Ryan Bell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Ryan Bell
Ryan Bell's year of "trying on atheism" is nearly up. Any predictions on where he'll land? I've seen him speak and listened to a number of videos and have been reading his blog page but I'm not sure. I think I'd be surprised if he said he was still a theist but wouldn't be if he ended up some sort of deist or taking a very agnostic position on either side. If I had to bet I'd come down on the atheist side but that may just be wishful thinking.

A Year Without God

Thread from last year (didn't want to necro)

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2014, 07:57 PM
RE: Ryan Bell
I honestly haven't been paying too much attention to him or his writing. I was interested to see that he and Richard Carrier will be doing a webinar next month about Bell's journey and figuring out where he'll land. I'm contemplating catching up on his blog and seeing if this would be worth participating in.

Will Ryan Bell Remain an Atheist? A Dialogue on Life Without God with Richard Carrier

I'm just thinking out loud.
04-11-2014, 07:59 PM
just taking a guess, but I bet he goes with no change. still a christian

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
04-11-2014, 08:00 PM
So by trying on atheism, he simply stopped all his religious practices for a year.

He didn't burst into fire. Probably felt more productive in his life and began to cherish the one life he's sure to have.

I hope he came away with the idea that his morals were still in tact as an atheist and his craving for baby back ribs is perfectly normal.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
05-12-2014, 09:36 AM
Update here.

As someone who has not been through the process of losing a faith, I enjoyed watching this video. The Truman Show comparison was interesting.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
05-12-2014, 12:30 PM
I didnt realize he was seriously doubting when he started this and that was the reason he lost his job.

He sounds like he is mostly across that "lake" he discusses in the video.

To me, he still sounds very protective of his former faith, I don't think he has realized the damage it has done to some, fear of hell, fear of Jesus coming any minute, men are head of the house kind of stuff. And that he played a role in it.

Once he sees that piece of it all, IMO, he will have fully "arrived" at the atheist shore. I think he still wants to cling to the idea of religion is harmless.

His eyes are open, he is awakened, but still clearing out the sleep sand and squinting from the bright lights, soon he will be adjusted.

just my two cents.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
05-12-2014, 12:36 PM
(05-12-2014 12:30 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  ...
just my two cents.

The metaphor alone was worth $20.

Smile

05-12-2014, 12:42 PM
The impression that I get is that he is now an atheist and will remain so but that he is looking for more. He embraced theism for community and purpose and is looking for a replacement for that and thought he'd find it in atheism because, like many theists, he didn't realize that it's just the answer to a single question.

I think he's realizing that there are secular organizations that do provide both community and purpose and he can align with one of them, or even start his own. Once that fully sinks in he'll understand that being an atheist is really a very minor part of anybody's life and that it is now up to him what he does with his life.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
05-12-2014, 02:25 PM
I've been following his blog, and I think that at the end of it all, whatever he identifies as, he will be either an atheist or an apatheist, but most of all a humanist.

I also think he's aware that religion can be harmful. However (and I'm speculating here) he sees it as a contrast between religion-as-practiced-by-bad people versus -good-people. The megachurch pastors only looking to line their own pockets? Bad people. The ones traumatizing their flocks with hellfire and brimstone? Bad people. The one focused on charity? Good people.

If that's what he thinks, I kinda agree with him. Without people, religion's just harmless words on a page.
05-12-2014, 03:04 PM
So he's a Mormon? They dis-own people for doing what he did don't they? Does he really have a choice at this point?

Doesn't seem like the Mormons would allow him back.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition