SC Cop and the girl who recorded the video

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2015, 04:55 PM
RE: SC Cop and the girl who recorded the video
(30-10-2015 04:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-10-2015 03:52 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  A child being disobedient in the classroom is not something you call the cops for.

Seriously. How is this hard? What would you have done? Easy: Not call the cops. This is not a police matter.

She did not turn her phone in? Fine. You get an F entered into your grade. Won't get up and leave when asked? Fine. You're suspended. Want to still be a bitch about it? Cool. Detention. Schools have been doing these things for years. There was no need whatsoever for a police response to this infraction.

The problem is not HOW the cop handled it. The problem is THAT a cop handled it. This was not a police matter.

No one called "the cops", he was a school cop. Just saying.

Kids had nicknamed him "Officer Slam" long before this incident.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2015, 05:17 PM
(30-10-2015 03:52 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  A child being disobedient in the classroom is not something you call the cops for.

Seriously. How is this hard? What would you have done? Easy: Not call the cops. This is not a police matter.

She did not turn her phone in? Fine. You get an F entered into your grade. Won't get up and leave when asked? Fine. You're suspended. Want to still be a bitch about it? Cool. Detention. Schools have been doing these things for years. There was no need whatsoever for a police response to this infraction.

The problem is not HOW the cop handled it. The problem is THAT a cop handled it. This was not a police matter.

Did you even read the story before posting? Seems not. They did not need to call the police because he was already there. He was a School Resource Officer.

This was his job

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
30-10-2015, 05:39 PM
Students speak.

http://www.wistv.com/story/30393934/spri...ben-fields

I am not saying that this situation didn't get out of control, it did.

The comment made early on this thread that the other kids should have been removed from the classroom is not the way to go. Why punish the kids who were in class presumably to learn.

I am also uneasy about cutting a bunch of slack due to family issues. I was told the same thing when a much bigger boy slammed my son into the side of the bus and bruised up his shoulders blades and back of his head...the boy who did it had major family issues - okay, I can understand that - what you are saying is it's okay for him to beat the shit out of my kid because of it? No, what you need to do is get help for the kid in crisis before they hurt someone else.

Again, this is a white cop/black kid thing...I think more facts need to come out, as is typical with anything that can be made into a media hot button.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
30-10-2015, 05:59 PM
(30-10-2015 05:39 PM)Anjele Wrote:  .I think more facts need to come out,

No offense here Ang but, no, more facts don't need to come out before we form an opinion here.

If a parent was caught doing that to their 15 year old daughter because she wouldn't give up her cell phone, that parent would likely be now facing criminal charges and/or having regular visits from the state's child services to their home. Absent a claim that this girl was brandishing a weapon and there was a potential threat to other people in the room - a claim that absolutely no one is making here, btw - there is nothing that went on prior to that video that can in any way justify what happened. It's impossible for there to be any fact pattern where even physically touching that girl was justified.

She's not a criminal. She was not under arrest (and even if she was that isn't justified or legal). She's a 16 year old high school student who wasn't doing what she was told, something I strongly suspect every single person on this forum aged 16 or older was guilty of.

She wasn't right in taking out her phone. She wasn't right in refusing to leave the classroom. There was absolutely no reason to physically force her out like that. It's unconscionable. It's indefensible. There are any number of things they could have done, including leaving her in her seat for the class, ignoring her throughout, and punishing her through the normal means with which schools have always punished student. Detention. Suspension. Figure it out. But, the idea that anything short of full compliance must be met with violence right then and there is absurd. She's a child.

How people can accept this treatment of children in school is absolutely beyond me. This "well, but" attitude where, suddenly for the first time in history, teens don't listen to adults and must be beaten into submission is farcical. This has been going on forever.

She made a mistake and she compounded it by not listening. Ok, she should be punished. But, that wasn't punishment. That was a criminal act and every single adult responsible - the cop, the teacher and the vice principal - should be held legally accountable for it.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
30-10-2015, 06:09 PM
(30-10-2015 05:59 PM)BnW Wrote:  She made a mistake and she compounded it by not listening. Ok, she should be punished. But, that wasn't punishment. That was a criminal act and every single adult responsible - the cop, the teacher and the vice principal - should be held legally accountable for it.

She's got the Minority Leader of the SC House of Representatives as her attorney. She ain't gonna be in foster care for long. Probably won't ever need to work. Columbia, SC on the other hand is gonna have to cut its education budget even further.

#sigh
30-10-2015, 06:18 PM
(30-10-2015 06:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-10-2015 05:59 PM)BnW Wrote:  She made a mistake and she compounded it by not listening. Ok, she should be punished. But, that wasn't punishment. That was a criminal act and every single adult responsible - the cop, the teacher and the vice principal - should be held legally accountable for it.

She's got the Minority Leader of the SC House of Representatives as her attorney. She ain't gonna be in foster care for long. Probably won't ever need to work. Columbia, SC on the other hand is gonna have to cut its education budget even further.

A common hobby in Columbia has been taking on Leon Lott (and his staff), ever since he was elected as sheriff.

As for cutting Columbia's school budget...they will probably have to turn off the lights.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
30-10-2015, 07:07 PM
(29-10-2015 04:18 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  As for the kid who refuses to leave class, let them throw their hissy fit and stay in their seat. Move the rest of the class out and keep on instructing elsewhere. Don't give her the attention she is seeking.

I completely disagree. The teaching materials are in the classroom. The students will be distracted by the move. The recalcitrant student will know that he or she can disrupt a class at any time without recrimination.

I think the Entitlement Society is ruining this goddamned country. The idea that we chose which laws to abide is a silly notion.
30-10-2015, 07:40 PM
(30-10-2015 05:59 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(30-10-2015 05:39 PM)Anjele Wrote:  .I think more facts need to come out,

No offense here Ang but, no, more facts don't need to come out before we form an opinion here.

If a parent was caught doing that to their 15 year old daughter because she wouldn't give up her cell phone, that parent would likely be now facing criminal charges and/or having regular visits from the state's child services to their home. Absent a claim that this girl was brandishing a weapon and there was a potential threat to other people in the room - a claim that absolutely no one is making here, btw - there is nothing that went on prior to that video that can in any way justify what happened. It's impossible for there to be any fact pattern where even physically touching that girl was justified.

She's not a criminal. She was not under arrest (and even if she was that isn't justified or legal). She's a 16 year old high school student who wasn't doing what she was told, something I strongly suspect every single person on this forum aged 16 or older was guilty of.

She wasn't right in taking out her phone. She wasn't right in refusing to leave the classroom. There was absolutely no reason to physically force her out like that. It's unconscionable. It's indefensible. There are any number of things they could have done, including leaving her in her seat for the class, ignoring her throughout, and punishing her through the normal means with which schools have always punished student. Detention. Suspension. Figure it out. But, the idea that anything short of full compliance must be met with violence right then and there is absurd. She's a child.

How people can accept this treatment of children in school is absolutely beyond me. This "well, but" attitude where, suddenly for the first time in history, teens don't listen to adults and must be beaten into submission is farcical. This has been going on forever.

She made a mistake and she compounded it by not listening. Ok, she should be punished. But, that wasn't punishment. That was a criminal act and every single adult responsible - the cop, the teacher and the vice principal - should be held legally accountable for it.

Read what I said. It did get out of control.

The black/white thing needs to be set aside. It's a distraction to the issue at hand.

I have heard SC school admins excuse bad behavior due to family issues. Heard it from the principal who was also a minister. It was perfectly okay that my son was injured by a kid they knew needed help. It was 'gee, sucks to be your son'. How about trying to be proactive when you know there is a kid who needs some help? Or do we wait till something goes wrong, as it did in this case?

I want to hear what, if anything, was being done to help this girl. And did the officer know there were 'special' circumstances, as he should have since he was the school resource officer.

Let's also not forget that this officer didn't suddenly just poof into the classroom because his spidey senses told him some kid was not behaving appropriately. He must have been summoned. What was said, and by whom?

There isn't just one failure here.

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
31-10-2015, 04:25 AM
(30-10-2015 07:07 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 04:18 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  As for the kid who refuses to leave class, let them throw their hissy fit and stay in their seat. Move the rest of the class out and keep on instructing elsewhere. Don't give her the attention she is seeking.

I completely disagree. The teaching materials are in the classroom. The students will be distracted by the move. The recalcitrant student will know that he or she can disrupt a class at any time without recrimination.

I think the Entitlement Society is ruining this goddamned country. The idea that we chose which laws to abide is a silly notion.

The distraction has already removed any possibility of teaching. When that teacher decided to devote all effort and focus on removing the student, they gave the student the power to stop class instruction. The only way to get back on track, is to ignore the problematic student and keep going. She wasn't yelling or being loud, her "disruption" was not putting her phone away fast enough. That teacher should have simply kept teaching, but chose not to and instead chose to allow that distraction to balloon into something larger.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
31-10-2015, 04:29 AM
(30-10-2015 07:07 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  

As for the "entitlement society" line, humans and other animals feeling "entitled" isn't a new phenomenon in life. Teenagers have been the rebellious resistance to authority for the whole of humanity. And cell phone distractions have merely taken the place of the distractions teenagers used to bring into the classroom (toys, spitballs, passing notes, etc).

Clearly that teacher also felt "entitled." As did that cop. Who in that situation wasn't acting out of their own self interests?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post