an all-female Supreme Court

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Ruth Bader Ginsburg wants an all-female Supreme Court
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/justice-...reme-court
Quote:And when I’m sometimes asked when will there be enough [women on the court]? And I say when there are nine, people are shocked. But there’d been nine men, and nobody’s ever raised a question about that.

I don't agree. The point of affirmative action is to to try to make representation more equal, not to swing far in the opposite direction to "balance out" an injustice that happened in the past. You need to admit that it was a problem and then attempt to keep it fairly balanced and diverse going forward (well, as balanced as you can with a odd number of judges).

I hope this isn't too much of a false equivalency, but to me it's kind of like saying "Well, black people didn't used to be able to vote, so now we should make it so white people can't vote, just for a while, to balance out the past injustice."

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2015, 05:41 PM
RE: Ruth Bader Ginsburg wants an all-female Supreme Court
(07-02-2015 05:25 PM)cactus Wrote:  http://cnsnews.com/news/article/justice-...reme-court
Quote:And when I’m sometimes asked when will there be enough [women on the court]? And I say when there are nine, people are shocked. But there’d been nine men, and nobody’s ever raised a question about that.

I don't agree. The point of affirmative action is to to try to make representation more equal, not to swing far in the opposite direction to "balance out" an injustice that happened in the past. You need to admit that it was a problem and then attempt to keep it fairly balanced and diverse going forward (well, as balanced as you can with a odd number of judges).

I hope this isn't too much of a false equivalency, but to me it's kind of like saying "Well, black people didn't used to be able to vote, so now we should make it so white people can't vote, just for a while, to balance out the past injustice."

I don't think she means that specifically.

What she is saying throughout most of the history of the supreme court the justices were all men and no one thought anything about it.

No one thought to question it.

Times they are a changing...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

07-02-2015, 05:48 PM
(07-02-2015 05:25 PM)cactus Wrote:  http://cnsnews.com/news/article/justice-...reme-court

Thanks for making her point for her.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
07-02-2015, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2015 06:12 PM by cactus.)
I'm not saying we should implement affirmative action in the Supreme Court. Her comment just made it sound like she would prefer to see an all-female court, rather than a diverse one. If it just so happened that nine women ended up on the court, I don't know anyone who would have a problem with that. However, I do think the selection process should take into account whether the court is representative of the whole population. It would seem a little shady if all the Supreme Court Justices were born and raised in Michigan, for example.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
07-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Is their gender the only reason for their appointment whether male or female?
The question makes no sense.
07-02-2015, 06:14 PM
I suspect Ruth was having a bit of fun. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-02-2015, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't take this too seriously...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
07-02-2015, 06:26 PM
Well since women are more and more taking over higher education, makes perfect sense to me. Why not ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-02-2015, 07:59 PM
We've had 9 swinging dicks on the court and they sucked balls. I say, let's give it a try.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
08-02-2015, 04:11 AM
What purpose would that serve? Seriously, how would things be different? If it winds up that way, without forcing 9 women into the USA's Supreme Court, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't happen. Forcing it is stupid, though, because you're grabbing "random" women to be placed there on the basis that... they're women. It's not necessary that they have better qualifications or anything like that.
The opposite (getting 9 men in the Supreme Court just because they're men) is also stupid, and for the exact same reasons.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?