SCOTUS bitch slaps Texas on abortion rights.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2016, 09:13 AM
RE: SCOTUS bitch slaps Texas on abortion rights.
(28-06-2016 08:50 AM)Vosur Wrote:  That sounds about right. I suppose even an adult human could be called "a bunch of cells", but that wouldn't be a particularly accurate description either. A human foetus looks much closer to a newborn child in the second and third trimester than it does to a mere bunch of cells, wouldn't you agree?

So does a plastic doll look close to a newborn child. Looks aren't a basis for much. What's the difference between a doll and a baby? or a baby and a blob of frog spawn - after all frog spawn is a bunch of cells too. Yet if I decide to kill a whole blob of frog spawn you don't care. So...?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2016, 09:16 AM
(28-06-2016 09:10 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 08:50 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I spent a good ten minutes reading this part over and over again and I'm still not sure what to say in response. I'm just completely baffled by the stark difference between our views. I don't think I'll ever be able to understand your point of view and I can imagine that you feel the same way about mine. It's utterly alien to me. My only solace is that it doesn't really matter because neither of us, as far as I can tell, are trying to legislate our moral views.

Yup. Subjective moral stuff doesn't enter into it. Currently there's a furor over consciousness or not - that to me also isn't that important. We can cheerfully talk about killing terrorists who are thinking, feeling beings, but killing babies if off the cards simply because they're conscious? Bit bizarre if you ask me.

I think killing babies that have been born is off the cards simply because we unite as a species in feeling that that's dodgy as fuck. There's no real logic behind it, nor do I think there needs to be. We act according to our evolutionary imperatives - morals if you will.

Thing is, we've got brains to deal with problems that the world throws at us that are too complex to be dealt with solely on instinct. Sure, instinct says that abortions are evil, but as you yourself have said, pure pragmatism actually trumps that. Accordingly, let's not be talking of morals when we talk of abortions and what should and should not be law. Morals are inherently subjective and cloud the issue.
Kudos to you, that was a cogent analysis of the issue. I strive to disassociate my moral views from my views on legislative matters as much as possible, although it can be difficult at times.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
28-06-2016, 09:29 AM
(28-06-2016 06:59 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I think it's a matter of opinion like any other moral issue. I'm not particularly interested in convincing you or anyone else that your moral views are wrong because it has no practical relevance in this case. We all agree that abortions shouldn't be outlawed.

My dumb ass read this and thought...well, there...we agree that the United States law regarding abortion shouldn't have been screwed with in a sneaky way by the government of TX.

The morality issue is a whole other thing. We are done here.

But.....NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! We have to beat this to pieces...'cause, reasons. Facepalm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
28-06-2016, 10:11 AM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
28-06-2016, 10:38 AM
(27-06-2016 07:47 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I think it's morally wrong to kill an unborn child because it's a human, not because it's a person.

It's a potential human. It hasn't fulfilled it's potential at 16 weeks gestation.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
28-06-2016, 10:39 AM
(28-06-2016 08:25 AM)Vosur Wrote:  GirlyMan's attempt at equating abortion with masturbation ....

Hey don't blame me. Blame the Pope.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-06-2016, 01:11 PM
(28-06-2016 10:39 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 08:25 AM)Vosur Wrote:  GirlyMan's attempt at equating abortion with masturbation ....

Hey don't blame me. Blame the Pope.

Actually they're very similar. Both can be seen as unrealized potentialities.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-06-2016, 01:28 PM
(28-06-2016 01:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 10:39 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Hey don't blame me. Blame the Pope.

Actually they're very similar. Both can be seen as unrealized potentialities.

The Pope is an unrealistic potentate Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-06-2016, 01:33 PM
(28-06-2016 01:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 01:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually they're very similar. Both can be seen as unrealized potentialities.

The Pope is an unrealistic potentate Tongue

Impotent even. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-06-2016, 02:06 PM
I'm against any law intruding on "partial birth abortion" that doesn't take into account the viability of fetus or the risk to the mother.

I've actually known a couple women who had to make that very difficult decision. Both instances the pregnancies were wanted and one fought very hard to get pregnant.

The idea they woke up one morning and decided they just didn't want to go through with the pregnancy in 7th month is insulting.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 10 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post