SCOTUS Scores Again!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2016, 01:38 PM
RE: SCOTUS Scores Again!
(28-06-2016 01:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 01:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/polit.../85055602/

I think I got the gist. .... but I'm often wrong. Since Plan B is already OTC and a pharmacy can't be required to stock it anymore than they can be compelled to stock Ace bandages, the case is moot. Yes? No?

Yep, unless the pharmacy specifically refuses for religious reasons. Which I guess, is the only leg they have left to stand on for objecting.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
28-06-2016, 02:03 PM
(28-06-2016 01:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I can understand some pharmacies opting not to carry opioids for the reasons Girly mentioned - increased crime, etc.

There are some things you can only get at a compounding pharmacy so there are times when you can't get everything at every pharmacy...and that's okay. Compounding pharmacies offer quite specialized medications.

But when a pharmacist/pharmacy opts to not follow a doctor's orders for personal reasons, I have an issue.

I want the pharmacist to run a check to make sure no bad drug interactions are indicated. Then I want that pharmacist to communicate the concerns with the doctor. What I don't want is a third party deciding that I cannot get the medications my doctor feels that I need because their god or their moral code doesn't agree with it. Something these people who refuse to dispense oral contraceptives don't seem to factor in is that they are not always prescribed for the purpose of contraception. It's not their call to make.

Is this another case of stupid Oregon bakers saying "We won't make your cake because you're gay." instead of "Sorry. We can't make it in time. Try this guy down the street. He's very good too." Couldn't the pharmacy just not stock birth control pills without giving any specific reason and be okay legally?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
28-06-2016, 02:12 PM
(28-06-2016 02:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 01:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I can understand some pharmacies opting not to carry opioids for the reasons Girly mentioned - increased crime, etc.

There are some things you can only get at a compounding pharmacy so there are times when you can't get everything at every pharmacy...and that's okay. Compounding pharmacies offer quite specialized medications.

But when a pharmacist/pharmacy opts to not follow a doctor's orders for personal reasons, I have an issue.

I want the pharmacist to run a check to make sure no bad drug interactions are indicated. Then I want that pharmacist to communicate the concerns with the doctor. What I don't want is a third party deciding that I cannot get the medications my doctor feels that I need because their god or their moral code doesn't agree with it. Something these people who refuse to dispense oral contraceptives don't seem to factor in is that they are not always prescribed for the purpose of contraception. It's not their call to make.

Is this another case of stupid Oregon bakers saying "We won't make your cake because you're gay." instead of "Sorry. We can't make it in time. Try this guy down the street. He's very good too." Couldn't the pharmacy just not stock birth control pills without giving any specific reason and be okay legally?

I suppose technically they could. They could also say, in Oregon, the brand we think will best serve you is out of stock....

But if the patient is willing to wait a few weeks they might be screwed and actually have to order the pills.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

28-06-2016, 02:34 PM
(28-06-2016 01:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 01:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/polit.../85055602/

I think I got the gist. .... but I'm often wrong. Since Plan B is already OTC and a pharmacy can't be required to stock it anymore than they can be compelled to stock Ace bandages, the case is moot. Yes? No?

Some pharmacists working at companies which have them in stock have refused to fill prescriptions, requiring the customer to go to a different store or come back at a different time. (There have also been cases where pharmacists have refused to return the prescription so that the customers can't get them filled elsewhere.)
28-06-2016, 02:43 PM
(28-06-2016 02:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

The thing with that is they see it as a source of some kind of pride to flaunt their religious convictions. You can't be all sanctimonious without stating your higher cause.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
28-06-2016, 02:54 PM
(28-06-2016 02:34 PM)julep Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 01:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think I got the gist. .... but I'm often wrong. Since Plan B is already OTC and a pharmacy can't be required to stock it anymore than they can be compelled to stock Ace bandages, the case is moot. Yes? No?

Some pharmacists working at companies which have them in stock have refused to fill prescriptions, requiring the customer to go to a different store or come back at a different time. (There have also been cases where pharmacists have refused to return the prescription so that the customers can't get them filled elsewhere.)

Those pharmacists should be immediately dismissed by their employer. I think they would even lose their license to practice pharmacy and the latter sounds blatently illegal, like jail time illegal. Is that what they're fighting for?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-06-2016, 02:57 PM
(28-06-2016 02:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 02:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Is this another case of stupid Oregon bakers saying "We won't make your cake because you're gay." instead of "Sorry. We can't make it in time. Try this guy down the street. He's very good too." Couldn't the pharmacy just not stock birth control pills without giving any specific reason and be okay legally?

The thing with that is they see it as a source of some kind of pride to flaunt their religious convictions. You can't be all sanctimonious without stating your higher cause.

They could not hurt their cause any worse. stoopid stoopid people.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-06-2016, 03:18 PM
(28-06-2016 01:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 01:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think I got the gist. .... but I'm often wrong. Since Plan B is already OTC and a pharmacy can't be required to stock it anymore than they can be compelled to stock Ace bandages, the case is moot. Yes? No?

It's a bit more than that. Many indivual pharmacists have refused to fill scripts for birth control pills for women too. Based on the idea that they cause a spontaneous abortion.

It's not that that they don't have them or access to them, it's that they refuse to give them to patents. Saying their belief overrides the patient's right.

Plan B is concerned moot because it's available without a prescription.

Oregon recently passed a law saying pharmacists can write their own prescriptions for birth control pills and give women a full year supply at once.

My daughter does this. She doesn't have to go to the doctor for BC pills.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
28-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Something I just thought of: would these people refuse to sell condoms as well? I know that is is moot because of the OTC thing, but it makes me wonder.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
28-06-2016, 04:03 PM
(28-06-2016 03:58 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Something I just thought of: would these people refuse to sell condoms as well? I know that is is moot because of the OTC thing, but it makes me wonder.

Good Catholics shouldn't be buying those anyway.

You know why they call it 'practicing the rhythm method of birth control'?
Because you never perfect it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post