SC Cop and the girl who recorded the video

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2015, 02:09 PM
The level of bizarreness and outrage just seems to grow with this story. They arrested the girl who recorded the video for "disrupting school." I'm sorry, but if "disrupting school" is now a criminal offense warranting arrest, our kids are screwed. The kid who cut the loud fart? Told a joke? Answered a question incorrectly and distracted the class and/or teacher?

WTF No

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/black-te...-injuries/

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
29-10-2015, 02:19 PM
RE: SC Cop and the girl who recorded the video
From what I read they weren't even supposed to have their phones in the classroom. Phones in the classroom are a "disruption" that other students have been suspended and arrested for. By recording the video she kind of let everyone know she had the phone in the classroom violating the rules. In one of the videos one of the adults can be heard saying put your phones away.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
29-10-2015, 02:22 PM
(29-10-2015 02:19 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  From what I read they weren't even supposed to have their phones in the classroom. Phones in the classroom are a "disruption" that other students have been suspended and arrested for. By recording the video she kind of let everyone know she had the phone in the classroom violating the rules. In one of the videos one of the adults can be heard saying put your phones away.

Suspension is not a crazy outcome because that's rather an explicit school commonplace rule. Though it's still a judgement call to when or when you don't really follow those types of rules to a tee, and this was an action nothing of the sort should of been done to about with that student I think.

How that transfers to arrested is an excessive step. Though I guess South Carolina sucks that much.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
29-10-2015, 02:28 PM
(29-10-2015 02:22 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 02:19 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  From what I read they weren't even supposed to have their phones in the classroom. Phones in the classroom are a "disruption" that other students have been suspended and arrested for. By recording the video she kind of let everyone know she had the phone in the classroom violating the rules. In one of the videos one of the adults can be heard saying put your phones away.

Suspension is not a crazy outcome because that's rather an explicit school commonplace rule. Though it's still a judgement call to when or when you don't really follow those types of rules to a tee, and this was an action nothing of the sort should of been done to about with that student I think.

How that transfers to arrested is an excessive step. Though I guess South Carolina sucks that much.

Not sure. Perhaps repeat offender? It does seem excessive, but some districts consider phones contraband, which will lead to arrest. I know my daughter has had her phone confiscated in class, and after the 3rd time they wouldn't give it back, even to me.

29-10-2015, 02:30 PM
Arresting a teenager for having a phone, is absolutely fucking stupid. The sheer fact that anyone would think to do that, or defend that practice, is appalling. Suspend them. Send them to detention. Take it away. Etc. But arresting teenagers in school for non-violent offenses is fucking stupid and unethical.

-Rick
[+] 7 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
29-10-2015, 02:40 PM
And then I see shit like this on Facebook. Justifying police brutality by blaming the victims is so goddamn frustrating that it makes my eyes go cross.

If a student is disruptive in class (outside of posing a violent threat), that's the teacher's responsibility to handle and discipline. Arresting students for non-violent offenses, and especially being violent with them, is atrocious and a blatant abuse of power.

[Image: e026f7b9fe82f761dee964fb86cd7b8d.jpg]

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
29-10-2015, 02:49 PM
(29-10-2015 02:19 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Phones in the classroom are a "disruption" that other students have been suspended and arrested for.

Seriously? Arrested? That really seems completely excessive.

The schools my kids attended just had a policy that they didn't want to see them. If a kid took one out, the teacher could take it.

Most of the time they just told them to put it away.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-10-2015, 02:52 PM
I'd also venture a guess that many of those who support such tactics or seek to blame the victim or who are quick to defend such actions by the cop, are also more likely to say they promote increasing an individual's personal freedoms. And if so, that makes them blatant hypocrites. Arresting anyone for recording a video or "disrupting" a class and supporting violent arrest of a nonviolent offender isn't consistent with wanting increased protection of personal freedoms.

People like those that posted the meme I took a screenshot of, don't want freedom of speech respected if they want people arrested or attacked for "being disrespectful." They are quite literally advocating for responding to people's personal freedoms of expression with violence.

-Rick
29-10-2015, 03:23 PM
The meme you posted sums up exactly why I left the active police force and moved to the armory fixing and maintaining the weapons.

The final straw one day was a guy that was jaywalking. Multiple people had been run over in this area and they wanted us to crackdown on it. So I was posted across the street in my cruiser. I see a young guy cross the street without waiting for the light, causing a vehicle to slam on his brakes, and almost get rear ended by the vehicle behind him.

I exited the vehicle and approached the jaywalker, ticket book in hand. The conversation went like this:

Excuse me, I need to talk to you concerning your illegal street crossing.

It ain't illegal to cross no street man.

It is if the light is red.

That's a stupid law, ain't no cars coming right when I crossed. I didn't get hit did I?

That doesn't matter, I'm still writing you a citation.

I ain't getting no citation man. That's stupid. I'll take it to court.

At this point, he just starts walking away. I have no choice but to grab him and pull him off to the side and put him up against the building. Instantly I have at least two people with cell phone cameras recording me, and my jaywalker keeps saying "come on man you know you wouldn't be doing this to me if I was white." Fucking bullshit, because I would and had before.

I wrote him his citation and sent him on his way. But that was it. I didn't want to do it anymore. It was like that on far too many of the interactions I had with people. Too many dumb fucks out there that think they're street lawyers, or that the laws didn't apply to them, or that the laws were "stupid" so they had the right or the duty to disobey them. Every action is scrutinized on the spot. Onlookers yelling at me to "stop being a nazi."

I now only do private property events for overtime work. Football games. Bars. Stuff like that. Chris Christie was right last night. Cops really don't want to do the job anymore.

29-10-2015, 03:38 PM
(29-10-2015 03:23 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  The meme you posted sums up exactly why I left the active police force and moved to the armory fixing and maintaining the weapons.

The final straw one day was a guy that was jaywalking. Multiple people had been run over in this area and they wanted us to crackdown on it. So I was posted across the street in my cruiser. I see a young guy cross the street without waiting for the light, causing a vehicle to slam on his brakes, and almost get rear ended by the vehicle behind him.

I exited the vehicle and approached the jaywalker, ticket book in hand. The conversation went like this:

Excuse me, I need to talk to you concerning your illegal street crossing.

It ain't illegal to cross no street man.

It is if the light is red.

That's a stupid law, ain't no cars coming right when I crossed. I didn't get hit did I?

That doesn't matter, I'm still writing you a citation.

I ain't getting no citation man. That's stupid. I'll take it to court.

At this point, he just starts walking away. I have no choice but to grab him and pull him off to the side and put him up against the building. Instantly I have at least two people with cell phone cameras recording me, and my jaywalker keeps saying "come on man you know you wouldn't be doing this to me if I was white." Fucking bullshit, because I would and had before.

I wrote him his citation and sent him on his way. But that was it. I didn't want to do it anymore. It was like that on far too many of the interactions I had with people. Too many dumb fucks out there that think they're street lawyers, or that the laws didn't apply to them, or that the laws were "stupid" so they had the right or the duty to disobey them. Every action is scrutinized on the spot. Onlookers yelling at me to "stop being a nazi."

I now only do private property events for overtime work. Football games. Bars. Stuff like that. Chris Christie was right last night. Cops really don't want to do the job anymore.

If you support the message in that meme, you're the type of person who shouldn't have the authority afforded to those enlisted to protect and serve citizens.

-Rick