SC Cop and the girl who recorded the video

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2015, 06:18 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2015 06:25 AM by Dom.)
RE: SC Cop and the girl who recorded the video
I don't think it's the entitlement society, although I do find it disturbing that so many young people think everyone owes them something - it's not good to try and build a life on that basis. Because sooner or later one learns that one is on one's own and no one owes one anything.

But I think it is more the helicoptering and the lack of freedom for kids.

We went to school - classes started at 8 am. Class was orderly. Break at 10, run around outside and eat sandwiches or apples while playing. Back to the class room until 1. The school day consisted of 4 1 hour classes on different subjects.

At 1 we went home for lunch. Then we had some 2 hours of home work, half an hour for each subject. Then we were free and went outside to play for the rest of the day.

The curriculum was demanding and required concentration. The concentration was balanced with several hours of free play every day. That's how we let off steam, learned how to get along with each other, relaxed. No adults.

I try to imagine what it would be like to be a child today and I would feel smothered, suffocated, with adults watching me every second of the day, and adults watching other adults and kids being torn from families and whatnot.

Today's kids are not allowed to be people and develop personalities and relationships, and the pressure on parents is also much, much bigger.

I don't know what went wrong, but society is micromanaging both kids and parents now and the results are not good. Gone are the carefree days of childhood, roaming free and playing games every day, and gone are the precious times of parenthood when the kid comes home, bubbling over with all the stuff that happened and chatting animatedly with parents. This is where parent/child teaching happened, you came home with stories of what you did and what other kids did and parents gave feedback.

All I can say is that I am damn glad I was born when I was born. We learned with concentration, and we played with abandon. We fell out of trees and broke our arms and we climbed rocks and got bruises. Nobody thought of child abuse when we showed up all beat up.

I think a lot of child abuse and bad behavior by kids is caused by all the pressure and repression in store today for both parents and kids.

Many things are better today than they used to be, but the pressure on people is excessive and there is no outlet. That's how I see it. It's not a matter of a specific incident, it is the way society has been usurping everyone's freedom. I suppose the idea was to lessen abuse, but the result is an increase of it. People, big and small, need room to breathe.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post